Packer Collegiate Institute

Private | PK-12 | 945 students

Living in Brooklyn

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $590,200. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,870.

Sweep tile

Posted September 16, 2009

It gave me a love of learning in many fields--a great 'head start'!! I established many life long friendships there as well!

Posted December 10, 2008

This school has diversity and has strived to make sure that if my child has problems in any subject that they are worked with one on one to help them overall this school has done well for my child.

Posted October 16, 2008

OUR CHILD ENTERED IN HIGH SCHOOL. HE HAS THRIVED. I do not know what the orevious reviewer meant by parental invovlment'for the wrong reasons'. They student body is terrific, great values, commitment,hard working and socially aware. It is a great pity that the math department is so weak. I would advise a tutor for all students- it is that bad right now. Fabulous extra curricular opportunities.

Posted March 23, 2008

I am in the packer middle school and I love it! The teachers really make the subjects interesting! I feel very comferatable there, and somtimes it feels very cozy. The things we learn about are interesting and there is a lot of fun lunch time clubs to join!

Posted November 1, 2007

Our son joined Packer this year for high school and loves it. He has always been a 'laptop kid' and enjoys having this be central to the academic experience. Everyone -- teachers, parents and students -- is welcoming to new kids and their families. The teachers are very bright and engaged in their work. The adminisration is very flexible to accommodate needs. We are very happy here.

Posted April 25, 2007

I think packer is a phenomenal school. I attended for over a decade, and still have strong friendships with both students and teachers (yes, I keep in touch with many of them). Packer is a really unique place because it has such a long history and deep tradition, yet it is full of progressive-minded students and faculty you can see this even in the buildings themselves, where students' artwork and poetry dons the walls of these cathedral-like buildings. The teachers, for the most part, are wonderful. There are some brilliant minds who perhaps do not belong in the classroom, but most of them are dedicated, inspiring, and extremely qualified. The sports are impressive, and a new fitness center has been a welcomed addition. The performing arts are wonderful. Visual arts could be improved. The student body could not. Such great kids, so caring, so kind to one another.

Posted March 31, 2007

My children are in the elementary school and with the change in administration things seem much better overall. Unfortunately, I think the school can be more 'academic' - the math and language arts/reading program need to be more rigorous. Other than that the school is very 'in-tune' with the children and their emotional growth.

Posted December 19, 2006

It's a fine school I guess. In terms of academics, I get the feeling that they think that just because they're a private school, they don't need to keep the education level up. The music, arts, and sports programs are great. Parents do get involved, but for the wrong reasons. The biggest problem is the administration.

Posted November 16, 2006

My children are VERY happy at Packer. The administration, parents and students were very welcoming to our entire family. There is a wonderful balance between what has traditionally worked well and a progressive ideology that benefits the children in an ever-changing world.

Posted March 9, 2006

My oldest child attended Packer from kindergarten and is now a senior. My youngest child also attended through middle school. We found Packer to be a nurturing, caring community of parents and teachers who strive to continually evaluate their understanding of the children's needs as learners and people and apply that knowledge to improving the academic, artistic and social aspects of the schools environment. I found the teachers caring and committed, available to work one on one with students and parents and the administration responsive and caring as well. My eldest was able to shape her own path through the high school and spend a portion of her junior year abroad. My youngest is electing to move to another school for high school not because she doesn't love the school and her friends but simply because she wants to stretch herself beyond what she knows to be safe.

Posted November 28, 2005

I've been at Packer since K and I really like it. I would recomend it to any students who want a nuturing enviroment. The laptop program is great although laptops break. The student body is very welcoming to new students and is a great learning eniroment.

Posted September 15, 2005

I'm a teacher and parent in this school, and I've taught at other schools in the NYC area. I moved to Brooklyn so that my kids could attend this amazing school. Diversity is paramount at Packer, not only of ethnicity but also diversity of socio-economic background, religion, culture, and more. The computer program beginning in grade 5 is unlike that of most high schools. The athletic program is somewhat wanting. But for most kids, the sports program is adequate, and the gym teachers are all solid teachers and quite encouraging to the kids. The size of the school is also just right, with about 67 kids per grade till high school, and class sizes are small (about 16-23 per 2 teachers)
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted June 25, 2005

Excellent academics. Traditional prep school environment. Very high level of parental involvement. Hi tech wifi environment from 4th grade upward. Good summer programs. After school is so-so, probably because there are a great deal of stay at home moms. New renovation in buildings and large leafy play yard ('garden').

Posted March 19, 2005

Wonderful school with strong academic emphasis. Quality teachers who are very involved with the kids. Extras such as art and music are excellent.

Posted September 9, 2003

Although this is a high-pressure school, it gives the kids a warm, friendly, and supportive atmosphere where they can always seek help and ask friends for assistance. The teachers are great and offer a lot of support, and with such small grades, they form great personal relationships with the students.

Posted August 26, 2003

I went to Packer, after going to a supposedly spiffy, high-quality school for many years. The academics at Packer were just as high-quality as at the other school, but the overall experience was vastly superior. Packer cared about helping the students be wonderful, helpful people, concerned about community, country, and world affairs. The first school I went to encouraged and attitude of 'if you're smart you're superior to everyone else and you can beat them up intellectually.' Packer taught that gifts were only of use if used for the benefit of others. Packer taught manners, respect for other people, acceptance of diversity. The students of their own volition picked projects to do such as recoreding books for the blind, bringing meals to elderly shut-ins, and so forth. In the years since I have met other Packer students or parents and can see that the fine traditions I admired so much continue. Send your child here if you can!

Posted August 26, 2003

After walking the Packer halls for 13 years, I can say that there is not a more wonderful place to send a child. It has a well balanced atmosphere; of caring and respect, mixed with huge amounts of energy from the teachers, kids and parents. So many wonderful memories took place within the magnificent castle.

Posted August 10, 2003

My two daughters have learned so much at Packer. My oldest daughter started in kindergarten and so did my younger one. The teachers are great at Packer also knowing that they can be educated, safe and happy. I enjoy it at Packer and hope that my daughters enjoy just like i do.

Posted August 10, 2003

I attended Packer for 13 year from 1989 - 2002 and had an amazing experience. I am so thankful for the great education i recieved and the friendships i formed. I will always have a special place in my heart for Packer.

Two or more races 11% N/A
Asian 7% N/A
Asian N/A 6%
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 0% N/A
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab