Brooklyn, NY

Posted September 11, 2012
I am the individual that wrote the review on April 10, 2009. At that time i was not pleased with the academic strength of the school because the previous principal was focusing too much on the arts, but since he has left ,the new principal Ms. Jackson and assistant principal Mr. Kahn, have raised the academic standard so that our children are better equipped to compete when they leave PS 66. At this point and time i can feel comfortable to endorse this school because the current leaders realize although dance classes are good, although Art classes are good, it is the academics that will almost guarantee our children a chance of success in this life. When can i say about Mr. Baker the school parent coordinator, he is the best PC that i have come across. Most importantly , although Ms Jackson may not agree with some points that the parent make, she always makes her self available to listen to what parents have to say. I think that both and Mr. Kahn and Ms. Jackson are honestly trying their best. The 7 out of 10 is an equitable assessment.

Posted April 26, 2012
My child attends PS 66 and I am extremely satisfied with the school community and curriculum in the lower grades. The school is clean, safe, and has a family feel. The staff is present and available to parents. The parent coordinator is active and encourages participation in school activities and positive events in and around the community. I receive at least one email from him daily about upcoming events, scholarships, and an array of other happenings that can benefit students and families. They have recently proposed a scholars program, which is great being that this school was initially intended to be a gifted and talented school. I have yet to witness or hear of a school fight or any adverse events at PS 66. My child has excelled in piano, and this is the only exposure she's had. Parent teacher night is always filled with parents which shows interest from the community about the children's progress. I would recommend this school to any parent, and I am very particular about where my child attends. The transition coming private school to public school has been easy when dealing with such a great staff. Keep up the great work!

Posted May 31, 2011
My Grandson is in first grade and I am so pleased with his development, he is intelligent, analytical, curious and has such a zest for learning. It is evident that there is a solid foundation being built for him by his teacher, I could never ask for anything more.

Posted April 11, 2011
The school is a safe haven for the kids. I like the uniform, its .great! My son discovered music and caught on real fast. Thank goodness Ms. Walker the piano teacher.

Posted September 07, 2010
My son is about to enter the 1st grade and I honestly think that his kindergarten year was phenonomal. He learned so much and the teacher really meet him where he was at. His reading is at least 1.5 grade level above and his math skills are at a 2 grade level. The school is very clean and everyone knows the children by name so it feels even safer. I look foward to 1st grade!!!

Posted April 29, 2010
My grandson is in kindergarten and I am so pleased with his academic and social development, the environment is clean, warm and nuturing. I have no regrets choosing PS 66 over a private school

Posted September 04, 2009
School seems well funded. I believe they have two computer rooms, dance room and is located away from housing complexs. Seems like a great atmosphere for students.

Posted June 10, 2009
P.S. 66 creates a safe and welcoming environment for children to learn. The administration works hard to help each child set goals and provide means of achievement. The school is well rounded and supported by a diverse curriculum in the arts. The teachers at P.S. 66 are well educated and trained the latest programs. Professionalism is the standard at this school. The faculty goes above and beyond to involve parents in education as it is the key to the success of each child.

Posted April 30, 2009
Very perceptive. I also was fooled initially because the school is very clean. My major complaint with the school is academically it is sub standard. I initially thought because of the principal's experience with the gifted programs that the school would be academically challenging - wrong! I removed my daughter because of the poor academic environment. It seems strange but I got the feeling that the schools has a dummy down curricula on purpose. This school has the potential to be much better. Discipline here is better than most. Finding a school in the area that is disciplined, respects parents as well as children and is academically challenging does not exist. Lack of parent involvement is the root cause of bad schools. I am now at my final alternative - private school. Parent

Posted April 10, 2009
At first I was impressed with principal rebenfelds credentials and his affiliation with the gifted school program. I thought that he would have applied the same gifted program principles at P.S. 66. I was totally misled. At first glance the school building is well kept, it is a clean school. That s what fooled me. After having my children there for a while I realized that he focused more on the arts than academics. Academically the school does not measure up to what the 21st century demands. Disciple wise the school needs help. There are fights in classrooms, and the lunchroom is totally out of control. Looking back at what I wanted for my children at ps. 66 I am totally disappointed, and have started my research on charter schools

845 East 96th Street, Brooklyn, NY  11236
Last modified Ps 66 is a Public school that serves grades PK-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Ps 66 Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 16 reviews. Top