Bad
Good

This is a great school if you're looking for a place for your student to thrive academically. However, the school needs MAJOR improvement. A long school day does get the most out of kids academically, but it also gets the most out of their energy. Every day, my child comes home at 4:15 pm with little or no energy. On top of that, he has a heap of homework to complete, and is unable to eat dinner, finish his homework on time, shower, and make sure he's ready for school the next day before 11:30 pm. If he goes to sleep at 11:30, he is unable to wake up on time in the morning for 6:30 am in order to be at school at 7:30 am. The 9 hour school day is not only tiring because of its length, but dreadful because of the strict behavioral policy, in which students get no voice and only become frustrated and upset with their teachers. In my opinion, this school breaks students down more than it builds them up for future success.

My son has gone to this school since kindergarten and is now in the 4th grade and I am still very pleased with his educational experience there. The leadership is strong and the environment is safe and welcoming. The teachers and staff do a lot to include parents every step of the way and are very supportive. The curriculum is very rigorous and most of the teachers work very well with the kids. I only have one complaint which is that they give the kids afterschool detention as a form of discipline when they've misbehaved. I feel like they are too young for an hour and 15min. detention after school especially since their day is already so long (7:15-4:00). Besides that the school is great!

This school is very Academic Focused. The Scholars (students) constantly have "their face in a book", and I witnessed a "speed math drill" where teachers quiz students at random in the hall-totally amazing and helps keep the students skills sharp. I do think behavior wise the staff treats the students like robots, expecting 5, 6 and 7 year olds to "sit still", which is virtually impossible, and they also hav ea very long school day-doors open an 7:15 am. New Principal took over in January 2013, so far so good!

Loving this school! My daughter and I transfered from a chater school last year and we have nothing but great things to say about this school. They challenge their students, they're organized, and so much more. There are great things happening here.

I have a child in Kindergarten and he is doing very well academically. He is excelling in Math and reading, his teachers are wonderful and provide insight on the things I could do at home to help him. He is also in drama club and he loves it. Next semester, my other son will be entering Kindergarten at Achievement First and I have no regrets. Everyone is very pleasant to deal with!

My child is on her fifth year @ AFENY she started going to this school since it open, my daughter always have something to talk about when she come home from school so I change my son from poblic school were he was not doing well, and he reading and love going to school. When he does something bad I told him will send back to his old school and get back on track. I cold not have chosen a better school for my tree kids.

My child is a scholar at achievement first eny. I could not have chosen a better school. She is reading on a 3rd grade reading level and forget about math she loves it. The teachers make learning fun and exciting! the school is always having parent/scholars/teachers involvement workshops. If i had to say what is the thing i like the most about the school. I would have to say great communication i have with the staff. They let it be known never hesitate to call whenever you have concerns or questions they actually give you their personal phone numbers including the principal! that says alot to me. However even though the teachers play a big role in the scholars life you as a parent must do your part. I know i'm on the plc (parent leadership council) also known as parents in action! the school is great we love it! k.Carter

My child is apart of their 1st fourth grade class. My child has been enrolled since 1st grade and even though the teachers coma and go, the focus remains the same. They promote so much opportunities for the staff that there is not a doubt that they will promote the same ideaology in your children. They try to keep the students well rounded with promoting main focus in reading, math and writing. My child enjoys the teachers and I always see the change by the end of the year. I am a very happy PARENT!

The quality of the academic program is great. My son is in the first grade reading on a fourth grade reading level. His is also above average in math. The parent involvement is above average as well. We have a parent leadership meeting once a month. This is a great school.

Last modified Achievement First East New York Charter School is a Charter school that serves grades K-10. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.