Brooklyn, NY
School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

Thank you for your interest in Bay Ridge Prep, an independent, K-12, college preparatory school. Please visit bayridgeprep.org to learn more about our school or call the Admissions Office at 718-833-9090 x305 to speak with us or schedule a visit. If you have feedback about Bay Ridge Prep - whether it's how great of an experience you've had with us or how we can make your experience greater - we encourage you to share it with us and contribute to the growth of our school. In addition to websites such as greatschools.org, we welcome your comments by e-mail, telephone, or in person. You can e-mail Anthony Hazell at ahazell@bayridgeprep.org with your feedback or to schedule a conversation or visit with the Head of School or another school leader. Thanks again for your interest in Bay Ridge Prep!
May 7, 2013

Posted June 02, 2014
To the parent who posted about their son being one of this year's graduates: I completely know what you mean. My daughter is in this year's graduating class. I cried through most of the graduation. Seeing these children grow into mature young adults and realizing how much work went into that from their teachers and the administration made me value this school so much more. My only wish was that I found this website much earlier so that I could have left a good review a while ago.

Posted April 30, 2014
My son is graduating in just a few weeks from Bay Ridge Prep. I just had a conversation with him tonight about what he wants do over the next few months since it's his last summer here before going away to college. His response: "Right now, I just want to take in every last minute of high school." Granted, I was a bit surprised since most kids can't wait to graduate. So I started asking him what he'll miss most about school. That turned into about 45 minutes of stories about his experiences with his classmates, the friends he made, his teachers who he believes are "probably the coolest teachers you can ever have" and all the interesting little facts he learned along the way. It really struck me how confidently he spoke about his school experience. I couldn't help but smile and tear up just a little bit. He is truly a well-rounded young man and I have Bay Ridge Prep to thank for that.

Posted March 12, 2014
I have worked at Bay Ridge Prep for many years in the middle school as a math and reading teacher. I also worked in the lower school. My twin boys attended the school from kindergarten to third grade. Sadly, we had to move for my husband's job to Long Island. Bay Ridge Prep is an amazing community of teachers, psychologists, and directors who take the time to know each student. Every child is looked after, worried about, celebrated, and worked with to achieve academic and social emotional goals. The teachers make learning exciting while building important math and reading skills. Bay Ridge Prep offers myriad activities to excite every child - art, drama, sports, karate, chess, building, science, etc. When my boys went to public school, they were more than prepared. I miss the intelligence of the teachers and administrators, and the great feeling that permeates the corridors and classrooms. Thank you Bay Ridge Prep for giving us so many wonderful, productive, and sweet years. We miss you terribly!

Posted January 13, 2014
I am a proud alum of BRP and can't imagine being where I am today without all the support, guidance and preparation I received when I was a student there. I started in the middle school, went to the high school and graduated 2 years ago. At first I was hesitant about continuing for high school because I was attracted by the idea of going to a bigger school and having that high school experience you see on TV and in movies. THANK GOD that I stayed at BRP (and I guess thank my parents for pushing me to stay.. and footing the bill!) I was able to take 2 college level courses while in high school. I'm midway through college now and it's because of BRP offering those courses that I feel comfortable in a college class and was able to tackle college-level work without any hesitation from my first day as a freshman in college. If I could do it all over again, I honestly don't think I would change a thing.

Posted January 01, 2014
My son has been at Bay Ridge Prep for 6 years. The teachers realized he is advanced in math and have worked to set up a program for him that capitalizes on this. At the lower school level, he is also pleased by the after-school offerings, including karate, track, and basketball. The lower school director often spends her lunch in recess time with the students, pitching for wiffle ball. The kids are well supervised and given many opportunities for enrichment (like chess, which is offered during the school day). I really like the conversations that are fostered, such as developing strategies for when you are frustrated and how to get yourself into the best place for learning. These are real life skills that he ll take with him into the world some day. In the meantime, I m so happy that I enrolled my child in this rich environment. For a small school, their theatre and music department is top notch!

Posted December 22, 2013
My daughter has been in the school since Kindergarten, and has progressed through all three divisions. She is an accelerated student, and the school has done a great job of keeping her motivated, interested and challenged. She has a nice peer group that have grown up together and continue to support one another. Over the years, I have found the quality of the faculty to be high; dedicated, hard-working professionals. Another plus is that the administration has an open door policy, so any time I ve had feedback to share, they have been appreciative and receptive to it. I m happy to be a member of this close-knit community. If you are looking for a school where your child is genuinely excited about their studies and are surrounded by mature role models, look no further.

Bay Ridge Preparatory School 1

Posted November 08, 2013
Good school for kids with special needs or mental disabilities, but otherwise poorly ran, very low expectations and total chaos that staff would turn their back on or even secretly encourage and get involved with. Watch out before investing in the upper school unless your child has serious special needs and needs an easier high school experience work wise.

Bay Ridge Preparatory School 4

Posted October 25, 2013
I have been a student at the Bay Ridge Prep middle school for a long time .Bay Ridge Prep has a nice atmosphere the teachers are very friendly. However, some of the teachers can be ineffective when they are dealing with disagreements between students and at times, favor kids .Like all schools, there is some disagreement between students. The times when a teacher is involved, there is very little done to resolve the argument. Some students don't even tell a teacher when they are having a problem with another student because it will be of no use. I agree with them. There is a lot of favoring done by the teachers. It may be because some of the students have relatives or parents working there. Most of the teachers are very nice and have sacrificed a lot to help make the student comfortable. I rated Bay Ridge Prep as favoriteble mainly because of my friends and 60% that are very nice. Without the students and those teachers my review would be a lot different. --Submitted by a student

Bay Ridge Preparatory School 2

Posted March 24, 2013
I am a former teacher who worked at BRP, and by the end, I was happy to get out. The other reviewers who claim the faculty and administration plays favorites is absolutely correct. In fact, the majority of the staff/admin are related or have been friends since high school or something, all of them kind of weirdly devoted to the old guy who heads the high school. There's a big emphasis on the "psychology" they use to shape and direct the school, but their tendency to allow bullying and favoritism completely undermines their stated mission. They are also blinded by jargon and technology (which I recall few people using effectively). Inappropriate social contact between favorite students and faculty/staff is also a problem, in my opinion, with things like the LS/MS PE "teacher" promoting his band among the students, selling things and giving inappropriate hugs to adolescent girls. (He's also related in several ways to the people who run the school.) This might be a great school for some kids, but for the most part, I was very disappointed with the difference between their stated ideals and the slanted, prejudiced way kids were treated.

Bay Ridge Preparatory School 2

Posted September 06, 2012
This is a school for children who need to be held by the hand to get by. Little is expected of them as far as homework or completing ones work, rules are written but rarely followed. Hardly an acceptable environment to prepare one for the workload of high school.

Bay Ridge Preparatory School
8101 Ridge Blvd. / 7420 4th Ave, Brooklyn, NY  11209
Last modified Bay Ridge Preparatory School is a Private school that serves grades K-12
Bay Ridge Preparatory School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 37 reviews. Top