No rating

Canisius High School

Private | 9-12

Living in Buffalo

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $290,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $690.

Posted April 3, 2014

I am a sophomore currently and overall my Canisius experience has been good, but not great. The school is challenging to most kids, and does give 1-2 maybe 3 hours of homework a night. The teachers are very good for the most part but can honestly say that some can AT TIMES be less than eager to help out a student in need. Canisius offers many extracurriculars not offered at many schools (i.e. Sailing Club) and has a WONDERFUL system of retreats that aid students in growing as a religious and secular person. This school will most definitely prepare you for college.... but only if you actually put the time and effort into letting it do so. Many kids at this school are stuck up and come from families of wealth. Many people say the problem with Prv. Schools is their lack of diversity, but CHS offers a lot of it. That's if you mean kids hanging out with people of their own race, same town, or same sports teams. Football and basketball varsity players get special treatment, like free food at lunch and never get in trouble. The corruption and inability to fluently run the school smoothly SHOCKS me in what is supposed to be the best school in WNY.

Posted February 25, 2012

this school is great and i love it it has a great education which unlike most schools is their main priority

Posted January 31, 2011

Could not be happier with our decision to send our boys to Canisius High School. My eldest is very gifted academically and yet was very challenged here. Standards are MUCH higher that NYS Regents standards. My husband is a teacher at another area school as well as a Regents exam reviewer and evaluator and can attest to that! In some subject areas (ie: Science and Math) the NYS Regents requires correct answers on only 45-50% of the questions for a passing grade! Not so at Canisius! Many of the teachers are alumni and are very committed to the school and its students- dedicating so much of their time not only in the classroom, but also with the many extracurricular clubs and sports teams! They also spend much of their time with retreats and immersion (mission) trips. Truly, the faculty & administration model what it means to be men & women for others.

Posted May 2, 2010

I am currently attending CHS. There are many times when I absolutely love Canisius, but more when I truly loath going through those Blue Doors..The academic aspect is incredible. There are some teachers who are not 'eager' to aid the students, but most are great. There are many problems with drugs, and alcohol... It seems that cynicism, vulgarities, and racism are a minor effect of attending high school/CHS. I love this school, but it exhausts me, and often it angers me. it will challenge your son, it's well worth it, but it will most definitely transform your son into a man.

Posted October 2, 2009

The administration seemed to perpetually worsen things with unnecessary new rules that only served to aggravate students and teachers. The academics are good, but not exceptional. Although many cite the lack of Regents requirement as an advantage, in my experience (the last year before I left) The math and science classes I took fell short of preparing me even for the Regents exams, which are the basic guideline for all of the state. There are many excellent teachers there, but the faculty often seem out of sync with the administration, and the result is conflict between teachers who generally just want to teach their classes and the administration who seem to hold teachers back in certain ways. If one lives in a district with good public schools (I am fortunate enough to do so), I would recommend the public school, as the atmosphere will be more diverse.

Posted September 11, 2009

Canisius High School provides an excellent education as well as a great foundation for life. The school encourages the boys to become men for others. This includes making the most of their abilities and talents to help themselves and others. The school stresses academic, athletic and personal growth. It encourages the students to be part of a brotherhood, to help each other and be there for each other for life. The alumni is a strong close community and Canisius graduates remain close to the school even if only at heart.

Posted March 15, 2009

This school is absolutely terrible! My son went here and hated it. The education is awful. The number of students is way to higgh, the teachers cannot give any individual attention to a student. I gret very much sending my son to Canisius High School.

