No rating

St Mark's Day School

Private | PK-8 | 264 students

Living in Brooklyn

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $410,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,180.

Posted September 1, 2014

Wow, I went to St. Marks in the eighties and the curriculum was stellar. I received an excellent education. Now as a mom looking for a school for my little one, it's sad to hear about the decline in standards.

Posted June 4, 2014

I am so disappointed in how this school is run. The teachers are NOT qualified, and everything is swept under the rug, or there is a secrecy pact! You pay for an all year program which entails HW help, and HW is never done, but everytime you go to pick up your child, they're dumped infront the stupid TELL-LIE-VISION! If parents are paying for after school program , we should expect services to be rendered! This school is all about money, and academically they're not doing well! Very disorganized school/poor leadership.

Posted June 2, 2014

it is sad that st. marks reputation is declining. the headmaster along with the principal and assistant principal need to come together for the benefit of the students to make positive changes for the school. it is puzzling that the school would hire an individual who was unable to save his own school. since he has been the vice principal I have not seen any improvement. it has been three years of deterioration. again changes need to be made. fresh teachers with new ideas should be explored. I think there is hope for the school but it can only happen if changes are made. teachers need more professional development so they are aware of new techniques and methods of teaching as well as materials that can be used in the classroom. the school should try to raise or obtain funds in order to have smartboards in each classroom. I have seen where the students are academically more advanced than their counterparts in the public and charter schools but more can be done for saint marks students. parents, teachers, principal, assistant principal, headmaster and the community should come together to improve the school for the benefit of our children. let us keep the flame burning for st marks

Posted May 30, 2014

This school has unqualified teachers. The teachers have no respect for parents nor students. They call the students degrading names such as empty heads. Even the Pre-K class was called empty heads. The teachers chat all day amongst themselves while four year olds are running next to an open staircase. They are unlicensed and uncaring, they are there to chat and laugh amongst each other.and get paid for being there, but not teach these kids or even care about them. Please spend your hard earned money somewhere else, because it will be wasted here.

Posted May 24, 2014

Substandard education, from mostly uncertified teachers. I was appalled at some reports from parents regarding the quality of education and the overall condition of the school. If this school was THE school before, something went drastically wrong!! Because its not the same. DO NOT send your kids to this school. Demand a walk through, educate yourself parents!!! Look out for your children's futures! $6K+ a year for nothing!!!

Posted May 15, 2014

Clearly the "parent" who left the post on May 9, 2014 is not a parent, perhaps a teacher or administrator trying to make the school appear to be better than what it is because there hasnt been an afterschool karate program for months and just this week we received text msgs from the principal inviting the parents to sign the children up for the "new" karate program afterschool. So clearly someone is trying to mislead the public. This school has gone downhill and our child will be removed.

Posted May 9, 2014

St Mark's Day School is an awesome institution that prepares it's children to be competitive into the next phase of their education. Combining small class sizes and a strong Christian education foundation, I love what this school offers. Combined with their new after school karate program, St. Mark's Day School should be everyone's first choice when searching for a school for their children

Posted January 23, 2014

My daughter went here from 2010-11. This school was horrible. One of the nursery school teachers barely spoke English, and the other one seemed uncaring. They slam on the tables with a ruler and yell at the kids as if they are animals. My daughter constantly got sick there because they didn't keep toys and play areas sanitary. The graduation ceremony they had for the kids was disorganized. There was even an incident where my daughters hand was caught in the door causing injury and the teachers denied anything happening. I could go on and on about their flaws but I won't. Don't send your kids to this school!

Posted January 2, 2014

No focus.....wasting money sending my child to this school. The principal assistant Mr. Bishop Joseph is lacking experience in how to handle matters with students. He's unorganized and unprofessional. We will say goodbye to St. Mark's.

Posted December 28, 2013

Mr. smith just fired miss joseph Verbina for abusing people kids after a lot of complain from parents. Please parents don't put your kids and that school my child was in that school for 2 years.

Posted December 17, 2013

St Marks no longer represents a top performing private school. The school is lacking effective leadership and teachers. Couple that with rude staff members no wonder why there has been a significant decline in the student body. What I would like to know from the headmaster is what miracle will the current AP perform to save St Marks from closing its doors when he was unable to save his previous school from closing down? The school did not change with the time; teachers and material are old and outdated. I'm not discriminating against seasoned teachers but I strongly believe that some young and compassionate teachers with fresh ideas and approach to teaching are desperately needed at ST Marks.

