Brooklyn, NY

Brooklyn Latin School 4

Posted May 20, 2015
Brooklyn Latin High School (TBLS) focus its curriculum in liberal arts and language. Students are required to take four years of Latin. Many of the classes include Seminar to encourage students to participate in classes and voice their opinions on a subject topics. In addition, the school also provide opportunity for students to take IB courses to obtain college credits. TBLS also offers many after school clubs for students to expand their interest in extracurricular activities.

Posted March 23, 2015
You might think that Brooklyn Latin is not the best specialized high school since it accepts students at a lower score than any other specialized school that is applied to. However you are wrong; Brooklyn Latin is a great school fulled with friendly teachers, a safe environment, rigorous courses and clubs after school that might appeal to you. Throughout your years at the school, you would have chances to visit and stay at foreign places and different states for educational purposes or competitions in which you may compete. The curriculum is not that hard if you try and ask for help; visiting office hours will allow you to receive help from teachers as well a place to do your homework. If you personally do not like talking in front of large groups of people and going to this school would avoid that, then think again. This school has seminars: a class discussion on a question given along with the tedious and useful prep work you have to do. Also declamation, my favorite (Just kidding, it's not that bad), where you will recite a classical piece depending on the subject: in front of the class where you will be evaluated and graded on based on the rubric. I think that's it.............

Posted November 27, 2013
If you want to go to this school because you think have perfect grades, good for you. However, DO NOT let those grades fool you. Middle school is very easy compared to Brooklyn Latin. If you get accepted here, come to school WELL PREPARED. Even if you think you are good at a subject.....STUDY ANYWAY!!!!!! And take into consideration the days of the week which your teachers have OFFICE HOURS. Make sure every single one of your binders are organized. WHY?? It makes it better to STUDY for your final exams, you will get a 100 for all of the BINDER CHECKS, and it just looks better. If you are not good at public speaking, work on that because you will be forced to speak publicly during declamation and socratic seminar. Don't think you can just waltz into the halls of Brooklyn Latin and get straight As without even trying. You need to apply great effort to all your classes. Don't rush through hw and don't overwhelm yourself with activities after school. Have at least 3 hours a day to complete hw and studying. Please don't overlook this life-changing advice I have given you. Use it to be THE perfect student in Brooklyn Latin. Because its just that simple: EFFORT, STUDYING, AND HOMEWORK.

Posted September 23, 2013
I'm a freshman and so far I love it! A bunch of people talk about transferring because of all the work but they just can't handle it. 3 hours of homework a night is just fine if you ask me. I can't wait for my next 3 years as i'm looking forward to the fun and learning!

Posted September 14, 2013
Im a freshmen and i already love it. They expect you to work hard but we do not have a long time to eat. 30 minutes for lunch but thats because our school is give 1 hour for lunch because we share a school and there are 2 groups for lunch. I love advisory and the advisory teacher. When i got in i was crying but now i know it was wrong to cry because its a good school. Its only been the 1st week of school but we get 3 hours of homework every single day. Expect some of your teachers to be strict and expect the others to be very nice. We do have uniforms but seniors cheat their way out of it. We get out pretty early for a school which is one thing im happy about. The distance of it from my house is a problem but i only live 15 minutes away. Many people want to transfer out because of all the hard work(not because its a bad school).

Posted August 26, 2013
My daughter is a sophomore at Brooklyn Latin and loves her school. The teachers are dedicated and engage the students, and the principal has been a true visionary. The atmosphere is warm, yet serious. The work is rigorous, but teachers have office hours and there is ample help for anyone who needs it. It is also one of the few IB high schools in New York. I'm thrilled that we ended up at TBLS, it is truly an undiscovered gem.

Posted August 25, 2013
Brooklyn Latin has exceeded my expectations. I never thought I would be as informed as I am. Everyone is helpful and most importantly my son loves the school.

Posted August 23, 2013
My child has made the transition from being a smart kid with poor study habits to a good student. This is due to the great staff and culture at TBLS. TBLS is a great place for your student to reach his/her potential. I believe my student is prepared for college academics and any personal challenge that may arise.
2 people found this helpful

Posted August 23, 2013
Brooklyn Latin is a a superb school. The environment is child-centric, the teachers are excellent.

Posted August 23, 2013
Brooklyn Latin's holistic liberal arts curriculum and its emphasis on developing great study schools is providing an amazing foundation for lifelong learning! We hope that the new location will provide the students with many more extracurricular activities.

Brooklyn Latin School
223 Graham Avenue, Brooklyn, NY  11206
Last modified Brooklyn Latin School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Brooklyn Latin School Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 27 reviews. Top