Brooklyn, NY

St Edmund Elementary School 1

Posted April 27, 2014
The last post was written when a horrible math teacher was there who did not know the curriculum. The teacher that came back is very qualified and knowledgeable of her subject area. The lacking is now coming from the teachers in grades 1-5. How can one teacher be expected to teach everything the kids should have learned already plus their own grade level.

St Edmund Elementary School 2

Posted July 29, 2010
If you have the opportunity to send your children to one of the strong elementary or middle schools in Sheepshead Bay, do it.. My son will be going on to a public HS and I fear he is not prepared for the rigors of a public school math class. I fully expect to have to hire a tutor so he doesn't fail miserably in his freshman Integrated Algebra class. The science teacher, Mrs Umlas, spent more time berating the kids, letting them know how apathetic and lazy they are than actually teaching the kids. I don't know why the principal tolerates such a high degree of laziness and mediocrity from these teachers. My son had a 90+ average in both science and math but I know ,based on the work he brought home, that he would never be able to compete with a 90+ student in public school.

St Edmund Elementary School 3

Posted April 14, 2010
The school is in good condition, generally clean and well maintained. The ciriculum is similar to other elementary schools in the area. There are times when it has proved difficult to obtain information. If you are not involved in the home school association you often have to rely on other parents to obtain information on activites. Some of the teachers and the Principal are strict and it seems small or minor infractions such as the wrong sock length or a missing tie is addressed quickly however more serious problems which need to be addressed are sometimes not. I have seen a staff memeber show favortisim towards children who are relatives. I do feel my child is safe in this school and the majority of the teachers are good educators.

St Edmund Elementary School

Posted January 13, 2009
We are proud to be a part of St. Edmund's family. Our children are very HAPPY with all their teachers. They feel very safe and are well cared for from The Principal to the custodian. One of many features St.Edmund's offers is the opportunity to continue on to the High School which also has a fantastic staff and a GREAT graduation percentage that continues on to college. Coming from a closing school in 2003, we truly made the best choice for our children. We know we are in the perfect place when former student's grandchildren attend St.Edmund School. All the Best in 2009! Keep up the Great job!

Posted October 27, 2008
The school condition itself is always kept up. Teachers, although sometimes a little strict, are exeptional at helping us understand the assignments and lessons. The principal of the school, Mrs. McEvoy, is always looking for ways to improve the school and tears her hair out on a daily basis working on setting special events up, listening to problems among students, and keeping order in the school. This school has helped me to overcome Every problem I've come across in some way. I just hope the school continues to thrive and to help to lift others up academically, socially, and spiritually. class of 2009, vice president, Christopher Pung

Posted June 22, 2008
St. Edmund is a great elementary school. Ms. McEvoy, the principal, is very devoted to the school, and truly cares about the students. The teachers are terrific, and there have been many improvements made to the school to keep it strong. I am very happy that my children attend.

St Edmund Elementary School 1

Posted March 13, 2008
The leadership in this school is non-existent. The teachers, for the most part, are good. Bullying is part of the curriculum, practiced mostly by the Principal.My child is a much better person and has self-esteem back now that he is somewhere else.A place where everyone is treated equally.

St Edmund Elementary School 3

Posted September 04, 2007
Academically this school is very good. On the level of fair and equal communication to all parents, the school is lacking. Information is not shared at the same time with all parents and you have to get bits and pieces of informtion anyway you can. The homeschool association parents and their friends have all of the needed information. If you are a working parent who does not have time to be at the school all day you have to make sure that you call around to get info or you will miss out on things you need to know. Parent teacher meetings seldom happen only 1 or maybe 2 per year. When the Principle lays out plans for future meetings, you never hear anything about the plans again. The Principle needs to focus on improving communication to all parents no matter how insignificant the info is.

St Edmund Elementary School 4

Posted August 06, 2007
well, i am an alumni of st edmund's elem. school, having graduated last year. I gave it my all, but it was disapointing. Why is there a 4 out of 5 on this review, then? Faculty. Mrs. Loretta Umlas is one of the most amazing teachers out there, and she works here. She is amazing. The principal is above average too, being a rather likable woman and all. Why don't I like it? A lack of extra curricular activities, a poor way of handling bullying, and such.

Posted May 01, 2007
St. Edmund is a wonderful school with a wonderful administration, faculty and staff. They always put the child first

St Edmund Elementary School
1902 Avenue T, Brooklyn, NY  11229
Last modified St Edmund Elementary School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8
St Edmund Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 22 reviews. Top