Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (4 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)

This school is amazing. My older daughter "Graduated" the 5th Grade and my youngest is in 4th Grade. My youngest daughter has a learning disability and the school managed it extremely quickly for a public school. She went from below average grades to above average grades with the IEP they set up with her. We are sad next year will be her last.

My son is finishing his first year at Ps261 and he has been thriving there. He loves going to school everyday. The arts integration the school has in its curriculum has been so amazing for us. The parents are very active, lovely teachers, very approachable administration and lovely community. The school is diverse in all ways and that's why we live in NY.

My son is in PreK at 261, and he's had a wonderful year. His teacher is fantastic and works so hard to give the kids a fun, developmentally-appropriate experience while still adhering to the (IMO) over- ambitious common core curriculum. I was worried that my active, play-loving son would be turned off to school if he was made to sit and focus on overly- academic material at age 4. His talented teacher managed to get him interested in learning in a playful way. He's come home and asked to model letters out of play dough, and is writing numbers and letters on his whiteboard for 'fun'. He tells me about things he learns in science class and loves the music teacher and is singing songs from class all the time. The joyful, controlled chaos on the beautiful playground after school is wonderful to see. Ive been so impressed by how nice the kids are. The little kids are graciously accepted into the play of older kids. The parent community is amazing and active. We are excited to be a part of the community and for my son to start kindergarten at 261 next year.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

My son's teacher is extremely knowledgeable, educated, and experienced. I have a grad degree in Childhood ed. and know that she knows her stuff! I am very impressed.

Amount of homework: Agree

It can get done within a half hour or hour at most, which is what homework should be! (A "normal" student would finish my son's in under a half hour).

Develops character: Strongly agree

My 4th grade son started at this school this year. He is high functioning autism with a para professional accompanying him. The class, the students, the teacher couldn't be more loving & welcoming, along with a curriculum that helps him achieve his full potential. He is expected to do his best and his teacher maintains order and equality in the classroom without losing her loving demeanor and friendly, outgoing personality. She is extremely knowledgeable, too (I have a graduate degree in childhood ed., so know this!) I am truly impressed by this school and the teacher we have. Furthermore, the PTA is really hands on, with a parent-run after school program that really outshines many center run ones I've seen. It also had a Fall festival that was fun with an amazing turnout, is raising $ for computers for the library now, and I went to a meeting the other day, which talked about STEM (science & math) in the classes, ARTS, and more. Speaking of arts, while overcrowded schools like PS234 where my other son went in Tribeca eliminated art, language and are left with bare bones education (and I am very unhappy with the lack of education he got there!), my son at this Brooklyn school which is A+ is getting a first rate education, studying vocabulary and things I'm not even sure my 16 year old ever learned. Parents can be involved or not involved as much as they want. The principal has an open door policy, too. I have had nothing but great experiences at this school so far. Having a son with autism and getting blended into a normal school should've been a shock, but it's really a delight-- all because of PS261's principal, teacher(s), parents involved, and the students, who are welcoming, nonjudgemental and very friendly (no bullying here!) Also, just a note, my neighbor sent her now 1st grader to 3 different schools before landing here and she couldn't be happier either. If you have a chance to send your child to this school, do!

My son just started this school this year in 4th grade with a Para (he's high functioning autism, so just needs some help). I couldn't be more thrilled at how easily and wonderfully he accommodated to the class. The teacher is amazing, friendly and she maintains order without losing her friendly, welcoming, loving demeanor. The PTA is inviting and I just attended the Fall Festival, which was a really fun day for kids in the yard with face painting, bouncy house and slide, games, and a haunted house (the real thrill). Went to a meeting the other day and the PTA and principal are very involved in making it the best experience possible for children. Furthermore, my other son went to a Tribeca #1 school PS234 and he went without art, language, chorus, drama and more...not here. PS261 offers my 4th grader all those things and more! No wonder it's an A+ school. As far as academics, they are really teaching my son and expecting the most from him. Homework is neither too overwhelming nor too little. I am enjoying our experience here and would highly recommend it to anyone considering this school for their child (my neighbor tried 3 different schools before landing & staying with her 1st grader here, too). Also, about the children-- I don't see cliques and everyone has been very sweet to my "different" son, parents included. I see for the first time in my life he may have a "normal" experience in life as a result and fulfill what potential he has to its outer boundaries.

I keep reading about how wonderful the school is but it's hard to tell what makes it great. The score on this website is 6 out of 10 which is substandard and the same as other schools that get terrible reviews. Can someone address what's so special about this school?

Excellent faculty, PTA community, and principal! Our pre-k director recommended PS261 to us over our G&T and success charter school choices. We could not be happier here. We had an excellent Kindergarten teacher who taught my daughter to love reading and math. Since Kindergarten my daughter has also been learning Arabic and comes home with friends singing songs in Arabic. She is now in the first grade and loves it! The school is such a diverse beautiful place! Thanks to Principal Mills, the faculty and PTA at PS 261 for all their hard work in creating such a friendly and engaging learning environment for our children.

P.S. 261 is a very parent friendly school. My son has been in other public schools that forces you to drop the children off at the front door and leave, but with P.S.261 they allow you to sit and have breakfast with your child until 10 mins before the first bell. The students are nice, the staff is nice. I am si excited to be part of P.S.261's community. My son is in the second grade and he loves it. The class he's in, he is pushed to do his best. The community is amazing as well. The parent board is great. The principal walked me and my son to his class the first day he started and she is very hands on. The parent coordinator knows me by name. I love it! If you are thinking about putting your child here, STOP THINKING AND DO IT!!! You'll be happy you did. :)

Last modified P.S. 261 Philip Livingston is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.