No rating

Adelphi Academy

Private | PK-12 | 175 students

Our school is best known for our college preparatory program.

Living in Brooklyn

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $369,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,400.

Posted June 6, 2014

What a great year! If you are looking for a private school - you must check out Adelphi Academy. This year has been amazing! My daughter is in High School and she loves going to school. The school has always been great but this year - the new Head of School really worked hard and outdid herself! There's just enough of a balance among discipline, academics, high standards and fun. The Gala was beautifully planned and I can't wait for the upcoming events!

Posted May 7, 2014

Adelphi Academy is a wonderful school. My friends children go there and they rave about the teachers and the other students being so nice. I've noticed an improvement in my friends children's behavior and mannerisms since starting at Adelphi. There's a reason why they've been around for so long. A+

Posted April 30, 2014

Adelphi Academy of Brooklyn is a wonderful school with a great environment for students, parents, and faculty as well. Adelphi Academy not only distinguishes itself with the personalized attention to its students and the goal of making them well-rounded individuals, but Adelphi also sets itself apart placing great importance on teaching respect and improving morals in order to contribute productive members to society. I Iris currently have a son in the 7th grade and another child who graduated from Adelphi and is currently attending college. I am very thankful that my children were and still are part of Adelphi Academy they have been given foundations to succeed that will go beyond their time in school. They were nurtured and provided the attention that is very difficult to find these days in most institutions of education. Adelphi Academy is truly dedicated to continuing their tradition of excellence in education.

Posted April 9, 2014

Adelphi Academy of Brooklyn is a great school, very friendly environment, very clean, very safe, and the way the kids learn is very good, my daughter is attending there and she is very happy, the way I see her doing her homework and the way she explain to me the strategy the teacher show in the class room I like it very much, she is vey excited about her school, she have improve so much and her test score excellent. This school have a very good, one of my nephew graduated from here and he was the valedictorian and he's now in a great college, we are very proud of him and this is what I want for my daughter and I know it will happen because she is learning so much and the most important thing is that in this school she will accomplish that. The teachers are very good, they help with any thing regarding the students any question we the parents have their e-mail that way we can always be in contact, the school staff is very friendly, is a place that you can come and always feel welcome and they help so much. hope and wish that this school win, the kids will be very happy. Come and visit and you will love this family, because this is what is here FAMILY . A.B.

Posted April 8, 2014

My child started at Adelphi in Kindergarten and is now in the second grade. Overall, Adelphi has been a great experience for her and for us as a family. The most positive aspects include the small class sizes, the open communication between us and the teachers and administration and the excellent level of education to date. Every now and then I take our child's education for granted, but then I notice the level of discipline and the excitement for learning and I think much of this can be attributed to the school and its mission to education the "whole" child. I highly recommend this school and feel that it is a hidden gem within the community.

Posted January 6, 2014

One of the best private schools around today -- wonderful school, wonderful people! The school really takes the time to work with the students and keeps them on track. I have 2 children in the school and have been there for years. My kids love the school and have come such a long way. I recommend the school very highly!

Posted October 8, 2013

I transferred my son to the school this year for the 9th grade and I absolutely love the school. My good friend recommended the school and her 2 children attend there. I receive weekly phone calls, my son is a part of so many clubs, and the level of care and instruction is incredible! I love the Head of School - she is so warm and caring and really is on top of everything. I would recommend this school to everyone!

Posted July 29, 2013

I just recently took a tour of the school and I was so impressed. The building was beautiful and the Admissions Director spent so much time with me. All of my questions were answered and I felt comfortable, welcomed and well informed. I will be enrolling my child for September.

Posted July 23, 2013

Not enough people know about the school and it is a shame. The school is a great school. My son has been attending for the last 4 years and I couldn't ask for more communication, support and concern. The school truly cares about its students and its families. I came across this site and am heartbroken to see any negative comments. I have had nothing but positive experiences.

Posted February 17, 2013

I agree that most of the positive comments must have been written by the school administration which is notorious for its deceiving practices. It is not surprising that the school has such a tremendous turnover of both the stuff and the students. For us it was the worst life experience ever and resulted in my first negative review -- I always try to look at the brighter side of things; however, with Adelphi, the only bright side was when my child left the school... He has attended three other schools since then, including one public, and has been a happy and confident 95% grade student in all of them, winning all the math and spelling bee competitions, while at Adelphi their "genius" teachers tried to tell me he had "learning disabilities" (apparently the school gets funding from the city for each student they label so). I thank God that experience is over!

