No rating

St Saviour Elementary School

Private | PK-8 | 372 students

Living in Brooklyn

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $709,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,870.

Posted August 9, 2014

Hard to believe the feedback provided by a parent on June 4, 2014. Children are allowed in the school at 8. Early bird programs are available in other schools for a fee. It's not free!! You have the option to pay each quarter for a year or pay a one time drop-off fee. This school is wonderful. Our son has been attending the early bird program and the after school program since he was in Nursery. The teachers are very attentive, small children learn to play and study together as a group. Our son's social skills, communication skills, vocabulary, cognitive and motor skills have developed drastically during his school year in Nursery. Parents are very involved and so is the principal, who I have seen few times in the classroom. Our son is looking forward to going back to school in September!

Posted June 4, 2014

This school is horrible. Staff trhows kids out in frigid temperature if they enter the building before 8:15 am. They charge an extra $ 1000 more just to drop my daughter 30 minutes before school starts. I took my daughter out of this school at the end of the school year because I could not stand the teachers incompetencies. The students are very weak becaus emany teacher are collecting just a pay check and they do not care about my daughter's grade. FOR every homewok, the teacher just gave my daughter a check and I asked the teacher for her comments she was very upset and stating my daughter copied her HW somewhere. The students have poor social cognition skills. They are not able to work cooperatively in group. they are also very weak academically. I will never recommend this school to any one and I will not hire these teachers to teach not even my dog. Parent who fail to notice what I see are not really involved in their kids' education. The principle had to reimburse me my money and I AM grateful that she did that for me.

Posted May 12, 2014

Our daughter is in nursery school at St. Saviour and we really love it. It is a wonderful, small community and the teachers and staff all know and care about our child. Very friendly and welcoming, with small class sizes (9 children in her nursery class with two teachers). The principal is excellent and the parents are involved. The open house tours give a real sense of the school - interested parents should check it out!

Posted December 26, 2013

Amazing on all levels! Small class size (less than 20 students per class, even smaller for Nursery classes) Excellent and caring teachers who provide great and constructive feedback on your child progress, strengths and weaknesses, and what they are going to do to help your child succeed. They also have a great early bird program, which allows parents to drop off their child(ren) at 7:30AM and an after school program with extracurricular activities until 6PM.

Posted October 20, 2013

This is an Mazing school. Our son is in the Nursery program. The children learn a lot in the class and outside as well. For example, the teachers take them for a walk and go over numbers by reading the house number. Our son can now read some letters as well.

Posted September 12, 2013

Saint Saviour has been nothing short of a godsend for us. We transferred our older child in mid year due to a bullying issue in another previous school. We feared for our child's safety after being met by a non-responsive administrator. The principal is responsive and sensitive. The staff is extremely knowledgeable and courteous with a compassionate delivery. The small class sizes ensure children will get what they need in the classroom experience and the principal strives for continued improvement. Along with good academics and humanistic approach, this school continues to exceed every expectation I have had or hoped for in a school.

Posted April 27, 2013

if you want a school with alot of clubs then this isnt the school for you if you would want to come to this school you would need to bring your own lunch becuase theres no cafeteria for then you eat at your desk although that the staff and teachers are helpful

Posted March 19, 2013

I love this school!!! Looking for PreK for my son in was not an easy process. I visited and toured several schools. In the end, I choose to send my son to St. Savior because I was inspired by all the artwork when I toured, I liked the schools values and because I felt that the value for the money was unparalleled. I have to say it has been an amazing experience so far. The parents are really involved, the afterschool staff is very sweet and he has a great teacher - Ms. Loux-Paul! He comes home with wonderful arts and crafts and with stories about what they learned or explored. In just six months, I feel that he has progressed significantly in all areas and subjects. I truly feel delighted to have found this school and I look forward to enrolling him again next year.

Posted October 16, 2012

St. Saviour is a hidden gem in the NYC madness of finding excellent education. And it's a fantastic value for parents wrestling between public vs. private. This school is progressive with strong leadership and a devoted board of directors. You cannot beat the small class size either. We love it here.

Posted September 30, 2011

My daughter is in PK and loves it. Her teacher is fabulous, full of ideas, experience and leadership. The classroom is very well organized and is wonderfully decorated from top to bottom. The principal and parents are great too.

Posted August 8, 2011

Our twin daughters have just finished up Kindergarten at St. Saviour school. The experience has been absolutely nothing short of wonderful! The teachers are kind, caring, with a sense of humor that is needed in working with this age group. The learning environment is equally as outstanding! The entire SSES student body are kind, polite, respectful, and are taught what it means to be a part of community. From PK-8 grade, all the students are expected to show respect and kindness for each other, their teachers, others, and to embrace their diversity and individuality. We decided to enroll our kids in St. Saviour Elementary school not only because of the Catholic education that we desired for our children, but because we loved the small school environment, (K class had 17 kids)..(total enrollment approximately 400 students) with access to teachers and the administrators.The principal of Saint Saviour is magnificent! She sets the tone for the entire educational environment.. We are re-enrolling our children for 1st grade, and will most likely continue, even though our "home district school" is PS 321.

Posted June 3, 2010

Good school. My son has been at St. Saviour since Pre-K. He has had great experience there. His Kindergarten teacher is excellent. Very friendly environment. Needs of improvement is needed at the afterschool program. It needs more enrichment programs. The afterschool should reach out to different enrichment organizations as other schools in the area.

Posted June 23, 2006

This school's scores are far to superior to the public schools in the area (even to the very highly regarded ones which create the high demand for the real estate) -- I am not sure why St. Saviour's scores are not on this site? The parents are extremely committed to the school and to their children. The graduates go on to the top Catholic and public high schools in the five boroughs. Although the sports program is very active, especially compared to surrounding schools, there could be more extracurricular in other areas, but even this is improving at a good clip. The teachers are highly experienced (a rarity in the City system)and just exceptional. They are truly loving and devoted to the children. I have personally experienced Catholic, private, and public schools, both in the suburbs and the City, and this school is a jewel.

Posted February 12, 2006

This school has a great academic program. Students are accessed individually and the parents are kept informed of their child's progress. The best Parochail school in the area.

Posted January 21, 2006

This is an excellent school. I did a great deal of research before deciding where to send my child. The teachers are very skilled, experienced, caring and dedicated to their students.

Posted August 2, 2005

Our child went to Pre-K and had an excellent experience. Teachers were very involved in educating, building character, establishing rules and conduct, as well as transfering knowledge. The child had a wonderful experience, performed well, learned a lot and loved the teacher. It is highly recommended.

Posted May 9, 2004

I attended saint saviour elementary school from grades 4-8 and graduated last year and am now attending the high school in relationship with the elementary school. I must say that the years that I have spent at that school are some of my best. The teachers were always willing to help out a student in need. One of the things that I admire the most about this school is the strictly inforced rules and requirements. I feel that because the children are taught to follow proper rules and codes of behavior that this school molds them into greater human beings for their future academic careers.

Posted September 9, 2003

St Saviour is a family. The teachers are the most caring and devoted individuals any place. They maintain a high level of standards and expectations. Even the office staff and other school personnel are involved in the lives of the children on a personal level. I am thoroughly pleased with the level of education. The best part is experiencing peace of mind knowing your child is in a safe and nurturing environment.

Two or more races 20% N/A
Asian 2% N/A
Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander N/A 6%
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 0% N/A
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Maura Lorenzen
  • Coed
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Associations
  • NCEA

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Diocese of Brooklyn