No rating

A Fantis Parochial School

Private | PK-8 | 104 students

Student diversity

Living in Brooklyn

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $590,200. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,870.

Posted February 16, 2013

My son in in UPK/PreK 4 this year and I am very pleased with the program! We stumbled upon AFantis incidentally while we were scrambling for a place to send our son expecting to get shut out of the public school lottery. A neighbor told us about this school and we got in. The tuition is so affordable, and you get a "real school" experience (including field trips, holiday concerts) unlike what you'd get at a Daycare extension program. It's a catholic school but baptism is not required to go to PreK. (beyond that the child has to be baptized) The group is split in half in the beginning of the year, and one classroom goes to church 1x/month-the other half does not. If you don't want your kid to go to church specify this with the principal. The principal is unprofessional and doesn't treat her staff with a lot of respect. But she's doing something right--those kids (up to 8th gr) are the most polite preteens/teens ive seen. they are enthusiastic and respectful! its quite nice! There are 2-3 (1 teacher and 1-2 paras) in each classroom which is amazing. And these ladies are all outstanding. I'll miss them next year.

Posted February 1, 2011

This school is a gem. I have been a parent of this school for 3 years and it is amazing how much the teacher's care. Ms. Jeanine, Ms. Kathy, Ms. Patty, Ms. Vicki, Ms. Jenna, Ms. Poulon, Father Lardis, Dr. Farkouh and all of the staff at A Fantis really help these children become the best they can be. The class sizes are small, which is extremely important. Public schools, even the most sought out schools, are no where near as good when it comes to core curriculum. The kids take weekly spelling tests and with really challenging words. I love this school and look forward to a long and happy journey through 8th grade

Posted January 7, 2011

My daughter has been going to Fantis for 2 years. We are familiar with the Principal since she was a well known Principal in Bay Ridge . My daughter is doing extremely well. She is only 4 and can already read and write. She speaks Greek and is socially very confident. She loves school and looks forward to going everyday. The teachers are excellent. The parents comprise a bright, international group of people. My only hope is for more sports programs as the children get older. We love it!

Posted August 12, 2010

Having spent a few years at Fantis, I am familiar with all the academics and goals the school strives for as a whole and for it s students. The teachers at Fantis are very good, and overall, I have zero complaints about them. The teachers are very professional (despite some short-tempers & occasional mistreatments) and will provide you with vast and powerful knowledge that will stay with you for years to come. The principal, however, is probably the most disappointing aspect of the school. Initially she s very kind and accepts you immediately (along with the cash you re willing to give for admission) but once you develop a relationship with the school and, inevitably, the principal herself you will find her to be an unprofessional, shrewish, and arrogant woman. She has (consciously or unconsciously) insulted my family and myself - we are all relieved that we no longer have any ties t

Posted March 24, 2010

I have two children that attend A Fantis, one in Pre K 3 and one in K. Overall I am very happy with the school. We are not Greek, and I do not feel my children are treated any different, you can see the school becoming more diversified each year. I am very happy with the teachers, the decipline, the small class sizes, the accademics, plus the bonus of learning a second language. Each child is known by name, and it is very warm welcoming school. I also like that they do religous education, which by no means is over the top, they go to Mass I think once a month. Fr John Lardas is very kind and approachable, and has children of his own. The tuition is very affordable, so extra money is needed by funraising like any other school, to make improvements for the childrens benefit.

Posted March 17, 2010

My son has been in this school since he was 3, he is currently in PK4, turning 5 in July. I have nothing but good things to say about the school. He started out shy and socially insecure. He is now very confident, happy, polite and socially adept, and has great problem solving skills. While parenting plays a big role, I give credit to A. Fantis for providing the education and discipline and a sense of family that a child needs at that age. I know that I can contact the main office and they instantly know who I am and will address my needs immediately. Tuition is affordable, and why so hard on the principal Dr. Farkouh? She needs to fundraise to keep that school moving ahead. The teachers are excellent all in all, I love this school.

Posted December 5, 2009

This our first year at A Fantis and we are finding the school to be the right mix academically and socially for our precocious middle schooler. I am impressed with the diversity of the school, the high standards, the small class size, and the obvious care that is put into to teaching the children each and every day.

Posted June 23, 2009

We just completed our first year at A Fantis. Overall, I'm very pleased by the educational standards, curriculum, staff, equipment and facilities. I believe this school is a great value compared to other local private schools and I'm amazed by the low tuition they charge. I m surprised by the negative comments about the principal - I have always found her to be committed, intelligent and sincere. She knows each student by name and makes the school feel more like a family. The staff and students exhibit a lot of pride, which also speaks volumes. There is no denying the Christian element of the school, but I have not found it overbearing. We are looking forward to another year.

Posted December 31, 2008

In response to previous comments about the school being Catholic. Of course the school is a parochial school and has the prerogative to include as much religious education as it wants. The real issue is the principal's dishonesty about the amount of religious education. When I was on a tour of the school, I asked specifically what the religious curriculum was like, given that I am neither Greek nor Catholic myself. Her answer was that the little ones (my son is in pre-K) are too young for religion & that 'the father' comes in and talks to them about being good. That was a flat out lie. The children go to church once/month, learn about the religious holidays as part of their regular education, etc. My complaint, therefore, is that the principal actually does hide the level of education in order to boost enrollment. Agree with previous statements about her unprofessionalism.

Posted October 22, 2008

My children have been going to this school for 2 years now and we have a very positive experience. My children have excelled tremendously and love going to school each morning. The school is new to 'outsiders' but is helping the non Greek children adapt with ease. My daughter is loving the language and is proud to be learning it. Dr. Faurok is a warm, kind and considerate principal who is very involved. She is always available to us when we have any questions about the school or our children. The small classrooms are a huge bonus. And there is now a rooftop play area! I believe that A. Fantis is paying attention to the needs of our children and is trying to evolve with the school as it is with the students.

Posted April 30, 2008

In general we are happy with the school - small class sizes, nice families, academics. We are taking it year by year. The new principal is totally unprofessional, very difficult. Communication between parents and school is spotty. Serious concerns about some of the teachers background and experience (minimal experience, lots of yelling). There do seem to be some positive changes (roof top playground) but you either have to be prepared to battle some or just drop your kid off.

Posted February 21, 2008

A fantis has a long history of being a great small school. However the new principal is unprofessional and its all about the money. Whatever parent is willing to dump the years tuition upfront gets their child in. On the positive note, small class size, excellent curriculum and wonderful Greek Orthodox cultural envo. As for the previous review abt 'catholic'? This is a Greek Orthodox school! And they dont hide it so why enroll your child if you dont agree?

Posted December 17, 2007

My daughter is in Pre-K so we have only 4 months of experience here, but I find the school to be warm, the principal Dr. Farkouh totally accessible and involved, the teachers caring. The class sizes are small compared to public schools and that's great; there's a big indoor gym, but no outdoor space (although they're trying to convert the roof). It is very Greek, and very Catholic, which is my only concern so far as I am neither. Also, sometimes the teachers revert to conventional discipline (like yelling!) but my daughter, a very sensitive kid, is happy here.

• Alice B. Farkouh
  • Coed
Affiliation
  • Greek Orthodox

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious