Posted March 20, 2013
As a former student now finishing up my freshman year of college I just wanted to emphasize what an important role The Sterling School played in helping me to get to middle school and then college. I started at Sterling in 2nd grade and could not read at all. Within a couple of months I was reading at grade level and by the end of the year I was reading above grade level. My severe ADHD required that I be in a small class and receive individual attention, with excellent teachers who could keep me on track and help with my behavioral issues. All this I received at the Sterling School.

Posted February 22, 2013
After many failed years in Public School, as a parent I was lost, confused and most of all worried for my sons future. I went on a search to find my son a school that could meet his needs. I spoke with Mrs. Arberman the director and teacher at The Sterling School, she had a 1hr conversation with me and offered to review my sons IEP and Evaluations and also gave me a few helpful numbers to call. Within 12 days from speaking with Mrs. Arberman, I had a new representative and my son was placed in The Sterling School. My sons reading, writing have progressed and most of all his enthusiasm for learning has returned with his self-esteem, confidence and a better understanding of his learning difference. I cannot express enough how Mrs. Arberman and the teachers have changed my sons life and ours forever and returned our hopefulness people who really care. We will be very sad to leave this coming June 2013 as my son graduates. I have never meet a more kind, caring, loving and patient teachers who are always available to discuss any concerns you might have and they go above and beyond. The Sterling School is a great place true Gem in Brooklyn.

Posted February 22, 2013
since my grandson attends this school, I see a very big difference in his attitude towards school. He is so proud of his acomplishments.

Posted February 13, 2013
We went on a tour of The Sterling School and were so impressed with the compassion, knowledge and forthright communication the school provided regarding children with language based learning challenges and how the school works. It is obvious the Sterling School works with each child to help them reach their full potential. Further, when I called for some follow up information more generally and regarding the schools programs, the Director was extremely helpful and knowledgeable and available. I was very much impressed with this school.

Posted June 26, 2012
Just as special as our children with dyslexia are, so is The Sterling School at meeting their needs and teaching them to read! There is no better feeling then to be able to hear your child read for the first time. Being able to read is not an option or want, it is a NEED for all children to be successful, productive citizens within society. The Sterling School continually and consistently was able to adequately meet the needs of my child, showing steady progress in my daughter's learning, and advancing my daughter's reading ability three grade levels in the three years (2009-2012) she attended Sterling. Mrs. Arberman is a genuinely dedicated educator, who is knowledgeable, tenacious, and an active participant in ensuring that children receive an appropriate education. The one on one reading instruction, coupled with the Orton Gillingham reading instruction allowed my daughter to become a child able to read. This small school in Brooklyn changed my daughter's life in so many positive ways, that going to school and learning, was no longer a losing battle, but rather a place she enjoyed to be and a fight she knew she could win!

Posted February 06, 2012
Don't be fooled by the residential appearance of this Brooklyn brownstone because inside these walls, real learning takes place! The day I arrived for my tour, there were excited students surrounding their very dynamite Director, Ruth Arberman, as she handed out their finished pottery. There was no movie, no handouts, no glitz, but the interactions that I witnessed between the teachers and students said it all! Our daughter, who has dyslexia, learning disabilities and ADHD was helped tremendously by this school, which offers one to one teaching in Reading and Math as well as very small classes, all taught in a multi sensory method. I cried when I heard our daughter read her first book in just a short time! Her teachers are very committed in assessing just what stage she is at, meeting her there and moving her forward with many creative approaches. Ruth Arberman and her teaching staff are very dedicated to their students. Ruth attended all our IEP meetings and with her expertise and vast knowledge in Education, fought for what our daughter needed to succeed. There is outdoor exercise every day and the school trips are great! Strong ethics along with warmth abound!

Posted September 12, 2006
Ms. Arberman, the Director of The Sterling School is a little dynamo! She is very well informed in special education, personable, and insightful into the needs of her students. The school offered an intimate, non-intimidating environment for my dyslexic 4th grader. He was reading well, confident, and able to adjust back into a standard classroom setting after graduating from The Sterling School two years later. The school continued to provide support long after my son had left. During the time that my son attended (2001-2003), the school was just starting out and did not provide very much in the way of physical education or extra-curricular activities; which was a downfall but, minor in compariosn the the education my son received. Perhaps that has changed now. It is a very special place!

Posted June 26, 2005
I found that this school was able to meet the needs of my son who is dyslexic, the teachers and principal together work to help make learning not fearful. They help to bring out the potential in all the students.

The Sterling School