Buffalo, NY

Posted February 15, 2009
We moved into this school district last year and what a great experience it has been! I have two sons in the school, and both, though very different, love the school and their teachers. For each new school year the current teacher places the child into the classroom with the teacher who will best match their personality and help them to grow. They take into account the parent concerns, and do everything they can to make sure next year will be a good experience for the children. There is a large amount of parental involvement, which helps the children to flourish overall. We had an issue with a 'bully' on the bus and within the day of my complaint, the other parents had been contacted, and the children had been counseled. No problems since! Parents are encouraged to volunteer in the classrooms during parties and other events. We love Forest Elem!

Forest Elementary School 4

Posted February 15, 2009
We love the teachers and the staff, and while they do a great job on scores and academics, they are lacking recess. The children need a break once in a while to 'shake their sillies out'! The teachers are under pressure to keep up the test scores to the point that they feel unable to let the kids be kids and to play from time to time.

Forest Elementary School 3

Posted September 17, 2008
I'm underwhelmed so far. Communication has been adequate. Safety seems good. They seem to have good organization and processes. Academically, they are on target for state standards. On the other hand, I'm disappointed in the lack of a consistent recess policy, the lunch menus are appalling, nutritionally (hot dogs available three times per week?), and what appears to be heavy dependence on reward/punishment and competition as extrinsic motivators, as well as some shame-based discipline. All of those things suggest to me being out of touch with current research and best practices. I'm not sure we'll stay.

Forest Elementary School 3

Posted March 09, 2008
For the most part, the teachers at Forest are wonderful and the office staff couldn't be more friendly and helpful. The principal will hopefully be retiring in a couple of years which will only improve things. She tends to favor certain students and is unnecessarily harsh to children during 'fun' events.

Forest Elementary School 4

Posted January 04, 2008
I have three children who have attended Forest. My older children loved the school and the teachers that they had. My third children requires special services and the extra help she is receiving is great but the struggle is balancing her needs with pulling her out of the classroom. Her teacher is wonderful and has worked to help her excel both in the Resource Room as well as in the classroom.

Posted August 14, 2007

Posted April 24, 2006
the level of academic quality is surpassed by none in this school! Parent readers and room parents encouraged. Each child can choose an instrument in 4th grade and they have 4th graders participate as kindergarten reading buddies with each kindergarten class! The art program is astounding affording each child the ability to express themselves and to be named as artist of the month and have their work featured. The staff take pride in each child and you can't find a better and more attentive and somehow calmly strict principal than 'Dr. P'. This district accomodates all ethnicities and celebrates the differences in all of us while always striving for the best character in each of us. My children enjoyed the chorus, band and orchestra as well as the ideas, art and computer programs.There are plenty of events for the family. All four of my children and I loved this school!

Posted April 18, 2006
Forest is a wonderful school with a caring, nurturing environment. My daughters have Mrs. Celeste (Grade 2) and Mrs. Scott (Grade 4). Both are wonderful educators! The school prides itself on its 'no putdowns' program, and I definitely see the results!

Posted November 03, 2005
The Principal tries her best to make learning fun but educational. It is a great school. My kid is learning a lot and is also having fun. I highly reccommend this school.

Posted October 17, 2005

Forest Elementary School
250 North Forest Road, Buffalo, NY  14221
Last modified Forest Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-4. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Forest Elementary School Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 12 reviews. Top