No rating

St Edmund Elementary School

Private | PK-8 | 261 students

Living in Brooklyn

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $420,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,260.

Posted April 27, 2014

The last post was written when a horrible math teacher was there who did not know the curriculum. The teacher that came back is very qualified and knowledgeable of her subject area. The lacking is now coming from the teachers in grades 1-5. How can one teacher be expected to teach everything the kids should have learned already plus their own grade level.

Posted July 29, 2010

If you have the opportunity to send your children to one of the strong elementary or middle schools in Sheepshead Bay, do it.. My son will be going on to a public HS and I fear he is not prepared for the rigors of a public school math class. I fully expect to have to hire a tutor so he doesn't fail miserably in his freshman Integrated Algebra class. The science teacher, Mrs Umlas, spent more time berating the kids, letting them know how apathetic and lazy they are than actually teaching the kids. I don't know why the principal tolerates such a high degree of laziness and mediocrity from these teachers. My son had a 90+ average in both science and math but I know ,based on the work he brought home, that he would never be able to compete with a 90+ student in public school.

Posted April 14, 2010

The school is in good condition, generally clean and well maintained. The ciriculum is similar to other elementary schools in the area. There are times when it has proved difficult to obtain information. If you are not involved in the home school association you often have to rely on other parents to obtain information on activites. Some of the teachers and the Principal are strict and it seems small or minor infractions such as the wrong sock length or a missing tie is addressed quickly however more serious problems which need to be addressed are sometimes not. I have seen a staff memeber show favortisim towards children who are relatives. I do feel my child is safe in this school and the majority of the teachers are good educators.

Posted January 13, 2009

We are proud to be a part of St. Edmund's family. Our children are very HAPPY with all their teachers. They feel very safe and are well cared for from The Principal to the custodian. One of many features St.Edmund's offers is the opportunity to continue on to the High School which also has a fantastic staff and a GREAT graduation percentage that continues on to college. Coming from a closing school in 2003, we truly made the best choice for our children. We know we are in the perfect place when former student's grandchildren attend St.Edmund School. All the Best in 2009! Keep up the Great job!

Posted October 27, 2008

The school condition itself is always kept up. Teachers, although sometimes a little strict, are exeptional at helping us understand the assignments and lessons. The principal of the school, Mrs. McEvoy, is always looking for ways to improve the school and tears her hair out on a daily basis working on setting special events up, listening to problems among students, and keeping order in the school. This school has helped me to overcome Every problem I've come across in some way. I just hope the school continues to thrive and to help to lift others up academically, socially, and spiritually. class of 2009, vice president, Christopher Pung
—Submitted by a student

Posted June 22, 2008

St. Edmund is a great elementary school. Ms. McEvoy, the principal, is very devoted to the school, and truly cares about the students. The teachers are terrific, and there have been many improvements made to the school to keep it strong. I am very happy that my children attend.

Posted March 13, 2008

The leadership in this school is non-existent. The teachers, for the most part, are good. Bullying is part of the curriculum, practiced mostly by the Principal.My child is a much better person and has self-esteem back now that he is somewhere else.A place where everyone is treated equally.

Posted September 4, 2007

Academically this school is very good. On the level of fair and equal communication to all parents, the school is lacking. Information is not shared at the same time with all parents and you have to get bits and pieces of informtion anyway you can. The homeschool association parents and their friends have all of the needed information. If you are a working parent who does not have time to be at the school all day you have to make sure that you call around to get info or you will miss out on things you need to know. Parent teacher meetings seldom happen only 1 or maybe 2 per year. When the Principle lays out plans for future meetings, you never hear anything about the plans again. The Principle needs to focus on improving communication to all parents no matter how insignificant the info is.

Posted August 6, 2007

well, i am an alumni of st edmund's elem. school, having graduated last year. I gave it my all, but it was disapointing. Why is there a 4 out of 5 on this review, then? Faculty. Mrs. Loretta Umlas is one of the most amazing teachers out there, and she works here. She is amazing. The principal is above average too, being a rather likable woman and all. Why don't I like it? A lack of extra curricular activities, a poor way of handling bullying, and such.
—Submitted by a student

Posted May 1, 2007

St. Edmund is a wonderful school with a wonderful administration, faculty and staff. They always put the child first

Posted March 11, 2006

Staff and teachers are genuilly nice people. Many people participate in school events such as the christmas carnival, valentine day sale. They even have a chinese new year dinner! There are always something going on at the school. Parents usually like this school. Most teachers seem to be patience with the student. However, not sure if they know how to handle the student when the student is not behaving.

Posted August 25, 2004

After looking at many different early childhood schools in the area for my child, I found St. Edmunds to be the best. St. Edmund Elementary School has a very dedicated, proffesional, caring, group of teachers and staff. What my child has learned in Kindergarten alone is amazing. The leadership of the Principal is outstanding. Parent involvement is very strong, which makes for a family oriented school. This school is a great start for early childhood learning. Overall Quality A+

Posted August 25, 2004

This is a great school with very dedicated, caring, professional, teachers and staff. The parents are very involved in the school which makes for a close, community feeling in the school.I know my children will benefit from being in this school, academically, socially and spiritually.

Posted April 9, 2004

My 2 kids attend this school not because we're in the catholic religion, but because it's just a wonderful school. It's got personalization, structure,and fantastic supervision (just to name a few). Parents are very involved as well as the principal. I'm so glad that we made the choice of bringing our children here. Soon there will be 3 of our kids attending and of course, tuition is not an easy thing at all. But in all honesty, it is all worth it. I'm sure majority of the families make sacrificies so their children can attend this school but we all know we've made the right choice. When it comes down to St. Edmund Elementary, bullying and nonsense is just not tolerated!! The bottom line, it's a great school!! I know my kids are not only getting a great education, they are safe and that is just as important! Mei Ng

Posted February 23, 2004

I went to St. Edmund more than 20 years ago, along with three other family members. Parents are very involved and the administrative leadership is unparalleled. The children are always the first priority. The memories remained with all of us through adulthood and now our children are the second generation to attend.
—Submitted by a former student

Asian 10% N/A
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 1% N/A
Two or more races 1% N/A
Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander N/A 6%
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Mariann Solano
  • Coed
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Associations
  • NCEA

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Diocese of Brooklyn

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

1902 Avenue T