Posted October 28, 2012

St. Mark's gave me the fantastic foundation on which I have built my life and I am forever grateful! I was a student there in grades K-4 in the late 1980s until my family moved to upstate NY and was devastated when I had to leave this great school. Despite my departure, I took away many cherished memories and close friendships which started at the age of 4 that have remained to this day! The teaching staff provided an encouraging yet firm learning environment, everyone knew one another and I know that the values and behavior which were expected of us in school have had a significant influence on my personal and professional conduct in life. I have been living in Europe for the past 10 years, graduating from university in the UK with an MA (Hons) in Politics and International Relations and I know that it was St Mark's that played in HUGE part in shaping me into the confident, intelligent young woman that I am today. I hope that when I have children, I will be able to find a school as great as St. Mark's to give them the kind of educational head-start that I was given.

Posted August 7, 2012

I have been calling this school for a month trying to get correct information regarding registration processes. I have spoken to 3 different people who have given me 3 different registration procedures. Then when I did speak with Ms. Fleming she was rude and short with me because I guess i had too many questions.

Posted May 3, 2012

This school has done a poor job of preparing our children. No school should cause emotional stress for any child. Shame on you for collecting tuition but no caring enough to offer programs for our children.

Posted September 23, 2009

I began my school life with St. Mark's when they first opened their doors in 1977/78 and I felt that it was the perfect place to start my daughter and son. The school provides a great foundation through their early childhood program, with computers and hands on science and foreign language (Spanish). The elementary and middle school components intergrate Spanish AND French.along with the fundamentals of Math, ELA, Computer & Music . . .Oh La la! My son is excited to go back every year!!! They Instruct & They Care! Last year we hired a new principal and the expectation levels have risen and trust me, we can compete with the neighborhood public schools!!! Watch Out!

Posted September 13, 2009

My son attended the preschool and had difficulty adjusting; the teachers gave us no meaningful feedback or suggestions throughout the semester to alleviate the issues. At the end of the semester, they presented us with a poor report card, alleging complaints that were never expressed previously. I have since had my my son evaluated for special needs. The problem with St. Marks is that the teachers never expressed serious concerns over his behavior or learning capacity and never suggested having him evaluated. In fact, they were going to allow him to to enter the kindergarten class knowing issues existed. I do not think this is in the best interest of any child.

Posted September 10, 2009

My two children graduated from St. Mark's Day School in the '90s and now, my 12 yr old granddaughter attends the school. I enrolled her because I was secure in the knowledge that she would get a superior education as opposed to public school. More importantly is this is a religious school in the Anglican tradition, a tradition that I, and my children were raised up in. Although the school is competitive educationally, the reinforcement of this tradition and the dedication of the faculty and staff makes St. Mark's Day School a unique gem in the NY school system. Many parents feel that since they pay a tuition, they don't have to be as 'involved' as public schools. However, you get back what you put in. If you value your child's education and spiritual enrichment, St. Mark's Day School is an excellent choice.

Posted September 10, 2009

I will have to agree with some of the parents comments listed below. At first, I was a bit concern with the extracurricular activities. Remarkably, the education their was something irresistible, I saw great improvement in my child's behavior and education. With the outstanding efforts from some of the teachers, to name a few, Ms. Humphrey, Ms.Daniels and not forgetting Ms.Forbes, the vice principal, such a wonderful and approachable woman. Unfortunately, we relocated and I'm not quite convinced about the academic approach that I see in the school system out here. So, I'm really contemplating about taking her back. Keep up the good work St.Marks.

Posted August 4, 2009

I've had 2 children at St. Mark's since 2005. My son has graduated and is will be a senior in high school this September. My daughter still attends St. Mark's and will be in the 5th grade this September. She will continue to attend St. Mark's until she is ready for high school or until I cannot afford it anymore. Both my children have received an excellent education at St. Mark's. My daughter is learning two languages, French and Spanish. Can there be more extra-curricular activities, yes. But I'm not that concerned about that. As her parent I ensure she 's well grounded. I am concerned about her receiving an up-standing education and at St. Mark's she is receiving that. More parents should volunteer their time and resources to aid Dr. Macatee (who's doing an excellent job) and the staff in keeping St. Mark's the excellent school I believe it

Posted August 4, 2009

My Son has been a student at St Marks since the 2nd Grade. We had a supper experience both academically and spritualy. He is now moving on to High School and was awarded a few Scholarships to local schools as well as out of State institutions. I tuely believe that sending him to St. Marks was the best decision that I ever made. The staff and teachers are wonderful and careing. Administration works with the parents and students to make sure they succeed. I would have liked more extra-curricular activities but that was limited to schools physical space constraints, however I was happy to scrifice that to have had the quality education that my son received.

Asian 0% N/A
Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander N/A 6%
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 0% N/A
Two or more races 0% N/A
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Derick Smith
  • Coed
Affiliation
  • Episcopal
Associations
  • NAES

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

1346 President Street