Brooklyn, NY

Is 392 4

Posted September 02, 2014
My school is great. I am currently in the 8th grade. Very challenging and teachers dont mess around. I have fun tho so thats good.

Posted October 28, 2013
My son graduated 2 years ago, and was successful in getting into his 1st choice for high schools. I have to commend and give high praises to the guidance counselor, her advice and knowledge on the high school admission process was outstanding. She was also instrumental in giving me guidance even after my son graduated. She is a HUGE asset to the school.

Posted August 21, 2013
This is an excellent school. They have a strict and diverse curriculum and expect the best out their students. They focus on the arts, sports and other after school activities as well as academics. My son was struggling with writing and time management prior to him attending I.S. 392 and I have seen a significant improvement since he's been attending I.S. 392. Progress reports are distributed often and in my opinion, this helps the students, parents and teachers ensure that our children's academic needs are being met. There is A LOT of homework and projects. Sometimes, it gets frustrating for both my son and I, but I know it will be worth it in the long run. There are disciplinary problems that need to be addressed, but I feel this is probably the case with most pre-teens and teenagers and would occur in the majority of middle schools. Also, the location of the school is not the best. I would still recommend this school to any child who can pass the exam and interview process. I have never been turned away at the door, no matter what time of day it was.

Is 392 4

Posted June 25, 2013
IS 392's issues aren't due to poor administration, but rather budget cuts imposed throughout the city. The school is introducing bullying awareness and respect for all. The teachers are constantly doing more with less, but they are also under a lot of pressure to prepare a large roster of students for constantly changing state exams, while keeping them motivated in a Gifted and Talented environment. Plain and simple, the school is amazing, yet understaffed. Many teachers have more than their fair share of students to educate and care for, especially the language department which only has 1 teacher for all the students. There are long wait times to see a teacher during PTC (1-3:30pm & 5:30-8pm usually stay for both). Though it highlights parental involvement, its just very stressful for all involved when they are understaffed. In any event, the teachers are EXCELLENT, they don't rush you out, answer questions, return e-mails, and so on. They also have an Art and Dance program, a daily physical education program and an enforced uniform policy. IS 392 is a great Gifted & Talented School, where my son will embark on his final year and my daughter will begin her journey in the Fall.

Is 392 3

Posted January 22, 2013
This school has great potential but needs an overhaul on faculty members. The academic program is geared towards preparing the students to pass state exams. However, the teachers show a great deal of favoritism and discipline is handed out according to your name and not your infraction. There are 1 or 2 teachers that the students tend to lean on for support and guidance and they should be acknowledged. But the vast majority (upper mgmt.) leave a lot to be desired. Can not wait until my child graduates. It was not a good experience and fell short of my high expectations. An overhaul in administration would do this school some justice. On the brighter side, I did feel my child was in a safe environment. I just wish the administration was more fair and and less bigoted, it would have been a happier experience for my child and her peers. I wish I would have read the reviews prior to applying instead of relying on opinions given by faculty and faculty friends. Yeah, this experience was like jumping through hoops of fire alright! P.S. school safety officers deserve the medals here. Don't be fooled by the school's appearance or staff, do your homework.

Posted December 19, 2012
I am very much pleased with the school on a whole. My child is a 6th grade student and so far I love everything about the school. The teachers are on point, the administration all the way down to the public safety officers. Thru the magic of the internet and edline the teachers basically give you play by play of the childs development in each class. The staff is very dedicated to molding schalors. Jump through hoops of fire to get your child enrolled in this school.

Is 392 2

Posted August 01, 2011
Bullying and Racism is alive and well among some of the student body. Some teachers at the school are amazing, others not so. Favoritism is very much shown, and the students are rude and arrogant. The work is basic and the school obtains a strong principal. Overall, nothing to go insane over. Not a very good school. Mainly focuses on test prep. Also, the teachers are a little to playful.

Is 392 1

Posted May 18, 2011
As a past student this school is not all it is cracked up to be.. there is a lot of favoritism going on, and this causes a lot of conflict among other students. These students feel they can do what they want and they do get away with it... bullying is alive and kicking.

Is 392 3

Posted March 26, 2011
I am a student at this school. The work is hard but the school is overall pretty good. My teachers are pretty hard on homework and in math my teacher is very fast but we are ahead. We do learn a lot and when kids come back from high school and they visit the teachers, most of them say, "you know, the work is hard in high school but, I'm used to it because of what was drilled into me for 3 or 4 years" when we do our work and stay on top we are rewarded greatly for it and when we don't do our work, we are constantly reminded of the requirements and our parents get involved and such. But the school is great except for the fact of the feud between us and Marcus Garvey. One of my classmates got jumped and it wasn't a good look. Overall, the school is pretty great. You have to study hard and don't forget about your work!

Is 392 1

Posted February 16, 2011
I am a former student at 392 What everyone doesnt not say was the on going war with marcus garvey.wen i was in seventh grade my friend was assaulted at the bus stop the school is horrible.

Is 392
104 Sutter Avenue, Brooklyn, NY  11212
Last modified Is 392 is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Is 392 Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 26 reviews. Top