Brooklyn, NY
Students enrolled: 1,220

Is 281 Joseph B Cavallaro 3

Posted May 20, 2014
If I had to say, the school is really divided into two subgroups of students, and their learning environment. There are kids who are devoted to learning, and challenge themselves to be the greatest minds. However, there are kids who create a disruptive learning environment for other ESL kids who are there because of a set back. These geniuses, and inspiring minds stay up til midnight every night, just to finish their homework. On the other side, there was kids who don't even bother and are willing to fail. The administration seems to be troubled by this group, and really, it's not their fault. The start of the child's conduct starts with the parents, and their influencing environment. The lower end of the school have a big influence causing the other kids to have a disruptive behavior. Most teachers will question your intellect, and some will not. If your child has strong academic standards, it may be a great idea to enroll your child to be around a bunch of intelligent students. The school fails to give the mature kids credit, and focuses on the kids with bad conduct. In this school there's two ways to go, to learn or not to learn.

Posted April 27, 2014
This school isn't perfect but it's everything I can ask for. People here complain about their teachers but I assure the sixth graders that not all the teachers are going to be the ones you had in elementary school. It is going to be tough but if you stay strong and is motivated to get good grades and learn, middle school is going to be a breeze. Teachers here teach valuable information that you need when you get older. They prepare you for the extreme conditions in high school and college. Students aren't the best here either but it's not as if a school as great as mark twain doesn't have bad students. It depends on the people you meet and the ones you choose to be friends with. Cavallaro has the best school newspaper in the nation. And I'm proud to say I'm part of it. For countless years, cavallaro had snatched this award from all of the middle schools with their top quality articles. In journalism, you make memories that will stay with you for life, like being able to have a Yankee stadium tour. Rarely would u have a chance to get to do this. Cavallaro might not better than mark twain and bay academy but it is still a school that won't make u regret your choice coming.

Is 281 Joseph B Cavallaro 4

Posted February 16, 2014
I just want to say that that I'm an 8th grade student and I've had a wonderful, successful 3 years in this school. The experiences that I've learned and shared have been unforgettable. The teachers, staff and principal at Cavallaro have been great. Maybe there was just a couple of times things didn't go as planned but overall everyone really showed me that they care and their involvement in my home, school work etc.. The area is very nice and safe as well. I would recommend this school to others. Thank you.

Posted February 14, 2014
I currently attend this school as an 8th grader. Let me say one thing to all you future Cavallaro students. This "All For One And One For All" nonsense you've heard about is utter rubbish. Teachers and staff pretend to care for you and make you believe that they're on your side; yet, when the real trouble comes, they won't back you up. In fact, they start singling you out and ostracizing you until it feels like you're all alone in this cruel world. You can't trust anyone to watch you back since other students are mere trash waiting to grow up on welfare. Believe me, I went through 3 years of this torture that deteriorates your mental state at an unflagging rate. Do NOT come to this school if you value your intelligence.

Is 281 Joseph B Cavallaro 2

Posted September 03, 2013
i dont like this school 4 many reasons. in math class the teacher wont let u sharpen ure pencils in class, if she dosent like u she wont let u get a tissue 4 ure nose. my teacher in our 40 min math class period, spends 20 min screaming at students over nonsense! & giving us lectures on why were SO disrespectful meanwhile shes the one thats disrespectful. she is taking time out of class over screaming and blaming us students for nonsense. also she is my afterschool teacher & when she helps me with my hw some of those answers are wrong. in la, compared 2 last yr it wasnt bad, but test prep wise very! we bearly did test prep because she was 2 busy having us finish our class reading bk. in ss class, our projects in 2 write a poem, rap,song,etc. thats hw not projects. also she asks the class many times wat our hw should be. many times she dosent even have our lesson plan so we need 2wait 15min so she can get it done. in sci class, his class is so boring that kids sleep in it. he spends 15min talkin about his daughter. we do no labs, & if we do we examine rocks. also he barely gives us projects, & for 2 quarters he didn't check our hw. this school needs help & i hope they c this review!

Posted November 14, 2011
It's a great school! Love it and would recommend to future 6th graders! Great afterschool programmes

Posted June 24, 2011
Unfortunately through out the years I have seen a deterioration in this school. The teachers are not reaching out to the students and parents. It seems that it is not as organized as far as finding new strategies and new teaching methods for students to advance more. I am very disappointed and hope they implement new programs....

Posted June 24, 2011
The teachers have very poor judgement, meaning if a student has a difficult time understanding what they are learning they don't make the effort to help them understand. The school is very disorganized also...

Posted June 25, 2010
My son, has just graduated after attending this school in the 8th grade. I whole heartedly would without any reservation recommend this school. Caring, involvement, and thoughtfulness of their assistant principal, Mr Hayden, has exeeded any possible expectations. I am also very pleased with the overall quality of education, safety, friendliness of staff, and concern for children. This school was a transition between private schooling and Brooklyn Tech where he is going to in the 9th grade. Excellent school.

Posted June 11, 2010
I am a parent of a current 7th grader and I have nothing but good things to say about my childs education at Cavallaro so far. I must admit that when my child started to attend the school I was a bit scared because I heard not so good things about the school, but I must say that everyone was wrong. Now that I think about it, everyone who told me not so good things about the school never attended, visited, or had a kid attend this school (including the parent coordinator of my childs' elementary school). My child has excelled at this school and is at the top of her / his class and can you believe she / hewill be taking the 9th grade science regents in 7th grade? one of the percs of attending this school. Smart boards in every classroom. I am glad my child attends Cavallaro.

Is 281 Joseph B Cavallaro
8787 24th Avenue, Brooklyn, NY  11214
Last modified Is 281 Joseph B Cavallaro is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Is 281 Joseph B Cavallaro Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 43 reviews. Top