Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)

Is 318 Eugeno Maria De Hostos 4

Posted June 01, 2016
I'm a father of two students whom attend IS 318. I've read a few posts and some are spot on and others are way off. Yes, there's a good sp/honors program. I'm satisfied with the teachers attitude and work ethics. I also agree with a post claiming that the "Band and Chess" team have preferential treatment. As for fighting; I have not seen any on or around the school grounds. As for teachers not caring, that's false. Teachers do their best to make sure your child is on track. I've witness teachers bend over backwards to help one of my children who is not in the sp/honor. "Help" as in assigning extra credit work, making themselves available for tutoring, accepting late homework as partial credit etc.. Overall, it's a solid school. If your child is studious in nature he will exceed. If they are your average preteen-teenager they will do fine, as long as they hold up their part of the Middle school experience. As they say, you get out what you put in.

Develops grit: Neutral

Posted December 08, 2015
We take pride in our great achievements but I don't believe this school is so focused on passing they students. They're more focused on the knowledge that they are passing on to them.

Develops respect: Agree

Posted December 08, 2015
When I was there we were taught that we are a family and I have noticed that a lot of children in 318 do not feel that way anymore. I am still close and in contact with many of my peers from middle school, even in my freshman year of college. I'm not sure if the lack of respect is coming from their parents or the school.

Develops empathy: Strongly agree

Posted December 08, 2015
Teachers are allways there for you, if you're open to talking to them. The deans may be a little busy with everything that they do but I'm sure if you scheduled a meeting with them they'd be open to speaking to you.

Develops honesty: Agree

Posted December 08, 2015
I will say that the 'dumber' classes, the teachers have less patience with because those are often the classes with the children who have behavioral problems. SO in those classes, they may be treated differently, way slower, and more controlled and honestly, like elementary students because of their actions and the school doesn't want to keep the advanced students from learning because this one kid is a distraction.

Posted December 08, 2015
The teachers are so supportive if you open up to them. If you, or your child, insists on being aggressive and closed off to all of the adults in the building then likely, your kid will not have a great experience. Joining an after school club is highly recommended, this school doesn't have recess because of their shop and tech classes. Shop and tech are like sowing, piano, cooking, dance, etc. I loved 318 and still do. Class of 2011!

Is 318 Eugeno Maria De Hostos 3

Posted May 17, 2014
This school is a good school but only if you're in the sp or honor program. They treat you better if your in the sp program and also if your in the chess team or in the school band. If your in the regular classes or in the "dumber" classes (801-805) you often dont get a good experience in this school. There's a lot of fights outside the school especially with the middle school 71. Also the deans usually don't care and don't have enough time for you. I went to this school for my three years of middle school and now my sister goes here . If you going to this school or your child is going I advise you to please try to enter the sp program and if you don't meet the standards try to get good grades in the 6th grade to get in the program in the 7th grade . The sp program allows you to take a bunch of regents so you get credits for high school and when you get to high school you can take free college classes. The sp kids are also the groups of kids that don't get stuck in the wrong crowd doing the wrong things.

Posted April 28, 2014
This is the best school in Brooklyn. my daughter is very happy with this school has chosen. teachers are very good :))))

Posted March 26, 2014
This is a great school. Teachers are hard working and really care about students. They are great with after school programs and during school prograns. My son and daughter go there and come home with a smile on their faces every single day. If my child is failing a class I will get an honest phone call. The teacher will tell me that tutoring is mandatory which is a good thing because it shows that they really care. All staff members have a great attitude toeards parents and students. My child will be there for all of middle scjool . This is a great school.

Is 318 Eugeno Maria De Hostos 1

Posted May 09, 2013
my son is a current student in I.S. 318 in Brooklyn & for the past 2 years. I have been calling with concerns about bullying & harassment that my has had to endure since he's been there. i have left messages (with no return calls) & had meetings with the school & nothing ever seems to get done. My son has complained to the leaders of the school & somehow he is still getting bullied & is afraid to go to school. I as a concerned parent am not comfortable that the safety concerns I have brought up to their attention have not been resolved and are not of any concern to them. I have asked & begged for help from the school & my son & I are not being acknowledged.

101 Walton Street, Brooklyn, NY  11206
Last modified Is 318 Eugeno Maria De Hostos is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.