PK-5, 7
Brooklyn, NY

Posted January 21, 2014
Excellent faculty, PTA community, and principal! Our pre-k director recommended PS261 to us over our G&T and success charter school choices. We could not be happier here. We had an excellent Kindergarten teacher who taught my daughter to love reading and math. Since Kindergarten my daughter has also been learning Arabic and comes home with friends singing songs in Arabic. She is now in the first grade and loves it! The school is such a diverse beautiful place! Thanks to Principal Mills, the faculty and PTA at PS 261 for all their hard work in creating such a friendly and engaging learning environment for our children.

Posted October 24, 2013
P.S. 261 is a very parent friendly school. My son has been in other public schools that forces you to drop the children off at the front door and leave, but with P.S.261 they allow you to sit and have breakfast with your child until 10 mins before the first bell. The students are nice, the staff is nice. I am si excited to be part of P.S.261's community. My son is in the second grade and he loves it. The class he's in, he is pushed to do his best. The community is amazing as well. The parent board is great. The principal walked me and my son to his class the first day he started and she is very hands on. The parent coordinator knows me by name. I love it! If you are thinking about putting your child here, STOP THINKING AND DO IT!!! You'll be happy you did. :)

Posted January 27, 2012
Both of my daughters attended 261 and enjoyed it tremendously. One of them transferred from a Brooklyn private school and the other from a Caribbean country. Needless to say it could have not gone well at all! The teachers were nurturing and open to discussion and always responded to emails and requests for a visit. The curriculum was well paced and organized and learning occurred in a healthy environment. Both have since gone on to middle schools and are doing well. I am hoping to get my K and 1st grader daughters in this fall. I am saddened to hear that families outside of the district are now unable to get in. I'm still going to try! Anyone know is Ms. Zip MIlls is still the principal?

Posted November 06, 2011
We are quite happy at the school with our son in 1st grade and daughter in pre-K we feel like we can relax and enjoy this excellent community for the next five years. Good admin, good teachers, and good parents working together for a great school environment.

Posted July 17, 2011
Great administration, good parent involvement, excellent teachers and a diverse student body all add up to a wonderful learning environment for our children, who we feel are getting a terrific education. We never would have imagined we could offer them so much at a public school and we will be sorry to leave the school behind when our kids graduate.

Posted November 01, 2010
we are big fans of PS261. ourselves included, many parents have chose it over an offered district G&T spot. excellent teachers, dedicated principal, family-like community!

Posted October 19, 2010
PS 261 has an engaged principal in Zip Mills, wonderful teachers and excellent parent involvement. All of these factors combine to make for a wonderful learning environment for my two daughters, who are second graders and have been at the school since kindergarten.

Posted October 19, 2010
Diversity, good teachers have I met there and and excellent principal

Posted October 19, 2010
The school is incredibly diverse and the teachers, parents, kids and administration are fabulous.

Posted October 19, 2010
We have had a very good experience at PS 261. I have one 3rd grader and one graduate who is now in middle school. 261 has a great school community.

P.S. 261 Philip Livingston
314 Pacific Street, Brooklyn, NY  11201
Last modified P.S. 261 Philip Livingston is a Public school that serves grades PK-5, 7. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
P.S. 261 Philip Livingston Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 52 reviews. Top