No rating

Windmill Montessori School

Private | PK-8 | 222 students

Living in Brooklyn

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $420,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,260.

Posted Thursday, September 25, 2014

My son is in first grade, and has attended since PreK3. We love the small, homey environment, the loving teachers, the kind and respectful environment. It doesn't have a lot of fancy bells and whistles and does't need them. My son is challenged and respected and loves going to school.

Posted June 23, 2014

A relatively small school with great knack for developing the educational / social / emotional potential of all its students. The teachers are superb and very accessible, on all levels (I have had 2 children in Stepping Stones, one in the Montessori level 3-6 y/o, and one who just graduated Upper School into Senior School, going into 7th grade). A lot of emphasis is placed on independent learning, at the children's own pace, with the teachers keeping tabs and guiding children through this process. Kids really like the school, too. The parent community is both diverse and close.

Posted December 13, 2013

I am so happy we found this wonderful school. It seems that every minute of my (first grader) child's day is used productively and she is excited to go to school. I am astounded by how much she is learning and her teacher appears adept at presenting her with the appropriate challenges at the appropriate time. The children are also taught how to be decent human beings which is important to me. Although she scored in the highest G&T percentile, I now appreciate that she is with a mix of ages and abilities. For us at least, the Montessori model works well (at least if you have great teachers, which we do). It certainly doesn't have the luxuries of other private schools but we are not paying the prices of other private schools. In later years, I feel we may need a bigger school but for now my child is in a safe and kind, but challenging environment. A wonderful introduction to the world of education.

Posted November 14, 2013

My son attened this school for almost a year, we moved and and had to change schools. The diretcor Ms. Liza is great, so were the stepping stone teachers Ms. Angela and Ms.Roseanne. They really worked welcomed our son with open arms and made him feel at home. He loved his teahcers so much that when he was moved to the bigger class M2 he woudl ask to go to his old classroom with Ms. Angela and Ms. Roseanne.

Posted November 9, 2012

My child started pre school this year. I put him into their summer program first so that he would adjust by September. This school is a gem. The staff is absolutely wonderful and attentive. I stumbled upon this school when i was stressed about putting my child into a public school. This school is amazing!

Posted September 17, 2012

My child has been accepted to a gifted and talented program and I have transferred him to a public school only to put him back to Montessori some time later. The problem was not adjusting, he was able to get used to a different setting very quickly. I was unhappy with the teachers and felt that the program compensated for the lack of personalized attention with a huge amount of homework. I was doing most of the teaching! Montessori, on the other hand, makes provides opportunity for children to thrive and want to do well. Teachers are very responsive to parents complaints and wishes. Your child is not one of many to them, there is no anxiety and fear of teachers, respect to individual needs and attention to social skills, absent in public schools. I highly recommend this school.

Posted December 15, 2011

I love this school and i tell everyone i know who has kids how proud I'm to have my son attending this amazing place, its worth every penny ! Everyone is so sweet & caring, i know because my son is sweet too & fits right in. He loves his new teachers & tells me everyday all the new things he learned that day. It breaks my heart to think that he could have had this experience sooner if only I knew about this wonderful place. Last year he attended yeshiva & didn't learn half as much (in the full year) as he learned in this school in just few months of being here. He really blossomed. The classrooms are full of hands on discoveries & very well structured (don't believe bad reviews) My only regret is that I didn't find this diamond in the rough & send him here sooner. I highly recommend it to all parents, My son is in good hands :)

Posted September 17, 2011

All the children that are involved with this program are respectable, very smart, independent well behaved individuals. I simply love this program because it teaches children hands on learning without the involvement of repetitive traditional learning tools usually used in Pre,nursery & daycare schools. The school actually teaches the children with hands on learning instead of the usual "activities" used to keep children busy until they get to go home. It's true children learn through play, although using tools that are a part of daily life is one the main reasons children become influenced in expanding their minds. Denying access to products we use every day just causes children to become more upset due to limitations we place on them. Yes, it's a given that a lot of things we use children cannot have access to. Though there are many very simple tools we use every day they can be introduced to them that are not recognized. These tools do get used in the Montessori teachings which promotes a variety of successful progresses in children's future education.

