No rating

Big Apple Academy

Private | PK-8 | 1016 students

WHERE EXELLENCE BECOMES TRADITION

Living in Brooklyn

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $530,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,260.

Posted June 25, 2014

Overrated, overpriced, loosely managed school with the biggest accent on charging clients lots of money while hiring poorly trained, uncertified, inept teachers. This is not a school - this is an overly expensive parking lot of your children.

Posted May 23, 2014

Wish city would take this school as a model for public schools. cost per child is much lower than what city pay. Most parents are happy with education. I am very happy. The only reason i am posting the review is because i was looking for official address and did a quick Google and got to this site. I really do not care what others think I know I am doing the right thing for my child.

Posted March 13, 2013

Overrated! Parents are the once who make students so successful! All the stuff does - create competitive environment and Overload children with homework. Rest is done by poor parents.

Posted September 7, 2012

After reading the reviews I decided to post one myself. As a parent of a child who attended Bambi for K and also as the husband of someone who taught at the school. Most of the teachers are NOT licensed. Some of the younger teachers have yet to graduate college let alone have a master's. My daughter needed therapy after the negative reinforcement techniques used by the teachers. When we got next to the school each morning, this usually happy child would put her head down and beg not to go. When she couldn't do 2nd grade math problems (in Kindergarten) the teacher actually threatened to write "DUMMY" on her forehead with a permanent marker. When my wife confronted her, she didn't even deny it. The admin staff encourages teachers to give good grades even if the children don't deserve them in order to prevent parents from pulling their kids from the school. My wife who is a licensed NYS teacher with a Masters pulled my daughter out and left the school herself. By far the biggest mistake we ever made.

Posted May 25, 2012

My kid had been studying in that school starting from pre-school and finishing last year in the 9th grade. Unfortunately there wasn't 10th grade in the school, otherwise my child would have been there for sure.

Posted May 25, 2012

Two of the departments that really stand out in my memory are the Math and English departments. Math teachers in this school are really strong and very serious about their subject. Lessons were very clear and homework assignments were challenging enough for us to absorb the material, but not overwhelming. I recall seeing math topics studied at other schools and they were a joke in comparison to the ones we learnt. English classes... I cannot stress how difficult it is to encounter good English teachers nowadays and I have seen quite a few from different middle schools. They often do not teach grammar or skim through the reading texts and just focus on having their students perform on simple standardized exams, which I hate. In Big Apple Academy this is really not the case. They have strong faculty for both - grammar and literature lessons. This really helps once you get to taking SAT's for colleges. I came to BAMBI knowing no English at all and got perfect on the SAT English and 75% of grammar I needed I learnt at BAMBI. Overall, once I got to high school, I realized just how well prepared I was in all the departments. BAMBI is a great and challenging environment.

Posted May 25, 2012

One thing that is truly unique to this school is the attention provided by faculty. Everyone - from teachers to the principal - is available for parents and students to talk to. The environment is respectful and caring. I do not remember being in a situation when I, as a student, had a problem - personal or academic - and was not offered help from the faculty. I really enjoyed the personal approach to academics. My classmates and I knew the teachers and felt free to speak to them about our progress and the subject material. If we ever had questions, they were always answered. In general, I would say that this school is for those who want to succeed. If a student is serious about academics and wanting to learn, he/she will REALLY benefit from this program. If a student wants to slack off, this school is not right for them. The only negative feedback I ever heard about the school came from students and parents of students who wanted to breeze through school without lifting a finger. In terms of the environment, students become really close friends. Teachers move from class to class - not students, which makes it a lot easier to interact during breaks. I had a great experience.

Posted May 25, 2012

BAMBI was the first school I attended in the United States after I immigrated from Russia. Teachers helped me assimilate, learn the language and get up to speed in all of the subjects. Within two years, the school prepared me for the SHSAT and I got into Staten Island Tech without having to receive outside tutoring or paying ridiculous amounts for the preparatory programs. When I started attending SIT, I felt confident in all of the subject areas and aced my classes, not without BAMBI's influence. I now attend MIT; I got here without participating in any of the SAT prep programs. I feel that math, English, and science base I received in BAMBI helped carry me through high school years and really aided in preparation for most of the standardized tests I took for college admission. I sincerely recommend this school.

Posted May 24, 2012

I've been working in that school over 10 years. I swear I've never thought for the moment to change my job. Thank you Big Apple Institute!!!
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted May 16, 2012

I was concerned about this school because of some reviews and even more concerned when I went there for tour and was unfortunate enough to be toured by careless secretary who kept texting someone on her phone while talking to us. So we decided to give this school another chance and still went for placement test to Kindergarten at Big Apple Academy. That was a shame of organization. They put about 100 parents with their kids at the SAME time into ONE space - tight hallway. Nobody gave us any direction or tried to organize crowd somehow. Everything was very chaotic. And THAT was my daughter's first schools experience! I looked at this disorganized crowd and thought: will stuff of this school be able to organize students and get them out in case of emergency??? I doubt that. Sorry, but this school is out of our list.

Posted March 16, 2012

This school is great. The teachers are just professional. This is an environment I like to have transferred from a public school. Thanks to the teachers and administration of big apple academy

Posted February 3, 2012

This school is an amazing school. My daughter knows more than me! This school is an oppurtunity for her to learn and socialize. She comes home looking so happy and says, "Mom, I had the best time at school."

