Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Just right (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Effective (1 response)

Is 392
Amount of homework: Just right

Posted November 11, 2015
The amount of homework giving at this school is just about right. It can be challenging at times, but I don't shy away from that, and I don't let my child shy away from that either.

Is 392 3

Posted November 11, 2015
This is my son's second year at this school. The school has very high expectations for their students, which I like. However, I don't believe that the teachers encourage their students enough to do well. If your child is not doing well, the blame seem to always be put on the child and the parent. In my opinion, if a child is struggling on a particular subject, I believe the teacher should either let the parent be aware of that, or encourage the student by giving them extra help. None of this exists unless the parent becomes heavily involved, which may be hard for some working parents. Please pay attention to what is going on in that school. There's a lot of favoritism between the teachers and students. Parents need to be fully involved with their child's education in this school, otherwise, your child can easily get lost. However, if your child is already well organized and independent, and require very little encouragement, then that child will succeed and I wish them all the best.

Is 392 1

Posted August 30, 2015
I.s 392 let my daughter down by setting a high standard like she was not good enough she took the tests for i.s.392 and they claimed that she did not pass the entrance test but I did not let me see her score and I have the right to see those scores but 392 plays Game with these children my daughter took a test for another school and she past it and the letter the sent to me said that they had so many people apply to the school.and could not take my daughter this school is sad and the principal does not tell the truth. Now my daughter happy with her school and I am happy for her.

Posted July 09, 2015
I.S.392 is an excellent school with a demanding academic program for those students who want to achieve a successful career. The school accommodates about 310 students, and offers a variety of opportunities for students to participate in. Students are encourage to get involved in sports and walk-a-thon events. In addition, the school organizes yearly trips to foreign countries, which students look forward to with great expectation and enthusiasm. The staff at I.S.392 is very friendly and makes one feel comfortable and appreciated. At some time during the school year, parents are invited to visit live classes to get a first-hand view on how their children are being taught. I.S.392, a school for the gifted and talented truly lives up to its name. The assignments are tough, but it helps the students to remain focus on what's important to them. Overall, I.S.392 is an excellent school with a strong academic program with a dedicated staff who envision the success of all their students. I highly recommend it without any reservation.

Posted July 02, 2015
My daughter just graduated June 2015 and her attending I.S. 392 was truly an unexpected blessing. Four years prior to submitting her application my son attended I.S. 383 Philippa Schuyler School for the Gifted and Talented and I had more negative experiences with that school than positive; don't get me wrong the school was OK at that moment in time when my son attended, but based off that experience with my son I had a far better understanding of the kind of school environment I did not want for my daughter. At I.S. 392 my husband and I found the right school environment we were searching for our daughter. From the moment you walk into the school building you are greeted by NYC's #1 school safety officers who are dedicated, firm when they need to be, nurturing and extremely attentive to all the children (as they know so many by name). Being known by name and not an ID number is a definite component of the ideal school environment I envision for my children. I.S. 392 is a small school with a couple hundred students that shares 2 floors of the clean and vibrant school building with an elementary school (***kudos to the janitorial staff***). The school administration and staff are dedicated and nurturing with strong and supportive leadership from the school’s principal Ms. Joseph. The academic standards and uniform policies are highly enforced; academics can be closely monitored by parents through an online resource (pupilpath.skedula.com) that is frequently updated with grades (homework, classwork, project, quiz, test) and frequent communications from the school administration and teachers. I.S. 392 also offers MANY afterschool opportunities and even free summer programs for their students; as a parent who was unable to afford dance (ballet, tap, modern, African, hip-hop), photography, African drumming, vocal, theatre, violin…it was truly a blessing for my daughter to attend this school.

Is 392 2

Posted March 05, 2015
This school is not what it's cracked up to be. The teacher's show great favoritism and belittle the kids. They talk to them as though they are one of their friends by talking down to them. The teachers talk slang to the kids, they have conversations on their personal cellphones while being in class with their students. A lot of these situations go undetected because some teacher's are also shown favoritism by the principal. They want to enforce rules but don't follow through. They send home notices that parent and student need to sign but yet it's not fully enforced all across the board. I'm glad this is my child's last year, but for a gifted and talented school it has gotten a really bad reputation due to the respect the teacher's show the children.

Is 392 4

Posted September 02, 2014
My school is great. I am currently in the 8th grade. Very challenging and teachers dont mess around. I have fun tho so thats good.

Posted October 28, 2013
My son graduated 2 years ago, and was successful in getting into his 1st choice for high schools. I have to commend and give high praises to the guidance counselor, her advice and knowledge on the high school admission process was outstanding. She was also instrumental in giving me guidance even after my son graduated. She is a HUGE asset to the school.

Posted August 21, 2013
This is an excellent school. They have a strict and diverse curriculum and expect the best out their students. They focus on the arts, sports and other after school activities as well as academics. My son was struggling with writing and time management prior to him attending I.S. 392 and I have seen a significant improvement since he's been attending I.S. 392. Progress reports are distributed often and in my opinion, this helps the students, parents and teachers ensure that our children's academic needs are being met. There is A LOT of homework and projects. Sometimes, it gets frustrating for both my son and I, but I know it will be worth it in the long run. There are disciplinary problems that need to be addressed, but I feel this is probably the case with most pre-teens and teenagers and would occur in the majority of middle schools. Also, the location of the school is not the best. I would still recommend this school to any child who can pass the exam and interview process. I have never been turned away at the door, no matter what time of day it was.

Is 392 4

Posted June 25, 2013
IS 392's issues aren't due to poor administration, but rather budget cuts imposed throughout the city. The school is introducing bullying awareness and respect for all. The teachers are constantly doing more with less, but they are also under a lot of pressure to prepare a large roster of students for constantly changing state exams, while keeping them motivated in a Gifted and Talented environment. Plain and simple, the school is amazing, yet understaffed. Many teachers have more than their fair share of students to educate and care for, especially the language department which only has 1 teacher for all the students. There are long wait times to see a teacher during PTC (1-3:30pm & 5:30-8pm usually stay for both). Though it highlights parental involvement, its just very stressful for all involved when they are understaffed. In any event, the teachers are EXCELLENT, they don't rush you out, answer questions, return e-mails, and so on. They also have an Art and Dance program, a daily physical education program and an enforced uniform policy. IS 392 is a great Gifted & Talented School, where my son will embark on his final year and my daughter will begin her journey in the Fall.

Is 392
104 Sutter Avenue, Brooklyn, NY  11212
Last modified Is 392 is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Is 392 Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 46 reviews. Top