Posted May 13, 2011

Family atmosphere. My child is very happy here and loves to go to his school. Here is a great atmosphere for social development. I am not so sure about academic achievements. Sometimes my child (he is in grade 3) has no clue how to do his math homework. The Montessori teaching method is not as structured as the traditional one, in my opinion. A child should be ready to discipline and motivate her/himself, and take responsibility, which might be a problem for an eight-year-old student. The Director, Ms. Liza, is very knowledgeable and experienced. The best of the best is Ms. Jillian Passantino, who is teaching 1-2-3 grades. I fully trust her with my child. She is truly caring and responsible. She is a great professional. Children love and adore Ms. Jillian. Overall, it is a school of a good quality. Children are safe there. Just make sure the Montessori method is likely to work for your child. If yes, he/she is in good hands.

Posted May 10, 2011

great education. my child is doing multiplication and division in pre-k and reading at middle of 1st grade level. and he is by no means an only one. i toured some public schools nearby... windmill wins hands down. if you can afford it, its really not even a question.

Posted February 25, 2010

Wonderful, safe environment.. I have 2 children in the school. Wonderful teachers who really care and pay attention to the kids.

Posted February 1, 2010

Do not believe any negative reviews about this school, other than the occasional normal complaint. I have two children at this school - both of whom went through three other schools, including the best Yeshiva's and private schools in Brooklyn. This school has a devoted, caring staff of teachers who keep me apprised of my childrens' every progress and regress. My kids LOVE going to school every day. Can you imagine? This school deserves many accolades. If there was one complaint it would be that the school does not offer anything in the way of financial aid or scholarship. This type of learning environment should be available to everyone, but I am sure the cost is prohibitive for most. Otherwise, this is a 5-star school in every way.

Posted September 9, 2009

I was with Windmill Montessori for 10 years.. It was definetly a great school to be with and it was a very close knit family orientated school. The children recieve a wonderful education and the teachers are very dedicated. I definelty rate this school very highly
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted July 4, 2009

Our experience with Windmill have been a positive one. Although the school is small and 'low-tech', the children do develop a close-knit bond and sense of purpose to the world. The children's teachers are very receptive to our concerns and our children love going to school. We have always felt that the directors of the school are open, professional and courteous to both the parents and the children. They nurture a safe and respectful environment.

Posted May 3, 2009

Too small! very unprofessional staff, though well intentioned

Posted March 7, 2009

I love this school.My teachers are so kind and nice.

Posted January 9, 2009

I was a graduate of Windmill Montessori School in 2008 and I am now attending the best high school in all of brooklyn. I was a student from Windmill from kindergarden through 8th grade. My sister graduated from this school 4 years ago. My family has been part of the Windmill community for 12 years. I love my teachers and the directors of this school. Every day, I looked forward to going to school because it was filled with exciting lessons, music, art, french, computer studies, and week-long trips. These trips gave me a detailed understanding of American History. Now, in high school I am continuing my studies in french because I enjoyed it so much at Windmill Montessori School. Because of my seventh and eighth grade teachers, I was accepted in math and science honors, at my high school. I feel very lucky to have had this experience.
—Submitted by a student

Posted January 5, 2009

I have known the directors and teachers at Windmill for a number of years. They are the most caring and dedicated people I have ever met. The children absolutely thrive in this school. At times, when children have problems, parents are in denial and then blame the school and don't take responsibility for their child's actions. The directors and teachers work as a team to solve a problem that might arise with a child - whether it be an academic or behavioral problem. When I had a problem with one of my children at home, they were able to give me valuable suggestions that I took to heart and they worked to put my child back on the right track.

Posted January 5, 2009

I have been a parent of Windmill's for the past 8 years and love the school. I now have 3 children attending. The staff is so caring, loving and nurturing. They are very approachable, available and fully devoted to their students. My children are learning in a wonderful, friendly and safe environment. Windmill is a true gem. Highly recommend to all parents.

Posted August 7, 2008

I worked for Windmill Montessori for many years. I would still be there if I did not have to relocate. The staff was amazing! They are intelligent, kind and nurturing individuals. The directors and the administrative staff were supportive of the teachers and the students. The students were greated each day with a smile and kind words. Not only did I work there, my children also attended the school. The students were wonderful, friendly and enjoyed learning. They learned independence and great study habits. The children were also creative and inquistive. I highly recommend this school.
—Submitted by a teacher

Asian 6% N/A
Two or more races 2% N/A
Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander N/A 6%
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 0% N/A
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Liza H. Herzberg
  • Coed
Affiliation
  • Non-Denominational
Associations
  • AMS

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Montessori

• Computer lab
  • Library

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

1317 Avenue T