Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Not enough (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Teacher (1 response)

I.S. 98 Bay Academy 3

Posted June 30, 2016
A cliche of the school being an "A" school in X years in a row" refers probably to the past. From 2013-16 clearly it was not an A school, nor by the city standards, nor by my standards as a parent. As a parent, I am less satisfied with quality of education, or in other words, the content and approach of the classes. Some teachers are very focused on teaching strategies of passing a TEST. When I expressed my concern to a science teacher, he acknowledged a Test as a very important and an only indicator of success; Why to push for more?- he said to me. Why not, if a child can do more? I'm not talking about creating a science genius, but I know that my child would be willing to learn more if an appropriate environment is created and some encouragement exists at school. I have been trying to support my child's activities by sending my child to after-school activities and science camps that I had to pay. I prefer these activities to be supplemental and additional and not be a need to learn basics of science that should be taught adequately at the school system. As for the administration, they are not effective to reach out and work with parents. I usually attend only PTCs, because this is the only meeting I get to meet actual teachers. PTCs are not very useful. Some teachers spend only up to 5 minutes with a parent and are not specific enough in their feedback and evaluation. Another important factor that this school receives 3 stars is hey failed inform me about opportunities at school, such as formation of regent classes. The staff blamed my child for not being responsible to carry a note; and apparently it was announced in the meetings. But, I can't attend meetings and PTAs due to my work schedule. I prefer this information be spread by every teacher during the PTCs and messages on the phone. When I asked to consider my child for the class, simply because he qualified according to their standards, they denied because it was late. Overall, to be an "A" level, this school should make sure that some teachers are working not only to mark their class passed the test, because TEST doesn't matter at the end. Also, find the ways for better communication with parents - and don't blame students for undelivered notes. And finally, think of the students, as of their own children, and do as much as they can.

Grateful to: Teacher

Posted June 30, 2016
Few teachers who really dedicate themselves into a quality teaching process. They are creative and very experienced. However, others only focus on Test and do not really care on what happens beyond the TEST borders. Unfortunately, it crosses out few good teachers at this school.

Amount of homework: Not enough

Posted June 30, 2016
Home works are very technical mostly, include only worksheets. Not enough reading, analyzing, and research involved.

Develops empathy: Neutral

Posted June 30, 2016
I don't know - can't tell. I know my child, but can't assess whole school based on my child's characteristics, and because it is probably an impact of a family too.

Develops honesty: Neutral

Posted June 30, 2016
I don't know, because I am not included or informed in their activities, approach and strategies in this regard.

Posted March 22, 2015
Great school my son loved it and me too all staff include teachers are great

Posted September 06, 2014
I am a student at Bay and I can tell that it is a wonderful and amazing school. This school prepares us for high school and life in many ways This is a bully free school and the students their are very nice. This is a fantastic school. It also very safe. I would strongly recommend that you send your child to this school. Mark Twain is so over rated. Even though their are AC in only a few rooms the experience is worth it. They have state of the art gym and soon a brand new library. They also know that the transition from 5th grade to 6th is hard but they make it easy for you. I love this school and i am sure that you would love it too if you went their.

Posted March 24, 2014
This school is for eager students that would lunge at any great opportunity given to them. It is disappointing to hear parents complaing about lack of homework and education. Trust me, I graduated but I remember the horrors of the stacks of homework given to me. If your children say that they dont have homework or a project and etc. They are probably using it as an excuse to go outside or just watch TV or play games. The teachers 90% chance that she or he will give you homework today. A lot of times the homework is given ONLINE on EDLINE. IF your child have INFORMED you about the website that trackes your childs progress and notifies you about all of the homework given on that day. Also math teachers give homework EVERY DAY!!! It is by law! And stop whining about that the school never shows its SHSAT results! The point it there is nothing to HIDE! It is inside the building and there is a chart hanging near the school entrance. Around 70% of the students in this school get into Specialized High Schools and the rest 30% go to Midwood, Murrow, and Goldstein. Its right in front of the building. People like these bring a good school down. This school is the golden chance for your child

Posted October 04, 2013
This school is for gifted and talented students interested in drama, science, vocal, instrumental, art, dance, etc. We follow all common core procedures and all students try our best. All teachers are dedicated to their work and work hard to give us a nice education. Each class has science, Latin, social studies, math, and English, including talent as one of the classes. Students respect the teacher and ask questions when they are confused. Many find this school in an excellent learning environment and look forward to coming again the following year. I like the fact that the school allows us as a privilege to watch shows that the dance and vocal talent put on. I think the school could improve by at least having some air conditioned classes as well as the auditorium. All student complain they are hot, but no one could do anything about it.

I.S. 98 Bay Academy 4

Posted September 26, 2013
My daughter just started. she loves it. teachers are friendly, kids are fun, homework is challenging but exciting. We are pleased so far.

1401 Emmons Avenue, Brooklyn, NY  11235
Last modified I.S. 98 Bay Academy is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.