No rating

Berkeley Carroll School

Private | 5-12 | 800 students

Living in Brooklyn

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $644,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,790.

Posted August 18, 2014

My daughter attended Kindergarten for one year until I pulled her out. I was astounded by how little was accomplished in the classroom. I was under the impression that this school could individualize the lessons. My daughter, who was already reading, spent most of her time reading in the corner alone while instruction was given to other students. At the year-end, parent teacher conference, I was embarrassed for the teachers when they showed me what little work they had of my daughter's work. Usually, schools put their best foot forward in kindergarten and as you move up, the quality of work starts to get less impressive. Not here. It is pervasive. Look at the work posted by 4th graders! I found them rife with poor grammar and misspellings, not to mention poor writing. Save your money.

Posted August 5, 2014

I worked at BC This is a school that is putting on a serious front just for show. As a teacher there, I assure you your children are not getting the enrichment and/or academic support you THINK they are getting. parents are talked AT during conferences. Benchmark math assessments WERE NEVER performed with any accuracy (these are important data for any teacher to have to know HOW and in what direction to teach lessons as well as make connections/extensions. Instead, I often saw clearly inexperienced LEAD teachers performing the test with not much comprehension on the purpose of the test) most of the K and 1 teachers have no true understanding of the guided reading program: the kids either read a book together without must discussion or just sat and "looked" at books for 45 min.I don't know what has happened to this school since 2008, but the new lower school admin has been transitioned 3 different times in the last 5 years...Save your money, and do more research.I will say, the "work environment" was ok, very laid back. Most people wear jeans to work and have time to travel around the world.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted May 9, 2014

mediocre school, ridiculous price tag for mediocrity in students, staff and programs. In several years NO students even accepted to any Ivy League universities.

Posted December 11, 2009

Love this school. I've been going for 11 years, and it just keeps getting better!

Posted January 21, 2009

Our dtr has been @ BCS since preK (class 2011). She has found it to be a well rounded program (offering sports, debate, foreign exchange trips, etc) which one would expect from a much larger school. The teachers are available and supportive albeit they provide a stimulating college prep environment. It's small class size(s) and low key profile keep it one of Brooklyn's hidden jewels-- We are delighted that our dtr is a part of this independent school. It is not free; but it is worth every penny.

Posted June 2, 2008

I attended BCS for nine years (I left in sixth grade) the lower school was outstanding, I had great teachers, great arts classes, etc. By the time I got to the middle school, the teachers disliked me for no reason and started antagonizing me. The commute was tough, and the secretary would get very angry when I was late, but I did love the arts and the spanish teacher, some teachers were great, others were just not that nice and beware of their raising tuition!

Posted May 7, 2006

My child has been attending the school since pre-k. We have had a good experience. She is now well prepared to enter the middle school. We plan to keep her at Berkeley Carroll. The swim program is fabulous.

Posted November 17, 2005

Provides a balanced approach to education and social skills. The school's focus is on community, it seems to me. My child has dance, music, play acting in library while stories are read and swimming as part of her k-grade schedule. She never come home sad.

Posted February 23, 2004

Berkeley Carroll has been a great experience for me for the past 8 years. Since the classes are small, the teachers get to send time with each student. The school has a small close togetherness feeling.

Posted September 10, 2003

All I can really say is that I have been going to this school since I was in Pre-K and I just wish that is had a college too!

Asian 2% N/A
Two or more races 1% N/A
Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander N/A 6%
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 0% N/A
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab