PK-12|Private

Bad
Good

Packer was great for me. I attended there from kindergarten through 4th grade. Now, as I reflect on my education at Packer, and my current school, as I am preparing to apply to high schools now, I will say packer was an amazing experience and will be a great choice for many children. One thing parents must be wary of is that for an exceptionally bright child, the curriculum is interesting but taught too casually. When I switched to a different school and the deadlines were shorter and I knew I was being given more work than my friends at Packer because I had kept in touch with them, I thrived. At first it was difficult, but eventually I realized I hadn't been working to my fullest potential at Packer. However, I will say, the friendships I made at Packer were unlike any others. The people I met, the experience I had, the teachers, all of it, even now, to me, was invaluable. So my advice to you, is enroll your child. If, like my parents, you realize that even by age 10, your child isn't working to their fullest potential at Packer, there are other options. But even if you only give them those 5 years at Packer, I promise they will be well worth it.

It gave me a love of learning in many fields--a great 'head start'!! I established many life long friendships there as well!

This school has diversity and has strived to make sure that if my child has problems in any subject that they are worked with one on one to help them overall this school has done well for my child.

OUR CHILD ENTERED IN HIGH SCHOOL. HE HAS THRIVED. I do not know what the orevious reviewer meant by parental invovlment'for the wrong reasons'. They student body is terrific, great values, commitment,hard working and socially aware. It is a great pity that the math department is so weak. I would advise a tutor for all students- it is that bad right now. Fabulous extra curricular opportunities.

I am in the packer middle school and I love it! The teachers really make the subjects interesting! I feel very comferatable there, and somtimes it feels very cozy. The things we learn about are interesting and there is a lot of fun lunch time clubs to join!

Our son joined Packer this year for high school and loves it. He has always been a 'laptop kid' and enjoys having this be central to the academic experience. Everyone -- teachers, parents and students -- is welcoming to new kids and their families. The teachers are very bright and engaged in their work. The adminisration is very flexible to accommodate needs. We are very happy here.

I think packer is a phenomenal school. I attended for over a decade, and still have strong friendships with both students and teachers (yes, I keep in touch with many of them). Packer is a really unique place because it has such a long history and deep tradition, yet it is full of progressive-minded students and faculty you can see this even in the buildings themselves, where students' artwork and poetry dons the walls of these cathedral-like buildings. The teachers, for the most part, are wonderful. There are some brilliant minds who perhaps do not belong in the classroom, but most of them are dedicated, inspiring, and extremely qualified. The sports are impressive, and a new fitness center has been a welcomed addition. The performing arts are wonderful. Visual arts could be improved. The student body could not. Such great kids, so caring, so kind to one another.

My children are in the elementary school and with the change in administration things seem much better overall. Unfortunately, I think the school can be more 'academic' - the math and language arts/reading program need to be more rigorous. Other than that the school is very 'in-tune' with the children and their emotional growth.

It's a fine school I guess. In terms of academics, I get the feeling that they think that just because they're a private school, they don't need to keep the education level up. The music, arts, and sports programs are great. Parents do get involved, but for the wrong reasons. The biggest problem is the administration.

My children are VERY happy at Packer. The administration, parents and students were very welcoming to our entire family. There is a wonderful balance between what has traditionally worked well and a progressive ideology that benefits the children in an ever-changing world.

Last modified Packer Collegiate Institute is a Private school that serves grades PK-12