St. Anselm Elementary School

Private | PK-8 | 300 students

Living in Brooklyn

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $369,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,400.

Sweep tile

Posted February 15, 2012

I recently graduated from Saint Anselm Catholic School. I was never happy. I had to push myself everyday to go with the concept in mind that I only had a few more months until I can move on. Until I went to high school, I never knew how much I missed out on, in Saint Anselm. It didn't feel like a second family nor did I receive any sense of community at all. The teachers and student's attitudes were negative. The students were so disrespectful to the teachers. We never received any discipline or authoritative figures. The students never offered me a helping hand. Instead they laughed at my weaknesses. The students were unfriendly, vulgar, unloyal, selfish, and over-competitive. I wouldn't recommend anyone to this school. Unless your a snotty, condescending, arrogant, and oppresive parent, this school is right for you! Otherwise I wouldn't even suggest a Catholic school in general. Public school has much more diversity. Most are even more academically challenging than Catholic schools. Public schools will also cater to each student's individuality.

Posted December 4, 2011

I graduated St. Anselm completely not ready for high school. As I grew as a student from grade to grade I began to resent the teachers more and more. They are impatient, uncaring, and rude. They are never available for extra help and most of them just give textbook assignments and never actually teach the material. I never learned how to right a proper essay not received a proper background in a language. Don't even get me started on the language program.... The teacher is completely unequipped to teach language and I didn't learn a thing in all of my years at the school. Although I maintained a high average in got accepted into a great high school, I feel I spent more time getting yelled at for things such as the wrong socks, than actually enjoying myself at school and connecting with any of the teachers.

Posted October 21, 2010

High expectations for the nursery program. Did not have a good experience, they really know how to make your child feel "different" if not up to speed with the rest. I would def. make sure their curriculum are what you are looking for. Although they did claim at first they were not expecting much and after 12 students they would split into groups. They do not have the resources for any cpse nor do they want any involvement with such potential students it seemed. I do not recommend this school. I actually did alot of sports with st. anselms as a child, and am not pleased with what they are about these days!

Posted September 18, 2010

i Just Graduated this school and know attend Xavier High School. St.Anselm has prepared me for High School 100%. The school is also the first Catholic school in Bay Ridge to have over 80% of our classrooms equipped with Smart Board technology. Also the Teachers are so caring and will help your son or daughter with anything they need. The school last year also scored NUMBER 1!!!!! out of all the schools in the Bay Ridge area on our State Test scores!! I thank my Parents daily for sending me to such a blessed place

Posted March 12, 2010

The school is definitely not what older traditional Catholic schools were. Many of the older children have a lot to learn about living their lives in the faith which they are being taught. The academic program is not all it's hyped up to be. Some teachers are not caring and can be harsh and rude to children in the learning process. That leaves a child feeling alienated, ashamed and uncomfortable to ask questions to learn and reach their potential. There is disparity in the way students are treated. Many students are cliquish and mean. It can be a very uncomfortable and unfriendly atmosphere. If considering Saint Anselm be cautious and consider your choices wisely.

Posted November 24, 2009

I love this school. My daughter is in Nursery program, she love her teacher, she cant wait until tomorrow. I'm so happy with the education so far. I'm happy that my daughter talk about God, most of the time. I hope the school as well the teacher and parents encourage the child education.

Posted November 23, 2009

I used to go to St. Anselm. I felt that they completely oppressed myself and opinion. I now go to a gifted school, and I strongly urge you not to send your gifted and talented here. Even so, the education is above average.
—Submitted by a student

Posted October 2, 2009

If you are a parent looking for a good school with an excellent academic program and a safe secure learning environment then look no further. This school is catholic and religion is taught in a caring manner with due regard to all. This is not your Dads old school. All the teachers are friendly and approachable. Parents are encouraged to get involved in the school activities, and everyone is very supportive. It makes for a very welcome atmosphere for both parent and child.

Posted March 21, 2009

My children have done exceptionally well academically and spiritually. The school truly is a Catholic School. I particularly like that all families are treated the same, same rules for all of us whether we have money or not. The proves to me that the true concern is for the kids. Way to go! I am happy to have moved my children from the neighboring school.

Posted March 6, 2009

I have been going to St. Anselms for 8 years, and am now in the 7th grade. The school is pretty good but very strict, and some of the rules don't make sense at all. Other than that it is a good school, I am in the honors program.
—Submitted by a student

Posted August 8, 2008

I am very pleased with the education level and disciplinary level which is overall the most important thing for me. Both my daughters attend St. Anselms and enjoy it very much. I love seeing how parents are involved with all the events and we all work as a team, which is great. I feel very at home whenever I have to pick up my girls. I am especially happy with the comfort level that my daughters feel when they are in school. As long as they are happy and progressing in every aspect of their education it gives me a sense of ease.

Posted February 4, 2008

The school is definitely of the older Catholic tradition, and I didn't feel a great sense of 'belonging' to a school family. However, my children really enjoyed their first year at St. Anselm. I was very pleased with the academic experience each of them had (both in younger grades), and there were several fun events throughout the school year in which students participate. The school has a mix of teachers, some being fairly strict and hard-working, others are more lenient. My biggest complaint is that they will not give out any standardized test scores.

Posted September 3, 2007

I am a parent of a son entering third grade and a daughter entering pre-k. The environment is traditional catholic school which, sometimes can seem a bit stuffy. However, what they lack ambiance, they're more than compensatory in academics, as each instructor renders sufficient dedication toward the scholastic achievement and intellectual advancement of thier students. Robert.

Posted April 18, 2006

The academic program at Saint Anselm's is improving with the addition of new SmartBoard technologies. However, I think that some of the classes should be improved, especially the math classes in the upper levels. Language proficiency tests are not availible, neither are Math A exams. For the last two years, there have been a lot of changes of teachers. But it provides an excellent education for a student who is intent on attending a Catholic High School, not a public high school like Brooklyn Tech or Stuyvesant. Parents are very involved in the School. There's Spanish, Music, Gym, Art and Library classes once a week. There is also a plethora of extracurricular activies provided by the school through the Youth Activies program.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted April 24, 2005

The school offers a quality early education program begining with the three year old scholor program. Class size is limited to only 10 which ensures proper attention. The things I do not care for are the VERY small space in both the three year old program classrooms as well as the pre-k. The rooms educational material is dated and limited. The rooms need to be cleaned. I would recommend starting there at the K level.

Posted September 9, 2004

One of my children attended St. Anslems from pre-k through 8th grade graduation. She graduated with honors and is now attending St. Saviour's High School and in her 2nd year. She had a wonderful experience and it certainly prepared her for high school. My 2nd child is still attending St. Anselms and is in the 7th grade. He absolutely loves his school. I would recommend St. Anselms highly.

Asian 4% N/A
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 1% N/A
Two or more races 1% N/A
Asian N/A 6%
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Linda A. Addonisio
  • Coed
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Associations
  • NCEA

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Diocese of Brooklyn

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

365 83rd St