Hellenic Classical Charter School

Charter | K-8 | 401 students

Sweep tile

Posted December 17, 2013

HCCS is a great school, and has been a wonderful experience for my daughter. The staff and faculty are amazing! The principal is an exceptional leader, and she has the support of a talented, smart group in her administration. My daughter thrived there, and I can't thank you all enough. My only problem is, we're now so spoiled, because you've set a really high standard!!!!

Posted September 8, 2012

Looking forward to another great year at HCCS! My son's in 5th grade and actually looks forward to school. The staff and teacher's are caring & talented and the fact that they learn to speak and write Greek in addition to everything else makes it that much better. And uniforms are a big plus too! (Tho they do love the 'dress down days'!) This year's construction will pose some challenges but I'm sure they'll deal with it the best they can and in the end it'll be totally worth it.

Posted September 7, 2012

HCCS is more than a school it is a family. The principal is GREAT, she is someone whom is understanding and caring. She is wonderful to her staff and and respects her students. I have always been welcomed by her whenever I visit the school. She returns phone calls, e mail making her accessible if needed. She has led HCCS in a path of success and I am proud that my son decided to finish his middle school years with HCCS. The office staff is also great, Ms. Joyce, Ms. Joy and Ms. Natasha , just to name a few are awesome, but they to are also caring and responsive to any situation presented. I have never had an issue with the staff and I wish them continued success in the operating of such a wonderful school. Teachers at at HCCS are very involved with their students, they help prepare students for important tests and promote learning and academics at what I believe higher than normal standard. The only disadvantage to HCCS is that they are not a high school. I wish the entire HCCS a great and successful school year. I will see you all soon again. Shelly

Posted December 13, 2011

Overall I Love this school. There's no other school in NY where the principal/staff member stand infront of theschool everyday to greet the kids/parents. Mrs M and Ms Kathy are amazing at their job. The class sizes are very small so your child gets the one on one help that they deserve. The curriculum is very challenging, lots of homework, but I wouldn't change it for world. However, I would love to see the overall math/reading scores increase and the prinicpal Mrs Tettonis has implemented programs to get that issue addressed, from hiring more teachers to a more vigorous math and reading program. However, she can't accomplish this goal without the help from parents. Keep up the great work HCCS:)

Posted December 12, 2011

I have worked in some of our local schools and I must tell you that HCCS is one of the most wonderful places to come to everyday!!! I travel pretty far every morning to get my kids to school on time and weather I"m having a good or bad day,there is nothing like receiving a warm smile and hug every morning from the staff at hccs who by the way are outside everyday!!!!RAIN OR SHINE!!! I feel so lucky everyday that my kids get to be around such caring and devoted Teachers &Staff...I'm soo honored to call HCCS... My kids home away from home!!!!

Posted December 5, 2011

The leadership at the school is great. From the top down there is a message of whats best for the students. There is a multicultural student body that is respected by the faculty and developing in the teacher body. I would like to see a larger reflection in leadership development being taught i.e.; business and politics. All in all I am very happy that my children attend H.C.C.S. Keep up the great work.

Posted November 13, 2011

Great school - unbelievably hardworking staff. Nice, approachable administration always willing to listen. Young, energetic teachers and every child learns Greek! And it goes through 8th grade! (lunch food quality needs major improvement but that could be system wide...)

Posted November 11, 2011

My child and I have been with the school for almost 2 years. Our kindergarten teacher Mrs. Franco did an awesome job. She doesn't just come to do a job, she gets involved with the children individually making the children feel comfortable and confident. And I just love her. Also staff is very hands on, principal Mrs. Tettonis, asst.principal Ms. Natasha security guard Ms. Michelle, the office, and joy petrakos are what every school needs. My child is now in first grade and the teachers this year are doing great thank you Ms. Rose and Ms. P and thank you Mr. S for being a good gym teacher.

Posted September 21, 2011

I LOVE THIS SCHOOL! I have two children currently attending HCCS. I consider myself lucky for getting the opportunity for my children to attend here. The teachers are remarkable and work very hard with these kids to get them where they need to be. The whole school works together to achieve one goal and that is priceless. The staff here goes above and beyond!

Posted June 29, 2011

HCCS is a great school, the staff is amazing, the principle is very professional, appochable, very caring. The guidance counselor is very patient, trustworthy and friendly. My child is attending HCCS, he started not long ago, he had a rough time adjusting at first, fortunately with the help of the teachers, guidance counselor and the principal, his progress is remarkable. he is more discipline and responsible. I would recommend HCCS to any parents who are searching a good and reliable school for their little ones. Thank you to all HCCS staff, we appreciate your good work.

Posted May 26, 2011

I LOVE this school. I must take my hat off to all of the teachers and the adminstration. They are firm but dedicated to the children and the school. I absolutley love the principal of this school, she is out there working with the staff and greeting the parents. Nothing is perfect but this is a GREAT school.

Posted January 8, 2011

Great School! We have had our children in HCCS for 5 years. We are very happy. There is strong leadership in the school and respect. The children go on lots of educational trips. They are well prepared for the state exams. We couldn't ask for anything more. Thank you to all the hard working people at HCCS.

Posted October 5, 2010

I'm a graduate from HCCS and I could honestly say that this school was a second home for me. Every morning I would wake up and be excited to go to school. In HCCS you don't only get a great education but also a second family away from home. I didn't only make friends that will last a life time but also a great faculty that has inspired me and will always be there for me.

