No rating

Immaculate Heart Of Mary

Private | PK-8 | 72 students

Living in Brooklyn

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $416,300. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,370.

Posted April 3, 2011

I am a former student of IHM, attending through 7th grade. After leaving there due to a relocation, I realized how far ahead I was from my peers the following year. They faculty was wonderful, and I would definitely recommend this school to anyone looking for a solid foundation.

Posted February 2, 2011

Wonderful atmosphere and tremendous diversity. Knowledgable and friendly staff. More than enough activities and there is always parent/teacher communication.

Posted January 30, 2011

We have been happy with the PK program. The kids of PK have time to play but also learn academic skills to help their development along and prep them for school. They wear sweat suits for their uniforms, which seems to work out fine. There are "dress down" days. We are not Catholic and weren't sure whether we would fit in, but there is a wide range of families, in terms of religion, ethnicity, economics, and values & politics. Don't get me wrong, it is definitely a Catholic school (religious assemblies and Christian holidays are part of the routine), but if you can deal with that graciously, you'll find it's a nice environment. -And great for the cost, by the way! The older kids are kind and polite to the younger ones, which is impressive. The teachers seem to be dedicated. The principal is available if you have questions or concerns. The front desk staff is friendly. It has the feel of a family overall. We like it a lot more than we expected to and will continue there at least for next year. Good luck in your search!

Posted December 19, 2010

I've been very impressed and very happy with IHM. My child is learning, thriving and really enjoying himself. Their Pre-K problem will allow him to be ready for all the challenges that Kinder will bring, and he's on the path of getting a great education.

Posted November 7, 2010

This hidden treasure of a school is no longer the secret it once was. IHM offers Pre-K 3 through 8th Grade. The quality education starts at the beginning and is carreid through to the end. The school's principal and administrative staff are totally committed to providing a top-notch education for a very reasonable tuition. Paretnal involvement is better than most schools with ample opportunity for parents to be involved in developing new projects or ongiong projects. Teachers are fully dedicated to their students and the mission of the school. The diversity of the student body is more dynamic than your average school, including enrollment of many non-Catholic students receiving the same quality education as their Catholic peers. We feel blessed and fortunate to have found this oasis of loving education in the middle of Brooklyn. IHM is a school you should consider for your children.

Posted May 20, 2010

IHM is a great environment for kids! There are so amny different activities going on and the children are very engaged. Teachers, and staff are very caring and parents treat all kids as their own.

Posted October 9, 2009

My daughter was in public school for 2 years. I felt the school was not challenging my daughter enough. I am so happy I found ihm. The school is wonderful. The atmospere, the teachers, the faculty are very welcoming. My daughter will get the best possible education at this school. I also have a son, 'the public system' felt my they needed to put a llabel on my son. But since he have started ihm I have had no problems. Changing my kids school from public to private has been the best decision I have made

Posted September 29, 2009

I love IHM. I am a graduate and my daughter currently is in the 4th grade at IHM. What can I say about a school that has nourished my mind as well as my spirituality? The teachers are great. The standard of education is incredible. The parish is warm,welcoming and wonderful. To this day I carry around many of the life lessons that I learned from IHM. It makes me proud to say that my daughter is attending the same school that I graduated from. Words cannot express the feelings I have for IHM. It is something you have to experience for yourself.

Posted September 18, 2009

The amazing faculty and adminstrators, the modern, clean facility, the dedication of the parish to the school, and the overall success of the school's mission.

Posted June 23, 2009

My Daughter just completed Pre-k here, we had planed only on doing pre-k, But we've decided to stay because of the amazing education, and great staff. After touring pretty much every school around, there isn't any that holds a candle to IHM, where there is so much hands on learning. The middle schoolers are learning power point, and buddy with younger grades They have an amazing community, and huge go green push. Several full school events to show case the students work. There are lots of extra curriculars as well, girl/boy scouts, after school, lots of sports and theatre for the upper grades. There is a surprisingly diverse group of kids with different religious, ethnic and economic levels, diversity is celebrated and embraced here. The students learn alot about culture, the academics are amazing, my daughter writes and reads, the school has a large emphasis on technology that supports the learning.

Posted May 5, 2009

IHM has proven itself to be that 'blessing in disguise' we were looking for in Brooklyn schools. Our son has benefitted greatly from both the academic and behaviorial discipline that IHM offers. IHM's traditional approach in utilizing school uniforms and daily reinforcement of courtesy, community and a challenging curriculum, has created a positive environment from which a strong foundation for our son's future will be built. We take great pride in this school and highly recommend it to anyone looking for both a quality education and meaningful experience for their child(ren).

Posted April 30, 2009

IHM has empowered my children and encouraged them to strive for goals with confidence. The teachers have provided them with the critical tools necessary to tackle everyday challenging situations, positively contribute to the moral fiber of society, and succeed in an ever-changing environment.-Michael Markovinovic (second generation IHM parent)

Posted April 27, 2009

I have 2 children who currently attend the school. I have been an active parent in the school for 8 yrs. I have experienced only good things at IHM. I love the school! My daughter has made lifelong friendships here and has been an honor student for the last 4 yrs. My other child is just starting (k). The teachers are great!

Posted April 26, 2009

I am the grandparent of two IHM students. and couldn't be happier or prouder that my son and daughter in law have chosen this school. IHM provides a safe and considerate environment for young people to learn and grow. The academic environment is current and challenging. I am always impressed with the amount of parent interest, involvement and welcome. I believe that my grandaughters are recieving an invaluable foundation to build their futures here at IHM.

Posted April 9, 2009

We love IHM! As a non-catholic I had my concerns about putting my kids in a catholic school, but boy have I been proved wrong! My kids come home telling me what a wonderful time they had in school, what they learned that day and what they did at recess. : ) Not only are my children thriving academically but as well learning valuable lessons in life. School has a sense of community, parent's are welcomed to volunteer, children also have a 'buddy system' where older kids are paired with younger kids to act as a 'big sister or brother' to a younger one. School facility is new, computer room, library plus there is huge gym! This schools is truly a hidden gem, and we feel very fortunate to be part of it!

Posted April 6, 2009

This school is really bad. My daughter currently goes there and she hates it there. Whenever she comes home she starts crying and saying that she had a horrible day. Its all because of the teachers and bullies they have.

Posted February 26, 2009

As a parent of three IHM Students, I can attest to the outstanding education that IHM provides. The programs and curriculum are fun yet challenging. The faculty at IHM work hard to promote a quality education and to provide a caring environment where children can thrive. We consider it a valuable investment in the educational foundation of our children and would strongly recommend IHM as an excellent option for those in the Kensington/Windsor Terrace area.

Posted February 23, 2009

This school,like so many of the Catholic schools in Brooklyn are the best and most affordable private school options available. By every measure this school is superior to anything the NYCOE has to offer locally. It is run by dedicated administrators, the student performance scores are excellent, and the quality of the teachers is also excellent. The students displine and respect towards the staff is remarkable. My Son is thriving at IHM. I couldn't be happier and will sign my Nursery school age Daughter up in the fall. If you live in the area and aren't considering this school you are doing your children a disservice. The fact you might not be Catholic has no bearing. There are quite a few non-Catholic students and they are never made to feel out of place. Take a look for yourself!

Posted September 7, 2005

My child entering the school in the 7th Grade when her school closed. It was a very hard time for her to see her school closed after being there since Pre-K - IHM welcome her and made her feel like she was part of that school for many years. Her class welcomed her with open arms and she has now made some many new friends. No one ever made her feel left out. The education exceeded what I expected. Hats off to the whole staff at IHM. Looking forward to another wonderful year. Hate to go. Liz Dwyer

Asian 11% N/A
Two or more races 6% N/A
Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander N/A 6%
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 0% N/A
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Maureen E. Rooney
  • Coed
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Associations
  • NCEA

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Diocese of Brooklyn

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

3002 Fort Hamilton Parkway