Brooklyn, NY

Posted September 25, 2014
My son is in first grade, and has attended since PreK3. We love the small, homey environment, the loving teachers, the kind and respectful environment. It doesn't have a lot of fancy bells and whistles and does't need them. My son is challenged and respected and loves going to school.

Posted June 23, 2014
A relatively small school with great knack for developing the educational / social / emotional potential of all its students. The teachers are superb and very accessible, on all levels (I have had 2 children in Stepping Stones, one in the Montessori level 3-6 y/o, and one who just graduated Upper School into Senior School, going into 7th grade). A lot of emphasis is placed on independent learning, at the children's own pace, with the teachers keeping tabs and guiding children through this process. Kids really like the school, too. The parent community is both diverse and close.

Posted December 13, 2013
I am so happy we found this wonderful school. It seems that every minute of my (first grader) child's day is used productively and she is excited to go to school. I am astounded by how much she is learning and her teacher appears adept at presenting her with the appropriate challenges at the appropriate time. The children are also taught how to be decent human beings which is important to me. Although she scored in the highest G&T percentile, I now appreciate that she is with a mix of ages and abilities. For us at least, the Montessori model works well (at least if you have great teachers, which we do). It certainly doesn't have the luxuries of other private schools but we are not paying the prices of other private schools. In later years, I feel we may need a bigger school but for now my child is in a safe and kind, but challenging environment. A wonderful introduction to the world of education.

Posted November 14, 2013
My son attened this school for almost a year, we moved and and had to change schools. The diretcor Ms. Liza is great, so were the stepping stone teachers Ms. Angela and Ms.Roseanne. They really worked welcomed our son with open arms and made him feel at home. He loved his teahcers so much that when he was moved to the bigger class M2 he woudl ask to go to his old classroom with Ms. Angela and Ms. Roseanne.

Posted November 09, 2012
My child started pre school this year. I put him into their summer program first so that he would adjust by September. This school is a gem. The staff is absolutely wonderful and attentive. I stumbled upon this school when i was stressed about putting my child into a public school. This school is amazing!

Posted September 17, 2012
My child has been accepted to a gifted and talented program and I have transferred him to a public school only to put him back to Montessori some time later. The problem was not adjusting, he was able to get used to a different setting very quickly. I was unhappy with the teachers and felt that the program compensated for the lack of personalized attention with a huge amount of homework. I was doing most of the teaching! Montessori, on the other hand, makes provides opportunity for children to thrive and want to do well. Teachers are very responsive to parents complaints and wishes. Your child is not one of many to them, there is no anxiety and fear of teachers, respect to individual needs and attention to social skills, absent in public schools. I highly recommend this school.

Posted December 15, 2011
I love this school and i tell everyone i know who has kids how proud I'm to have my son attending this amazing place, its worth every penny ! Everyone is so sweet & caring, i know because my son is sweet too & fits right in. He loves his new teachers & tells me everyday all the new things he learned that day. It breaks my heart to think that he could have had this experience sooner if only I knew about this wonderful place. Last year he attended yeshiva & didn't learn half as much (in the full year) as he learned in this school in just few months of being here. He really blossomed. The classrooms are full of hands on discoveries & very well structured (don't believe bad reviews) My only regret is that I didn't find this diamond in the rough & send him here sooner. I highly recommend it to all parents, My son is in good hands :)

Posted September 17, 2011
All the children that are involved with this program are respectable, very smart, independent well behaved individuals. I simply love this program because it teaches children hands on learning without the involvement of repetitive traditional learning tools usually used in Pre,nursery & daycare schools. The school actually teaches the children with hands on learning instead of the usual "activities" used to keep children busy until they get to go home. It's true children learn through play, although using tools that are a part of daily life is one the main reasons children become influenced in expanding their minds. Denying access to products we use every day just causes children to become more upset due to limitations we place on them. Yes, it's a given that a lot of things we use children cannot have access to. Though there are many very simple tools we use every day they can be introduced to them that are not recognized. These tools do get used in the Montessori teachings which promotes a variety of successful progresses in children's future education.

Posted May 13, 2011
Family atmosphere. My child is very happy here and loves to go to his school. Here is a great atmosphere for social development. I am not so sure about academic achievements. Sometimes my child (he is in grade 3) has no clue how to do his math homework. The Montessori teaching method is not as structured as the traditional one, in my opinion. A child should be ready to discipline and motivate her/himself, and take responsibility, which might be a problem for an eight-year-old student. The Director, Ms. Liza, is very knowledgeable and experienced. The best of the best is Ms. Jillian Passantino, who is teaching 1-2-3 grades. I fully trust her with my child. She is truly caring and responsible. She is a great professional. Children love and adore Ms. Jillian. Overall, it is a school of a good quality. Children are safe there. Just make sure the Montessori method is likely to work for your child. If yes, he/she is in good hands.

Posted May 10, 2011
great education. my child is doing multiplication and division in pre-k and reading at middle of 1st grade level. and he is by no means an only one. i toured some public schools nearby... windmill wins hands down. if you can afford it, its really not even a question.

Windmill Montessori School
1317 Avenue T, Brooklyn, NY  11229
Last modified Windmill Montessori School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8
Windmill Montessori School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 25 reviews. Top