Posted January 7, 2010

A+++ Couldn't ask for a better school for my son. Not only does he get a great academic and social environment, he is also learning Greek from an exceptional staff. The teachers are caring and Mrs. Tettonis is wonderful, probably the best and hard working principal I have ever seen. Don't understand why more Greek families are not sending their kids there. There is a lottery involved, but it is well worth the shot!!! Your child will be getting a FREE public school education and a second language. We are so thankful!!

Posted November 6, 2009

Best school in Brooklyn. I am a hard working parent who drops off my child each morning to a warm welcome by Principal Tettonis. The school is academically strong and a second home to my child. It offers more than you could ever imagine. We love Ms. Joy who is the joy of the school and loves the children like they are hers. She makes sure the children are safe after school and buckled in on the bus. In general all the teachers, vice principal, counselor, pta are incredible. We love HCCS!

Posted October 24, 2009

Terrific school and devoted, hardworking staff. It does challenge academically but they're always there to help. The amount of homework is appropriate to what they teach. Kids simply learn a lot more than we did growing up and this school has a great approach.

Posted October 15, 2009

HCCS is a wonderful school. I am very fortunate to have my children there. Not only are they learning a second language, Greek, once they get to middle school they will learn a third, Latin! Additionally, they have chess on Fridays, have a wonderful art program and take amazing educational trips. In a nutshell, HCCS is a great school, with a great administration, faculty and staff. They are some of the hardest working people I ve met and make everything look so easy.

Posted October 3, 2009

Love this school, teachers and principal are exceptional. My daughter loves attending HCCS

Posted April 7, 2009

Last year when I found out that my son had been picked in the lottery drawing I almost had a heart attack! I was so happy... my son would be going to a good school, he would learn Greek and Latin and he would be getting a 'private school' education for free. It sounded so good. Then he started school. And that's when all the problems started. My son is in Kindergarten and gets more homework then I got in high school. He get a math worksheet, social studies worksheet, science worksheet, writing his sight words in his notebook, an activity packet AND 6 spelling words he has to study every night because the give 5 year olds spelling test! The only reason I gave 2 stars is because the staff is nice. I'm currently looking for another school for my child. It will NOT be a charter school.

Posted November 21, 2008

HCCS is a secret treasure in Brooklyn that many are not aware of. If you want a private school education at no charge with a diversity that represents Brooklyn, then Hellenic Classical Charter School is your choice. My two children were struggling in our neighborhood public school and I found a treasure in HCCS when I changed their school. My children's school performance is exceptional, they love learning and enjoy learning the Greek language and culture.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 31% in 2013.

51 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 34% in 2013.

51 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

Beginning in the 2012-2013 school year, the New York State Department of Instruction implemented new assessments designed to be aligned with the Common Core State Standards. The new standards for proficiency in these subjects are higher than in previous years and the percent of students earning a proficient score is expected to be lower as a result of this change. See this letter from New York's Commissioner of Education for more information on these changes.

In 2012-2013 New York used the New York State Assessments to test students in grades 3 through 8 in English language arts and math. The tests are standards-based, which means they measure how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of New York. The goal is for 90% of students to meet or exceed grade-level standards on the tests.

The state average for English Language Arts was 30% in 2013.

46 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 36% in 2013.

46 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 88% in 2011.

50 students were tested at this school in 2011.

The state average for English Language Arts was 30% in 2013.

52 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 30% in 2013.

52 students were tested at this school in 2013.

The state average for English Language Arts was 30% in 2013.

50 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 31% in 2013.

50 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 31% in 2013.

49 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 28% in 2013.

49 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 34% in 2013.

25 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 27% in 2013.

25 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 69% in 2011.

22 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Source: New York State Education Department

In 2009-2010, this school was given a grade of "C" for the elementary and middle school level.

Progress Report Grades measure the school's contribution to student learning in three areas: School Environment, Student Performance and Student Progress. Schools can receive additional credit for achieving exemplary performance progress among high-needs students. Progress Report Grades range from A to F.

Source: New York City Department of Education

Master's degree and above 7%N/A39%

Teacher credentials

Teachers with no valid teaching certificate 0%N/A0%
Source: NYSED, 2011-2012
The NYC Department of Education asked parents, teachers and students about their school's learning environment. Results provide insight into school climate, such as whether the school is academically rigorous, safe, communicative and collaborative. Learn more

The information captured by the survey is designed to support a dialogue among all members of the school community about how to make the school a better place to learn. An overall category score is calculated for each respondent group (parents, teachers, or students) by averaging the scores of the questions within that survey category.

Category scores for each of the respondent groups are then combined to form overall category scores. Alongside the results for each school are the aggregated results across all NYC public schools, which are provided as a basis for comparisons.

Learn more about the NYC DOE survey »Close
Based on 418 responses

This school provides ... 1

A safe and respectful environmentWhat's this?

This score measures whether parents, students and teachers feel that the school creates a physically and emotionally secure environment in which everyone can focus on student learning.

8.4

7.9

7.2

8.7

8.0

Clear, useful communication about educational goalsWhat's this?

This score measures whether parents, students and teachers feel that the school provides information about the school's educational goals and offers appropriate feedback on each student's learning outcome.

8.9

8.5

8.4

7.8

Strong parent, teacher and student engagementWhat's this?

This score measures how engaged parents, students and teachers feel they are in an active and vibrant partnership to promote student learning.

8.8

7.2

9.0

7.8

High academic expectations for all studentsWhat's this?

This score measures how well parents, students and teachers feel that the school develops rigorous and meaningful academic goals that encourage students to do their best.

8.9

• MS. CHRISTINA TETTONIS
Fax number
  • (718) 499-0959

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

Apply now