Posted September 8, 2012

The scholastic excellence, superior educators, and lifetime friends are what we will remember most about our Adelphi days. We are so grateful to have had this experience.

Posted June 1, 2011

Really? New teachers and new students this late in the year? The worst school year of my Childs life!! My child started the school year academically ahead, happy and social. I now have an anxious, unhappy child well behind in academics as compared to other middle school students. The damage done has been a million times worse than the small fortune we invested. No wonder students and teachers disappear overnight with no explanation.

Posted April 1, 2011

this is an ideal school for those seeking a well rounded education. it has a caring faculty and administration. It caters to the individual needs of students.. it has a very safe environment.. Most of all it has a spirit which motivates students to learn..My children look forward to going to school.

Posted March 30, 2011

Positive reviews on this school is by far is administrations clean up job! The school can not compete with surrounding schools or any Great school. How can they if they are not well funded! They will take who evvvvver they can at this point to stay afloat. So do not get fooled and groomed by their sales/advertisement!!! My tuition did not benefit my kids. They did not do anything out of the ordinary for my kids. The school is very closed door policy/non parent involvement. If this school is your last or only option, consider your tuition a big donation for this school to make it by again. "Administration clean up reviews" are shameless!

Posted March 23, 2010

Adelphi Academy is a excellent school. My daughter has attended the school since the 4 th grade , she is happy and doing well.

Posted March 8, 2010

Adelphi is a wonderful school. The class size is small, the teachers work very hard, and my child is happy and learning!!! What a great place!

Posted December 14, 2009

Fabulous school and wonderful events! I just attended the Annual Holiday Brunch and I could not believe how well put together the event was. The room was beautiful and the students in the play were amazing! Great job! I was so impressed with how well my 6 year old performed!!

Posted December 2, 2009

My son was struggling in public school. The teachers didn't care and they wouldn't help him. They said he was below grade level and was not meeting standards. Since enrolling at Adelphi in September, my son has jumped up 2 reading levels and is now on grade level. Public schools are a disgrace and I am so grateful that I found Adelphi. Everything they told me in my admissions interview was true. There is not one promise that they didn't keep. I love Adelphi and it is a great place for a child to grow up in. I can't say enough enough positive things!

Posted November 10, 2009

My children's Catholic school closed in June and I enrolled my children at Adephi in September. I ams so pleased with the school, the teachers, the level of education, and the weekly communication. Adelphi is a wonderful place and I would recommend it to anyone! I look forward to my children continuing at Adelphi for many years to come.

Posted November 10, 2009

Fantastic school and worth every penny! A wonderful and caring place for parents and kids!

College readiness and student pathways

Percentage of students going to 4-year college 100% (2013)
Colleges most students attend after graduation Adelphi University
New York University
Bucknell University
Read more about resources at this school
Source: Manually entered by a school official.

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Art teacher(s)
Reading specialist(s)
Security personnel
School social worker/counselors(s)
Special education coordinator
Speech and language therapist(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Tutor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Italian
Russian
Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

• Speech and language impairments
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Special education coordinator
  • Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)

Specific academic themes or areas of focus
  • Arts (all)
  • Art teacher(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Art room

• PE instructor(s)
  • Access to sports fields
  • Gym
  • Kitchen
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Cooking club
  • Gardening
  • Martial arts (judo, tae kwon do, karate, etc)

Gifted & talented

School start time
  • 8:20 am
School end time
  • 3:15 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 7:00 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
  • Ms. Iphigenia Romanos
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 2 years old
  • Coed
Special schedule
  • Extended/longer school day
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation
  • Nonsectarian
Fax number
  • (718) 238-2894

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Classical (e.g., focuses on the "classics")
  • College prep
  • Individually guided instruction
  • Standards-based
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Arts (all)
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Librarian/media specialist(s)
  • Math specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Reading specialist(s)
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
  • Security personnel
  • Visiting teachers or lecturers from colleges
Transportation options
  • Accessible via public transportation
  • Passes/tokens for public transportation
  • Transportation provided for special education students only
  • Access to sports fields
  • Internet access
  • Kitchen
  • Learning lab
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room

• Drama
Media arts
  • None

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Art club
  • Drama club
  • Game club
  • Homework help/study buddy club
  • Literary magazine
  • Martial arts (judo, tae kwon do, karate, etc)
  • Math club

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer time after school