Posted June 29, 2014
I really truly love the school and most of the teachers. I have had two children go to these schools. My son had a elementary teacher I didn't care for and a high school teacher that refused to call me back but beside those 2 incidences I have had no problems. I feel that if you are a concerned parent the teachers will work with you just as hard to keep your child in the direction of success. I knew my oldest child's friends parents but only know maybe few of my 2nd oldest friends parents. At conferences I do see similar faces so maybe I will know some more really soon.

Posted April 27, 2014
The only thing this school is excellent at is churning out cookie-cutter copies of WASP follower-mentality dribble. Gifted?! Pffft... Critical thinking and applied analyses? Look for teaching of such concepts elsewhere; they don't understand much less are they prepared to teach these here. Creativity? Nada! "Tests R Us" should be the name of this school. Sorely disappointed. If you're considering where to send your child to school, don't believe the hype - unless you're one of the sheep who doesn't mind following blindly. Heed the many warnings out there, reviews from many here included. Happy to be transferring ours away from here in June. There is too much riding on our youths' futures to allow it to be squandered by this administration.

Posted March 07, 2014
I couldnt as for a better elementary ragarding anything for my daughter. Im sad she will be leaving for middle school. Not one complaint

Posted January 31, 2014
Olmstead 64 is a wonderful school environment. The teachers are highly skilled and caring. The administrators are responsive to parents and dedicated to the students, and the parents are involved and engaged by the school. The school is impacted by some poor decision-making by the state and district when it comes to curriculum, testing, and class size. However, the teachers and administrators do their best to compensate for this. I have found that the teachers create an environment where students are kind to one another and accepting. Our child has gained independence, skills, and confidence, and walks into school each day with a smile!

Posted January 09, 2014
Very disappointed so far. This school relies on the social affluence of their students to keep their test scores high. Because Olmsted is where buffalo's affluent and middle class enroll ("Gifted"), it is also where senior teachers flock to before they retire. These dinosaurs do not teach, they follow a script and assign worksheets by the ream. Assessment is in the form of red marks telling you and your child how many they got wrong or how they behaved in class- it's always your child's problem. Creativity and interest in learning are crushed for the sake of compliance to this outdated model. Worst of all, the Principal is from the same era, and protects these teachers and this horrid curriculum; I think this is the real reason parents are not welcome inside the school. If your child is already capable or you have the time to teach at home, it's sadly remains one of the only options in Buffalo. If your child struggles or doesn't fit the mold, be prepared to fight- it's going to be your (and your child's) problem to solve.

Posted June 20, 2013
My son just finished his first year at this school. We were extremely pleased with everything. His teacher was amazing. We were very impressed with the parent involvement in the classroom/school. Wether by e-mail, written notes or phone calls, I was in contact with my son's teacher at least once a week. We were welcome into his classroom at any point throughout the school year. Looking forward to many more years at Olmsted.

Posted March 27, 2013
We have been disappointed by our experience at #64. We have also been blocked at the door by staff members, denied access to school to walk our 3-year old to her pre-K classroom, and disrespected by "gatekeepers" who roll their eyes when we ask to come in. It took three tries (over the course of a week) for us to teach her teacher how to spell our daughter's name. Notes home--from both the principal and the teacher--have been riddled with typos. I expected more from Buffalo's "gifted and talented elementary school." They have not lived up to the hype. We are happily transferring our daughter out of the school.

Frederick Olmsted 64 At 78 2

Posted November 11, 2012
Olmsted 64 was at the top of my list when enrolling my child last fall, as it is for many parents in the district. The school has a brand name, and like others, I was attracted by the school's strong academic record and reputation as the "best" in the district, as well as the school's dual language program. I want to offer a few words of caution. The current principal of the school has created an unwelcome environment for parents. It is an early childhood center with children as young as 3 years old, yet parents are not allowed to walk their children to their classroom in the morning. Parents have been told they are a security threat within the school, an inconvenience, and cause "unease" among students and staff when entering the building. Parents are asked to participate only when there is a fundraising event, or if they are needed as a chaperone for an off-site field trip. Parents are not welcome in their child's classroom, nor to say "hello" in the morning to their child's teacher. This was not the vision for parental involvement I imagined or expected. The school's "success" lies in demographics, not leadership, and I wish I had not chosen this school for my child.

Posted April 01, 2011
This school and Discovery are the only two reasons we still reside in the city. Our son tested for this school in kindergarten, and did pass the test, but we recived a letter saying it was at capacity and they would let us know if an opening came up. We were just getting ready to put our house on the market and a week later the letter came stating he could have a spot. The GT program is fantastic, and it really keeps my son interested. One of the last good schools left in Buffalo.

Frederick Olmsted 64 At 78 0

Posted September 16, 2009
This is a wonderful school, with excellent teachers, and fantastic cirriculum. My son loves being a student at Olmsted!

Frederick Olmsted 64 At 78
874 Amherst Street, Buffalo, NY  14216
Last modified Frederick Olmsted 64 At 78 is a Public school that serves grades PK-4. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Frederick Olmsted 64 At 78 Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 17 reviews. Top