Brooklyn, NY

Berkeley Carroll School 5

Posted October 28, 2014
Our family has been very happy with the Berkeley Carroll Middle and Lower School (but especially with the Middle!) We have found that the administration and teaching staff are constantly seeking to renew and enhance the curriculum. Every year we have seen improvements in math, language, humanities, etc. They have award an winning jazz band, debate team, and base ball team. The field trips, international trips, study aboard, and emphasis on being a global citizen are extremely relevant for the times that we live in. BC places great emphasis on developing thoughtful, caring students. Like many schools, BC has a renewed focus on STEM with the added component of Arts so its STEAM. Educating good writers is also extremely important, and, in fact, BC, has a large parent body of professional writers. The school does a lot of faculty development and as a parent you can see that the teachers are enthusiastic about incorporating the newest curriculums and technology. (BC's iPad program is in its 3rd year and partial spanish immersion is in its 2nd or 3rd year.) I am looking forward to seeing how this school continues to evolve and what it has to offer by the time we get to high school.

Posted August 18, 2014
My daughter attended Kindergarten for one year until I pulled her out. I was astounded by how little was accomplished in the classroom. I was under the impression that this school could individualize the lessons. My daughter, who was already reading, spent most of her time reading in the corner alone while instruction was given to other students. At the year-end, parent teacher conference, I was embarrassed for the teachers when they showed me what little work they had of my daughter's work. Usually, schools put their best foot forward in kindergarten and as you move up, the quality of work starts to get less impressive. Not here. It is pervasive. Look at the work posted by 4th graders! I found them rife with poor grammar and misspellings, not to mention poor writing. Save your money.

Berkeley Carroll School 2

Posted August 05, 2014
I worked at BC This is a school that is putting on a serious front just for show. As a teacher there, I assure you your children are not getting the enrichment and/or academic support you THINK they are getting. parents are talked AT during conferences. Benchmark math assessments WERE NEVER performed with any accuracy (these are important data for any teacher to have to know HOW and in what direction to teach lessons as well as make connections/extensions. Instead, I often saw clearly inexperienced LEAD teachers performing the test with not much comprehension on the purpose of the test) most of the K and 1 teachers have no true understanding of the guided reading program: the kids either read a book together without must discussion or just sat and "looked" at books for 45 min.I don't know what has happened to this school since 2008, but the new lower school admin has been transitioned 3 different times in the last 5 years...Save your money, and do more research.I will say, the "work environment" was ok, very laid back. Most people wear jeans to work and have time to travel around the world.

Posted May 09, 2014
mediocre school, ridiculous price tag for mediocrity in students, staff and programs. In several years NO students even accepted to any Ivy League universities.

Posted December 11, 2009
Love this school. I've been going for 11 years, and it just keeps getting better!

Posted January 21, 2009
Our dtr has been @ BCS since preK (class 2011). She has found it to be a well rounded program (offering sports, debate, foreign exchange trips, etc) which one would expect from a much larger school. The teachers are available and supportive albeit they provide a stimulating college prep environment. It's small class size(s) and low key profile keep it one of Brooklyn's hidden jewels-- We are delighted that our dtr is a part of this independent school. It is not free; but it is worth every penny.

Berkeley Carroll School 5

Posted June 03, 2008

Berkeley Carroll School 3

Posted June 02, 2008
I attended BCS for nine years (I left in sixth grade) the lower school was outstanding, I had great teachers, great arts classes, etc. By the time I got to the middle school, the teachers disliked me for no reason and started antagonizing me. The commute was tough, and the secretary would get very angry when I was late, but I did love the arts and the spanish teacher, some teachers were great, others were just not that nice and beware of their raising tuition!

Posted December 26, 2007

Posted May 07, 2006
My child has been attending the school since pre-k. We have had a good experience. She is now well prepared to enter the middle school. We plan to keep her at Berkeley Carroll. The swim program is fabulous.

Berkeley Carroll School
181 Lincoln Pl, Brooklyn, NY  11217
Last modified Berkeley Carroll School is a Private school that serves grades 5-12
Berkeley Carroll School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 16 reviews. Top