Posted November 3, 2011

This is the worst school ever. If you hate your kids then send them here. This school is like a Russian store. The English teacher is 23 and speaks Russian in class. A 23 yr old shouldn't be teaching 12-13 yr old's. She doesn't teach anything only talks about her boyfriend. The math teacher is a rude, disrespectful person. She doesn't care about anything. She is tough screams and hits children for nothing. The Science teacher is a old 72 year old man and by the time he gets to there class he has no time to teach or sits on the phone talking you his friends. The S.S. teacher doesn't teach at all. The only teacher that teaches is the Russian teacher. The sport teacher cares about himself and money. He loves to say " Don't smile I am not your Dentist. " This school doesn't teach anything and is just a Russian name/ Russian Bazaar. If you have no where else to spend $850 for nothing then bring your kids here.

Posted October 19, 2011

Worst experience i ever had. Teachers are careless and materialistic, very rude and obnoxious.You have been judged by gifts you make. Lots of teachers have terrible Russian ascent, and kids repeat their mispronunciation. By 2nd grade lots of kids don't read well. Math is very advanced, but why would they need 60-100 multiplication or division examples every day for their HW? HW in school is done by teachers, sometimes even written by them. Food is also bad for this amount of money, children didn't like it. Principle is old and forgets what he does in a couple of minutes. Never gets a solution to any problem. My child lost a copy of his HW in a first grade and principle said that copies are expensive nowadays, so they don't have any extra.

Posted October 11, 2011

- The staffs are full of themselves and disrespectful - The teachers are unprofessional and cold to children as well as the parents most of the times - Too much time is being spent on gossiping between the staff then on students/kids - Children are given more work to do at home with the parents then they do at school ( this is why children are advanced )

Posted September 20, 2011

Here is an example: I just took my daughter out of bambi and put her into a gifted and talented school called nest+m. A great school, rated best in nyc according to newsweek. What a joke. For for the past two weeks she has been cutting out snowflakes. No homework, no textbooks and no journal. All i have to say .........as though as the curriculum is ( i do think the math teacher is insane) they provide a challenging program for those exceptional kids that can handle the challenge. This school is not for everyone. Some kids are not cut out for it. i do agree that most of the kids are materialistic and stuck up and every one likes kids who behave well. But overall the knowledge they provide is by far better then any public school.

Posted March 7, 2011

It is a great school in spite of the fact that the program and the environment are tough. But if you want the best for your child that is the place to be!

Posted January 11, 2011

This "school" is nothing more than a place that sucks the life out of its students, and sucks money out of your pocket. I attended the "school" for seven years, and I was so happy to leave. The teachers are unqualified, students are materialistic and insensitive, and the work is uninspiring. What are unqualified teachers? When I attended, one of my teachers was still in the process of getting her teaching license. How was she able to teach at this "fine" establishment without a license? I also noted that most of the teachers where recent immigrants to the country, half of which weren't able to speak English. How can you expect to have "well-rounded kids" with only one language? Also, read the Frequently Asked Questions on their website. See how many of them are dodged, or unanswered completely. Read between the lines PARENTS, and choose not to send your children there.

Posted June 14, 2010

My daughter is finishing up 1st grade and after working really hard with her this whole year I see an enormous progress the kids are making. My kid is not a perfect example as she has a hard time behaving, however, is pretty bright girl and likes to be challenged. The kids are definitely kept busy throughout the year with extensive homework assignments and even though I was initially a big advocate of public education as I was educated in public schools myself I am happy to see a positive outcome of making a decision and putting my child in a private school. I read comments about the kids being materialistic and somewhat negative, I completely disagree as I never had any special requests from my daughter about clothes, shoes, backpacks or anything like that.

Posted May 21, 2010

Hi, I am Matthew and I have been attending Big Apple Academy for five years. In my opinion, this school is very educational. It is wonderful that most of the subjects in this school are taught at a higher level. Later on in life, it will be easier in high school because we already went over many high school topics. This school taught me to become more social to other kids. I now have friends, best friends, and even get along with teachers. What I definitely love about this school is that it makes me feel at home. From what I saw in public schools, this school brings a home environment. I love that and many other people do to. There are very kind teachers, classroom teachers and kids. I would recommend this school to anyone.

Two or more races 1% N/A
Asian 0% N/A
Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander N/A 6%
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 0% N/A
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Teacher resources

Foreign languages spoken by school staff Russian
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
  • None - the school offers no services

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

School start time
  • 8:00 am
School end time
  • 5:00 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school: ends at 5:00 p.m.
  • Vlad Gorny
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 3 years old
  • Coed
Special schedule
  • Extended/longer school day
  • Year-round
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation
  • Nonsectarian
Fax number
  • (718) 333-1311

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Accelerated credit learning
  • Classical (e.g., focuses on the "classics")
  • Core knowledge
  • Direct instruction
  • Gifted / high performing
  • Individually guided instruction
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Mathematics
  • Science
  • Technology
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Computer animation
  • Graphics
  • Technical design and production

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Art club

School culture

Dress Code
  • Dress code
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights