Posted March 03, 2014
My daughter attended Mary McDowell Friends School for five years from 4th Grade though 8th Grade. A leading Park Slope Public School she attended was unable to teach her how to read, write and spell and her self-esteem hit rock bottom. She has dyslexia and processing issues. It was a blessing and the best decision we could ever have made for her education to place her in MMFS. MMFS and its teachers/staff excel in providing the most DEDICATED, WARM, NURTURING, PATIENT, CARING, TRAINED PROFESSIONALS and a SUPPORTIVE LEARNING ENVIRONMENT. They have a unique way of teaching the students about their learning differences and provide them with tools to succeed despite their learning differences. For high school, my daughter was able to move on to a more traditional program and is excelling thanks to the strategies and tools provided by MMFS.

Posted August 29, 2013
Could there be a more compassionate school? Not in my experience! We switched our son to MMFS in 5th grade (he is now at their HS) & wished we had done it sooner. While he was managing at a wonderful private main stream school with the support of tutors, his self-esteem had plummeted due to his frustrations from the gap between what he knew and the challenge of adequately expressing his knowledge. MMFS helps kids to understand & cope with their challenges, but always emphasizes the multiple ways of being successful (either in terms of improving in weak areas, or demonstrating strengths, or the uncountable ways that one can contribute to society that has nothing to do with academic performance). This school has helped my son to re-gain a sense of pride in himself and helped our family to re-center ourselves in a more holistic way (which has transferred over to the way we parent our non-LD child). We feel very lucky to have found this amazing place!

Posted December 09, 2012
I concur with the other parents who have written reviews. This school is life-changing. The teachers are dedicated in an only-in-movies kind of way. My son has grown as a learner, citizen, and person in just a few short years. The Friends philosophy emphasizing community, service, peace, etc. enriches the curriculum to support an education that produces thoughtful, kind individuals who feel a sense of belonging and responsibility.

Posted January 19, 2012
This is a life-changing institution, where your child will be truly seen, empowered, educated. It is a place of possibility and joy and kindness. Thanks to MMFS, my son understands what he needs in order to learn, finally realizes he is smart, and is actually is looking forward to high school and college.

Posted June 27, 2011
Thank you Mary McDowell School. My son, who just graduated a week ago from a private high school in Manhattan, was previously a Mary McDowell School student for 5 years. The teachers at Mary McDowell were very attentive and nurturing and helped my son immensely. He was diagnosed with a language based learning disability and struggled in his previous school before attending Mary McDowell. The faculty here taught him how to work with his disability, how to work independently and most of all boosted his overall self confidence. He was eventually able to move on to a regular prep school in the city (where he graduated with honors) and in the fall he will be attending an excellent four year college in the northeast. I have nothing but praise for the faculty at Mary McDowell who helped lay the groundwork for my sons success.

Posted June 25, 2011
My daughter has been going to the Mary Mcdowell Friend School for the past two years. The staff here is excellent! My daughter has a language based learning disability and has improved in all her subjects since starting at Mary McDowell, especially her reading. Her self esteem has also been given a boost as she previously felt "out of place" in her mainstream elementary school. This school has many students that eventually go on to be successful in mainstream schools and even end up at excellent colleges! Thanks to the teachers and staff at Mary McDowell I am confident that my daughter is on the same path. Thank you!

Posted January 14, 2010
My son attended the Mary McDowell School for 6 years. He is now attending a Private High School in Manhattan and is a very good student. I must tell you his success in his present school is largely due to the incredibly supportive environment that Mary McDowell's staff provided him. He was taught how to be a diligent, effective student, and above all, to work with his learning disabilities. Their primary goal is to teach every student that they can be successful inspite of any learning disability. There is no other school like MMCL. I highly recommend it to any parent looking for a warm, nuturing, caring environment for their child to learn.

Mary McDowell Friends School 3

Posted January 11, 2010

Mary McDowell Friends School 1

Posted August 30, 2008

Posted December 01, 2007
I have ben going to MMCL for 5 years! i have learned so much in math, reading, spanish, scince, curent events and alot more.

Mary McDowell Friends School
20 Bergen Street, Brooklyn, NY  11201
Last modified Mary McDowell Friends School is a Private school that serves grades 6-10
Mary McDowell Friends School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 12 reviews. Top