Public charter
Brooklyn, NY

Develops honesty: Disagree

Posted June 21, 2015
The teachers and adults in this school do not speak to the students fairly. They have that, well I'm the adult and you do what I say mentality. There's a way to speak to kids without disrespecting them or undermining them. I was once waiting to pick up my child a heard a teacher speak about a student in her class to another teacher while I was there. She spoke so badly about this kid and Said thing that shouldn't have been said. You're not even supposed to discuss your kids to others, and here she was doing it. Horrible!

Teacher effectiveness: Somewhat effective

Posted June 01, 2015
sometimes. in stead of encouraging, i think they discourage alot of the times. they should make students feel comfortable and this isn't the case.

Amount of homework: Too much

Posted June 01, 2015
kids do receive ALOT of homework. Which is ok at times. But sometimes it's pointless. for example, spelling words. they receive spelling words EVERY week and get tested once a week with those words. But there are some weeks the teacher does not test them for whatever reason,. if you know you aren't going to test, then don't stress them with extra work. Just skip the words for the week or give them an extra week with the same words.

Develops grit: Neutral

Posted June 01, 2015
Sometimes. Because at times my child did not receive the help he/she needed. and at times my child was embarassed t during class.

Develops empathy: Disagree

Posted June 01, 2015
RARELY! If the teacher is good/nice the Para is mean and horrible. There is always something with this school. I think some of the teachers and or paras need new training, especially on how to deal and speak to children. They shouldn't be spoken to in a certain way just because they are children. They are still people and should be respected. I could count the teachers in this school that do this.

Hellenic Classical Charter School 4

Posted January 06, 2015
An amazing school with a supportive, nurturting and academically excellent environment. Your child will not get lost. Sometimes rigorous but they do a tremendous job prepping the children and building their stamina at the right pace. We have three children in the school - one who is in the Universal full-day Pre-K and we couldn't be happier with it. The Pre-K experience has been amazing for our child. Everyone in the staff has been wonderful.

Posted November 19, 2014
HCCS is an amazing school! I currently have three children attending this school and I couldn't be happier. The school board, administration and faculty are very hard working and dedicated people. Their energy and dedication to the school is unbelievable. The teachers and support staff work tirelessly to help the students achieve their goals. The school continually ranks above the city and state on NYS test scores.

Posted October 07, 2014
I love the involvement with the teachers and the principals with my daughter and the educational opportunities that are offered like learning Greek. My daughter wish they when to the 12 grade.

Posted April 21, 2014
On kindergarten children are writing at college level.With a lot of reading,writing and math homework, students build their stamina in early grade. Also,I learn to speak Greek with my two children from Hccs,isn't that great! Ms Tetronis, the principal, is very warm and open. Besides you can't miss Ms Joy smile and kindness. The staff is great. It's feel like each of them is family member. No child leave the Building without Miss Michelle attention. She knows each of them by their names associates with the parent' s face. Do not need to worry about safety.My children love to go to school.one suggestion is that the school needs to do more work to help students stay positive about themselves .

Posted April 20, 2014
HCCS is the best school! I graduated from HCCS and went to one of the best HS. I wish HCCS had a HS so I would not leave! That is how much I love this school. If you want to learn and agree to work hard then you should consider HCCS as your school. The teachers are so much fun and love all their students. Mrs. Tettonis is always doing things for the students to make them happy and to allow them to have a voice. We would go on trips for free, our field day was so much fun and our senior trip was the best! Thank you to HCCS for giving me lots of memories and allowing me to be myself. And if you miss your mom during the day, you always have Ms. Joy, Ms. Natasha and Ms. Etimos to go too. Miss them and all the fun times and talks. HCCS # 1 School!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

646 5th Avenue, Brooklyn, NY  11215
Last modified Hellenic Classical Charter School is a Charter school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Hellenic Classical Charter School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 34 reviews. Top