PK-12|Private

Bad
Good

Develops character: Strongly agree

As BFS is a quaker school, it is very strong in it's ability to grow students into truthful, responsible, friendly, and well informed young adults.

I have been a student at BFS for 10 years and I have loved every second of it. The teachers are caring and helpful, the students quickly become friends, and the facilities that BFS provides are well above average. Im glad I have stayed so long.

bad school it sucks i hate it so much i wish i didnt go also has bad teachers

Leaving this school was the biggest mistake I made. The curriculum is amazing, immersive and fascinating. The teachers are diverse and insightful. Some more than others. The community is the best I've experienced and the community service integrated into field trips. In general it is totally worth the money! I think about my experience there often. One of the things I loved most about the school was that they made you work hard and exercise your brain while making it not seem like a chore. They make you want to learn more. This is a school everyone should attend at least once in their lifetime!

Faculty and Staff work above and beyond in order to create a magical, harmonius and intellectually inspiring environment.

This school provides an education completely unparalleled by other academic institutions. I formerly attended an all-girls private school and was routinely shushed by teachers or was discouraged from asking questions. At BFS, I was taught to question everything, from the space we were in to the education we were receiving. Although I spent only two years at BFS, I have never felt so at home. I learned more here than I did in 11 years at my previous school, and was taught to constantly question the state of my education whether I was learning the right things, whether I was being taught by the appropriate people, or whether I was simply being nurtured enough and BFS gave me everything I was seeking. I have gone on to go to a private liberal arts college and graduate school at NYU, but neither would have been possible without BFS' amazing education. I am grateful every single day for what I learned at the Pearl Street campus and hope that future classes have equally valuable experiences elsewhere. BFS provides invaluable life skills to those seeking it.

The most diverse independent school in Brooklyn by far and away with a real dedication to progressive, values-based education. Excellent lower school that gets the balance right between skills and creativity. Kids have a spelling workbook, but they also write poetry, memoirs etc. Math could be a bit stronger, but is very creatively taught so my daughter who used to hate math, now loves it. The arts programs are fantastic. Parents complain about the lower school principal, who is a bit shy, but she makes great staff choices and the curriculum feels dynamic. Middle school is rigorous, but also quite creative. My son's math class studied percentages then did an in depth study of credit card agreements and debt. For geometry, they made actual monuments. The school seems comfortable with different types of learning styles and has really beefed up their learning support system -- problems are generally addressed pretty quickly. Kids could use more physical activity -- although there are two gyms they are shared with all three school divisions and the roof is open only to the lower school. The music program is wonderful.

My kids love it., are learning at an extremely high level, not stressed out and are grounded. What more could you ask for.

I have attended this school my entire life I cannot imagine being happy anywhere else.

I go to school at BFS and it is amazing. Of course a teacher may not be my favorite, that's how it always works in school but in general everything about that school is amazing. The new head of the Middle School is fantastic, she's opened minded and she's extremely polite. I have no problems with the school. The academics are phenomenal. No matter what you are learning, any teacher is willing to help and they won't let you struggle on your own. They enforce diversity (a little too much sometimes) and they enforce Quakerism. Most kids at that school are polite and like any other school, there are a few children who aren't the nicest, but it's generally a loving community. Again the academics are amazing, more than half the things I have learned in that school I would have if I stayed at my old school so I'm happy I stayed. Overall, the school is a safe place and full of kind students and staff. Sending your child there would be wonderful. It is costly, but they do have a scholarship program and even if you don't get a regular scholarship, 8th graders can get the merit scholarship which allows the child to get $10,000 off of their tuition for high school.

Last modified Brooklyn Friends School is a Private school that serves grades PK-12