No rating

Lutheran Elementary School Of Bay Ridge

Private | PK-8 | 45 students

Living in Brooklyn

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $369,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,400.

Posted June 23, 2014

Unfortunately, we haven't had a good experince with this school, either. My child needed additional help with his studying due to health issues, which the principal was informed prior to admitting my child to this school. The school assured us they had a myriad of support if needed, which wasn't true. They couldn't even tell us of any resources available in the vicinity. As a result, we were forced to take my child from this school. Additionally, my child came home a few times with bruises and the teacher didn't even notice how and when the incidents had happened. The only good thing I can say about this school: there a couple of young, motivated and passionated teachers who tried their best to help us, however they seemed to be afraid of the old cadre running the school. My advice, please check the school's reviews before sending your child there.

Posted June 3, 2014

LES is a wonderful community that embraces all of its students. I can not relate to the previous post, knowing how happy the students are - coming from a diverse background, including financially. This can be seen in the alumni who come back to visit their teachers and friends. There is discipline and rules are enforced, but there is also an open door policy to meet with the administration if you have concerns. My children wake up each morning excited to got o school and always ask to stay for any after school activities.

Posted June 2, 2014

This is the worst private school. This is a gossip school. From the parents to the teachers. The principle and vice principle are no exceptions. My child went here for 1st and 2nd grade. He would come home and tell me about financial problems other students parents were having. When I asked how he found out he stated that the teachers were talking to the vice principle about them in front of the students. One of his best friends in the class was getting picked on and when he stuck up for him I was told to tell him not to stick up for his friend unless he wanted to be picked on also. If your child has a problem with bullying in the classroom you will not get any help. They will tell the child being bullied to deal with it. The only thing that matters to these people is money. The more money a person has the better their child will be treated. I've never encountered a school where the children and the teachers all make fun of other students together. I would suggest for anyone looking for a school to skip this one. They make you think they have a loving environment when it is anything but loving.

Posted June 2, 2014

We've been with LES for one year only, but we are very happy with it! My child comes home happy and runs to school every day smyling, loves her teachers and friends. They do so many interesting things in school! I personally have not had or heard any thing that would compromise the whole school family.

Posted September 20, 2012

My son couldn't be happier at LES. This is his first year at Lutheran Elementary School and he can't wait to get there in the morning. As a parent I was concerned that he would be in best school that we could find in Bay Ridge and I'm confident even after just a short time that my husband and I made the right choice. I can't think of any school in my memory where the principal and even some of the teachers wait outside the school and welcome the students in the morning. Our plan is to have our son attend LES til he graduates in Eighth Grade. I pick my son up at the end of the school day and meet and talk with some of the other parents. You learn alot about a school that way and I've learned that so many of the parents have more than one child either in the school now or have graduated in the past. For me, that speaks volumes about the quality of a school. We're thrilled with LES and my son just loves it. He even asked me why he couldn't go to school on Saturday too.

Posted February 9, 2012

Provincial neighborhood school. We were told that the teachers were able to teach a child who was learning the english language.This was not the case. We're sorry that we did not take our child out sooner. Our child is now thriving and an honor student.

Posted December 28, 2011

The teachers and administration at Lutheran Elementary School of Bay Ridge (aka LES of Brooklyn) should be ashamed of themselves. So much so, that we pulled our children out in the middle of the year. The language and discipline used towards my child and even myself was unprofessional and hurtful to say the least. The warmth that you initially find is not what's really going on at this school.

Posted September 9, 2011

I am a former student from the 1970s! I am a successful professional and believe that my academic foundation at LES, coupled with a fantastic high school thereafter, well prepared me for college and law school. I always think to myself that I owe so much of my success to LES. I no longer live in the area so could not send my own children to LES, but when looking for an elementary school for them, I knew I wanted to find a school as much like LES as possible and was fortunate to be able to do so. For me, LES is the benchmark of a quality elementary education.

Posted October 13, 2010

LES is nurturing and welcoming. My daughter returned for the second year and was excited to see the familiar teachers and friends. The teachers as well as the older students make it easy for the younger children to adapt and enjoy learning. I feel very fortunate to have this wonderful experience when it could have gone a different way. As a parent all the concerns are eliminated when it comes to dropping of my daughter at LES.

Posted October 8, 2010

LES is such a great and wonderful school in so many ways. Mrs. Tuccillo is not only the principal of the school but she is also a second mom to all the children. She and her staff genuinely care not only about the academic progression of our children but also about who and what they become. My daughter is a 2010 graduate who visits back every opportunity she gets. My son is in nursery and also attends the after school program. This should be difficult for a 3 yr old but he loves all his teachers and they love and nurture him. He is so excited every morning to go to school. Thank you LES for making this an easy transition for him and for me!! LES is a must see!!!

Posted October 7, 2010

My one word to describe LES is KIND. LES nutures, educates and supports the whole child, not just one aspect of education. They insist on the child doing the school work, instead of grading projects and reports obiviously done by the parents. Great place!

Posted October 7, 2010

L.E.S. of Bay Ridge is an amazing school that is far beyond a parent or students expectations. The academic standards is incredible, the nurturing environment is something you won't find anywhere else. Each student is known for them as a individual which is so critical in the development they need in today's world. My son couldn't wait to return in the fall not only to see his peers but because of the amazing curriculum, faculty & administration. I encourage parents to see first-hand and enroll their child to gain the opportunity we value everyday and year.

Posted October 7, 2010

LES is a nuturing and loving environment for my son, he has been there since age two and has already made lifelong friendships. He runs into the building each morning and can hardly wait to see his Pre-K teachers. The entire faculty is knowledgable and caring. We are truly blessed to have LES in such a large city. Each child is really meant to feel individual and also part of a wonderful community.

Posted January 23, 2007

All I can say is where do kids go running in on the first day of school to hug the principal and the previous year's teacher because they missed them!

Posted April 5, 2006

This is my son's first year at this school. When I drop him off at school I feel great to see that he is 100% comfortable and actually runs to the school in the morning. He loves his kindergarten teachers and so do I. They are loving and truly care for the children in their class. The principal is there every morning to greet every student that has early drop off for working parents. She is great. The one thing that they lack is extracurricular activities such as sports since they do not have a gym but they do have a large yard which the children play in.

Posted June 6, 2005

I have been attending LES for the last 6 years and I know it is the best in the area. I have also gone to 3 other school two public and one private and I have found that LES is the best one on the four.
—Submitted by a student

Posted February 20, 2005

This is my child's first year at this school but I trust the people there and love the school. There is a good student teacher ratio. There is a very open and comfortable staff. The kindergarten teachers there are excellent! I know next year will be great also.

Posted January 25, 2005

This school provides solid academics in a nurturing environment. In addition to providing a strong foundation in the 3 'r's' art, music, and computers are also provided as courses, even in the lower grades. A resource room has been set up for those children who need a little extra help. You know that you have a good school when students like to arrive at the school 45 minutes early and don't want to leave afterwards. I wouldn't send my 6 year old son to any other school.

Asian 6% N/A
Two or more races 1% N/A
Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander N/A 6%
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 0% N/A
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

• Lorraine M. Tuccillo
  • Coed
Affiliation
  • Evangelical lutheran church in america
Associations
  • ELEA

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

440 Ovington Avenue