Bad
Good

Exceptional curriculum, exceptional student and teacher commitment. The Brooklyn Latin School ensures all students are college ready.

I was part of the founding class for this school. After being accepted to Brooklyn Latin, I was incredibly frustrated that I could not get into Brooklyn Tech, Bronx Science, or Stuyvesant. However, reminiscing on how this school has changed me, I would not have had it any other way. I had stellar grades in middle school without any effort. I thought I could continue my habits and I ended up suffering for it. This school will challenge and teach you to develop habits that will become essential in maneuvering through your life. The three most important habits I have learned from this school, which still remains with me to this day, are critical thinking, clear/effective communication and excellence. You are not taught to memorize facts but to actually think. You are not taught to just sit in class, but to perform declamations (memorized speeches of classical texts) and seminars (annunciating your thoughts to a class with solid evidence). After discussing with other alumni, we have agreed that by the end of our experience, we were better thinkers, communicators and workers. This school has changed my life and I am very thankful to the teachers, administrators and life-long friends I have made. I am very proud to be a TBLS alumni.

Brooklyn Latin High School (TBLS) focus its curriculum in liberal arts and language. Students are required to take four years of Latin. Many of the classes include Seminar to encourage students to participate in classes and voice their opinions on a subject topics. In addition, the school also provide opportunity for students to take IB courses to obtain college credits. TBLS also offers many after school clubs for students to expand their interest in extracurricular activities.

You might think that Brooklyn Latin is not the best specialized high school since it accepts students at a lower score than any other specialized school that is applied to. However you are wrong; Brooklyn Latin is a great school fulled with friendly teachers, a safe environment, rigorous courses and clubs after school that might appeal to you. Throughout your years at the school, you would have chances to visit and stay at foreign places and different states for educational purposes or competitions in which you may compete. The curriculum is not that hard if you try and ask for help; visiting office hours will allow you to receive help from teachers as well a place to do your homework. If you personally do not like talking in front of large groups of people and going to this school would avoid that, then think again. This school has seminars: a class discussion on a question given along with the tedious and useful prep work you have to do. Also declamation, my favorite (Just kidding, it's not that bad), where you will recite a classical piece depending on the subject: in front of the class where you will be evaluated and graded on based on the rubric. I think that's it.............

If you want to go to this school because you think have perfect grades, good for you. However, DO NOT let those grades fool you. Middle school is very easy compared to Brooklyn Latin. If you get accepted here, come to school WELL PREPARED. Even if you think you are good at a subject.....STUDY ANYWAY!!!!!! And take into consideration the days of the week which your teachers have OFFICE HOURS. Make sure every single one of your binders are organized. WHY?? It makes it better to STUDY for your final exams, you will get a 100 for all of the BINDER CHECKS, and it just looks better. If you are not good at public speaking, work on that because you will be forced to speak publicly during declamation and socratic seminar. Don't think you can just waltz into the halls of Brooklyn Latin and get straight As without even trying. You need to apply great effort to all your classes. Don't rush through hw and don't overwhelm yourself with activities after school. Have at least 3 hours a day to complete hw and studying. Please don't overlook this life-changing advice I have given you. Use it to be THE perfect student in Brooklyn Latin. Because its just that simple: EFFORT, STUDYING, AND HOMEWORK.

I'm a freshman and so far I love it! A bunch of people talk about transferring because of all the work but they just can't handle it. 3 hours of homework a night is just fine if you ask me. I can't wait for my next 3 years as i'm looking forward to the fun and learning!

Im a freshmen and i already love it. They expect you to work hard but we do not have a long time to eat. 30 minutes for lunch but thats because our school is give 1 hour for lunch because we share a school and there are 2 groups for lunch. I love advisory and the advisory teacher. When i got in i was crying but now i know it was wrong to cry because its a good school. Its only been the 1st week of school but we get 3 hours of homework every single day. Expect some of your teachers to be strict and expect the others to be very nice. We do have uniforms but seniors cheat their way out of it. We get out pretty early for a school which is one thing im happy about. The distance of it from my house is a problem but i only live 15 minutes away. Many people want to transfer out because of all the hard work(not because its a bad school).

My daughter is a sophomore at Brooklyn Latin and loves her school. The teachers are dedicated and engage the students, and the principal has been a true visionary. The atmosphere is warm, yet serious. The work is rigorous, but teachers have office hours and there is ample help for anyone who needs it. It is also one of the few IB high schools in New York. I'm thrilled that we ended up at TBLS, it is truly an undiscovered gem.

Brooklyn Latin has exceeded my expectations. I never thought I would be as informed as I am. Everyone is helpful and most importantly my son loves the school.

My child has made the transition from being a smart kid with poor study habits to a good student. This is due to the great staff and culture at TBLS. TBLS is a great place for your student to reach his/her potential. I believe my student is prepared for college academics and any personal challenge that may arise.

Last modified Brooklyn Latin School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.