Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Staff member (1 response)

New Voices School Of Academic And Creative Arts
Grateful to: Staff member

Posted October 18, 2015
The parent/teacher coordinator is the best way for parents to talk to the school. She is the most reliable source for information.

New Voices School Of Academic And Creative Arts 2

Posted October 18, 2015
My child was in this school, and it was not challenging. The school focuses on teaching to the Common Core test starting day one. Unfortunately the teachers and administration are in the predicament of having to follow this path in order to keep jobs. It is a bad recipe for the kids. The kids are taught in a punitive environment - learning to fear rather than love school. The technology is hit or miss -- some teachers use it, others do not. Parent communication also is spotty -- the parent/teacher coordinator is phenomenal. The teacher/parent communication is difficult. One communication I sent to the guidance counselor with concern for my child was never returned. Ultimately we left for another school and see a night/day difference in the level of education.

Posted May 19, 2015
I'm going to this school right now and I'm currently in 7th grade. Im a theater major and we are well known around the school. This school is fun and educational at the same time. Mr.k the math teacher is awesome and has a unique way of teach. It's not easy following along,but he goes back and explains. Mrs.man is one of the sweetest/strickest teachers! She's very nice and has cool lessons. To understand even more, mrs. Man has videos and little comic book types of things involving our unit. That makes things clearer. Mr.G, he's the principal of our school, but he's also my science teacher. (We're the only class he teaches) he's funny. his lessons are the bomb,but he's also very stricked. After a hard unit he sometimes throughs in a song about the topic we are studding. Mrs. Direnzo, she's my elective teacher. She's really funny and sweet and knows how to get the point clear. She doesn't give a lot of homework, but does require us to look over our scripts(we write it) and monologues. She also plays theater games, which helps us with our pantomime, improv and other acting skills. If ur planning to go or send your child to this school, don't hesitate. It's a great school.

Posted September 02, 2014
I graduated from this school last year, and I could not have had a better experience. Ms. Pignantaro was strict, but a very good teacher. She took student's opinion into account, and always respected our views, as well as giving her own. Class with her always felt like a discussion between equals. Mr. Kahn was just awesome. Some people thought he yelled too much, but honestly people complain too much. We would chill in his room at lunch, and he was a great teacher in class as well as just a fun person. Mr. B liked to talk about music with me and a couple of other guys, and it was cool that we shared tastes. He also got the material to us in a interesting way. The teachers here could not have been better, and Mr. G is a great guy. Any new 6th graders looking at this, you will love this school! Quite possibly the best junior high in New York.

New Voices School Of Academic And Creative Arts 3

Posted August 27, 2014
It all seemed fine until I complained about a math teacher who was speaking to my child in an inappropriate many. It all went downhill from then. My daughter was relentless bullied. When I complained to the principal, he did little to stop it. When I complained to the parent advocate, it was swept under the table. Complaining to the DOE also did little. When the principal found out I made a complaint about him, he made sure my child's time at New Voices would be miserable. At the end of the day, Mr. Giordano is a bully who is more concerned with his reputation being tarnished that the welfare of the children he is charged to protect.

Posted April 23, 2014
You will never find another school like New Voices. It looks like every other school on the outside, but on the inside, it's something special. It doesn't always look pretty, but it's the people inside that count. The administration care about students and make sure they're going in the right direction. Students have a wider outlook on school, since there is arts involved in the schedule. I'm graduating this year, and I wish it continued into high school grades. It breaks my heart to leave a place where people genuinely care about me. This school is not something you should overlook. It is truly a place that will be in my heart for my whole life. I love New Voices.

Posted May 07, 2013
Let me start by saying, I have two daughters @ this school, 8th and 6th grades. We are all very happy. From the Parent Coordinator to the Principal, everyone is top notch! The front office staff is so wonderfully friendly that every time I call or visit, I feel like hugging them. One person is so incredibly kind that she MUST be the favorite in the building. Thus far, our in classroom experiences have been fantastic and my daughters are thriving. The performances are simply wonderful. It's a win-win.

Posted September 29, 2012
The school has an established curriculum, yet it seems to renew itself every year with bright ideas. The atmosphere here is uplifting. Teachers, students, and the administration seem very happy to be a part of New Voices.

New Voices School Of Academic And Creative Arts 1

Posted June 20, 2012
I am a teacher with 28 years in the classroom, and I will tell you right now: this is a very mediocre school. It has a few teachers who make an effort to inspire their students, but there are many teachers who are either cruel, incompetent or both. The principal seems like a great guy, but he is only "great" until you disagree with him, or point out some flaws in what he thinks is a shiny school. The homework load was very light - in three years, my son never did more than 20 - 30 minutes of homework a night. This can be seen as a good thing because there are many "pile-on" schools which give hours of meaningless busy work to do at home. I was constantly shocked at how complacent the principal, Mr. G, was in the face of obvious issues with the school. When my son stated that the gym teacher did not organize any activities and let the kids sit around and play on their cellphones, Mr. G did nothing to get the teacher to actually start doing his job. I know it seems minor to complain about physical education, but it is now known that physical activity is good for the brain. Mr. G's lack of action on this matter was reflective of his ineptitude.

Posted September 20, 2011
New Voices is a great school!!! Mr. G. is a top notch administrator. I have not been at a school meeting or event where he wasn't actively involved. My daughter is in the 8th grade and says often "I love my school". The academics are challenging, however the teachers are there to help the kids in any way possible. More than that they expose them to outside venues to enhance their overall education.

New Voices School Of Academic And Creative Arts
330 18th Street, Brooklyn, NY  11215
Last modified New Voices School Of Academic And Creative Arts is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.