Brooklyn, NY

Posted April 08, 2014
School for International Studies: In my experience, there are teachers that want to see the students succeed, develop and grow. Unfortunately, Administration, in their infinite wisdom, puts their energy into wildly reaching disciplinary measures and personal vendettas instead of considering how such behaviors can and will adversely effect the student's well-being and future. Dismissive, patronizing, condescending, and coercive are other terms that come to mind. Before sending your child to Sch. for International Studies, do your research. Maybe your child will flourish. I'm sure some do. If your child steps in the wrong direction for any reason, my recommendation is, learn the rules. The rules your child is obligated to follow, as well as the rules the schools is supposed to follow. It is truly a two way street, and everyone can be held accountable.

Posted May 11, 2011
I am so confident in SIS that all four of my children attend from 6th to the high school. My children were mediocre students up until they attended SIS. All are Honor roll and National Honor Society but my youngest. She is still getting grades in the 90's with one in the 70's.My oldest went from being a special needs student, for stuttering, to an honor roll student and National Junior Honor Society. She is being inducted to the National Honor Society. My girls have been all encouraged and taught by wonderful caring teachers, supportive guidance counselors, and a great principal. The support staff is great. The office, medical office and cafeteria staff always have a smile and time to accommodate your needs. The teachers work hard during their own free time to assist any student who asks for help. Before school, after school and during their free periods the teachers go above and beyond everyday. Mr Fred Walsh is the principal and very involved with the students. His goal every year is to learn all the students names. He greets the students in the mornings by name. I believe the school is great.

Posted May 10, 2011
I disagree with the other parent. This has been a great school for my daughter. Through this school and their activities and challenging curriculum she has grown to be a hard-working, exceptional student. I wholly recommend this school.

Posted May 10, 2011
I totally Agree with the current parent's posting: As I find this Middle and High School to be an outstanding academic institution for our children's future. The teachers are all highly qualified professionals in their field and thereby our children are the beneficiary. Each teacher, guidance counselor, staff member and the Phenomenal principal are graduating talented and well prepared individuals for the future. My child is college bound and I thank the leadership and teachers for preparing her for the challenges of college life. She's not only academically prepared but emotionally and mentally too. Thanks SIS!!!

Posted April 18, 2011
I only gave this school one star based upon the fact that the principal is engaged and will make time to speak with you if there's a problem, but I wholeheartedly agree with the other parent almost EXACTLY. There is no follow up. There is no respect, discipline and a severe lack of safety even though there are many safety officers. Be VERY, very careful before letting your child go here. I also pulled my child out for exactly the same reasons and I find it more than coincidental that I had the exact same experience as the other parent poster. They may have had an excellent cooking program at one time, and they may be trying educationally, but they still have a really long way to go. Not to mention safety is a big concern. Just take the time to come after school, you will see "groups" of students hanging around as well as police cars always there. I dont feel comfortable if there's ALWAYS a need for police presence. Sad, because if the school was anything like they purport they are or could be, it would be a great school. Unfortunately, that is not the case.

Posted December 18, 2009

School For International Studies 2

Posted June 12, 2009
Be careful about choosing this school. I am a parent and I am transferring my child out because I didnt get the response I expected or that was needed. The principal does engage himself and will make himself available if you have a problem, but, in my case, there was no follow up, which is why I chose to transfer my child out, to a school where there is more discipline, respect, and safety. Expectations for student achievement, while stated high, is really not, and I have waited way too long for a resolution, without a positive result. So, just be careful, go view a few times before you make the decision, because it is a long commitment to make and it may not be the environment that is right for your child.

Posted March 19, 2009

Posted January 03, 2008

Posted October 02, 2007

School For International Studies
284 Baltic Street, Brooklyn, NY  11201
Last modified School For International Studies is a Public school that serves grades 6-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.
School For International Studies Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 13 reviews. Top