Posted February 19, 2009

My son is currently a sophomore at Canisius and we had visited other New York Jesuit high schools before settling on Canisius (my husband's job permitted us to choose NYC or Buffalo) and after touring Regis, Loyola and Xavier in NYC, my son decided on coming to Canisius and staying in Buffalo, and he says that it was the best choice he's ever made. He has made some terrific friends that I have taken to become part of the family. The academics are rigorous, but only if you challenge yourself with AP and Honors classes. I am extremely impressed with the quality of the education the teachers provide and am very happy with the hiring of recent alumni to teach. I couldn't be more happy with the decision to send my son to Canisius, especially because it's a lot cheaper than some of the NYC schools! ;)

Posted February 16, 2009

I can't say enough to convey how happy I am with Canisius High School. The education my son is receiving is outstanding. The teachers and administrators stress the importance of education, exemplary behavior, and working for others less fortunate. My son loves Canisius, and I'm proud that he attends a school with a great tradition of excellence.

Posted December 19, 2008

I don't know how to describe my Canisius experience in just a few sentances. My older brother went to Canisius and he had a tough time adjusting from public school. Canisius was a bit too rigorous for him. But as I saw him struggle, I also saw him grow. When I first walked into Canisius, I was overwhelmed by the students and teachers welcoming me. I am currently a sophomore and would say coming to Canisius is my second most life-changing experience. I went on a retreat and this changed my life so much. I have made so many great friends and there are a few that I know will be there when we're done with college and move on. I will never forget any of these memories at Canisius and hope that any young men looking for a private school chosse Canisius because it is the best school in America.

Posted November 5, 2008

just the best school buffalo has to offer. 14 million in scholarships last year. that speaks volumes.only 200 graduating that shows the school shines in colleges eyes

Posted January 16, 2008

Canisius has become second home to me, even though the new administration is turning it into something it is not. Not only is it one of if not the best college prep school in the area, but, more importantly educates students to become men for others. No other school in Buffalo can produce the type of individual that Canisius can. Retreats will help you discover yourself and develop relationships that will last a lifetime. And if you do service projects such as I have you will learn to put others before yourself. That is what being a Crusader is all about.

Posted December 12, 2007

I go to school hear and love every day of it. Its my home away from home. The students and teachers are great. We are one big family. Go Canisius! Beat Joes!

Posted November 23, 2007

Canisius is a great blend of academics and athletics/other activities that I do not believe can be found anywhere else. The kids at Canisius care about there grades and for the most part want to learn. The school is improving constantly with the new building plans being proposed. The school being coed is a factor but personally after a week I didnt really care anymore. Also i do truthfully find it easier to go to school and focus on school and sports with out being with girls all day.

Posted January 30, 2007

I love it. At first i was shaky on the whole all boy school thing but i don't know how it could be better. The classes are fun,teachers are great and school day very eventful.With new upcoming processes Canisius will rise the bar even higher for school's across the world.

Posted September 4, 2006

You want to know the real truth about CHS then here it is. The school is too small for the amount of students. It is an all male school so your kid will hate you for life for sending him there. If you want your child in a private school, don't send him here. Send him to a co-ed school, he may not thank you but he will be happier.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted July 31, 2006

Acadenuc programs are the best in the entire state. Music, arts, and sports, with other extracurricular activities are all availabe to every and any one. We have some of the best team in the the area and not to mention the best high school jazz band in the area. Parents are very involved in the student life at Canisius, its very desirable and everyone would go to this school if they could be accepted.

Posted May 16, 2006

I am enrolled in several ap courses and find them very challenging. The eca's are great and also sports. A+

Posted February 10, 2005

I am currently a student at CHS and feel that is a great school. I strongly incourage any young man to look in to Canisius. It is truely a great invironment and the teachers are great.

Posted April 27, 2004

My son went to a highly-ranked college and is currently in a top medical school and still claims that CHS had the greatest impact on his development as a young man. Everything at CHS is done with class, faculty are very good to excellent, and the Jesuit experience cannot be beat. From parents I've talked to, none are as happy with their choice of private schools as are those who sent their young men through the big blue doors. Thank you Canisius, I couldn't be more impressed.

Asian 2% N/A
Two or more races 2% N/A
Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander N/A 6%
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 0% N/A
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Timothy K. Fitzgerald
  • All boys
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Associations
  • JSEA
  • NCEA

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Diocese of Buffalo

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

1180 Delaware Avenue