Canisius High School 3

Posted April 03, 2014
I am a sophomore currently and overall my Canisius experience has been good, but not great. The school is challenging to most kids, and does give 1-2 maybe 3 hours of homework a night. The teachers are very good for the most part but can honestly say that some can AT TIMES be less than eager to help out a student in need. Canisius offers many extracurriculars not offered at many schools (i.e. Sailing Club) and has a WONDERFUL system of retreats that aid students in growing as a religious and secular person. This school will most definitely prepare you for college.... but only if you actually put the time and effort into letting it do so. Many kids at this school are stuck up and come from families of wealth. Many people say the problem with Prv. Schools is their lack of diversity, but CHS offers a lot of it. That's if you mean kids hanging out with people of their own race, same town, or same sports teams. Football and basketball varsity players get special treatment, like free food at lunch and never get in trouble. The corruption and inability to fluently run the school smoothly SHOCKS me in what is supposed to be the best school in WNY.

Posted February 25, 2012
this school is great and i love it it has a great education which unlike most schools is their main priority

Posted January 31, 2011
Could not be happier with our decision to send our boys to Canisius High School. My eldest is very gifted academically and yet was very challenged here. Standards are MUCH higher that NYS Regents standards. My husband is a teacher at another area school as well as a Regents exam reviewer and evaluator and can attest to that! In some subject areas (ie: Science and Math) the NYS Regents requires correct answers on only 45-50% of the questions for a passing grade! Not so at Canisius! Many of the teachers are alumni and are very committed to the school and its students- dedicating so much of their time not only in the classroom, but also with the many extracurricular clubs and sports teams! They also spend much of their time with retreats and immersion (mission) trips. Truly, the faculty & administration model what it means to be men & women for others.

Canisius High School 3

Posted May 02, 2010
I am currently attending CHS. There are many times when I absolutely love Canisius, but more when I truly loath going through those Blue Doors..The academic aspect is incredible. There are some teachers who are not 'eager' to aid the students, but most are great. There are many problems with drugs, and alcohol... It seems that cynicism, vulgarities, and racism are a minor effect of attending high school/CHS. I love this school, but it exhausts me, and often it angers me. it will challenge your son, it's well worth it, but it will most definitely transform your son into a man.

Canisius High School 1

Posted October 02, 2009
The administration seemed to perpetually worsen things with unnecessary new rules that only served to aggravate students and teachers. The academics are good, but not exceptional. Although many cite the lack of Regents requirement as an advantage, in my experience (the last year before I left) The math and science classes I took fell short of preparing me even for the Regents exams, which are the basic guideline for all of the state. There are many excellent teachers there, but the faculty often seem out of sync with the administration, and the result is conflict between teachers who generally just want to teach their classes and the administration who seem to hold teachers back in certain ways. If one lives in a district with good public schools (I am fortunate enough to do so), I would recommend the public school, as the atmosphere will be more diverse.

Posted September 11, 2009
Canisius High School provides an excellent education as well as a great foundation for life. The school encourages the boys to become men for others. This includes making the most of their abilities and talents to help themselves and others. The school stresses academic, athletic and personal growth. It encourages the students to be part of a brotherhood, to help each other and be there for each other for life. The alumni is a strong close community and Canisius graduates remain close to the school even if only at heart.

Posted July 18, 2009

Canisius High School 1

Posted March 15, 2009
This school is absolutely terrible! My son went here and hated it. The education is awful. The number of students is way to higgh, the teachers cannot give any individual attention to a student. I gret very much sending my son to Canisius High School.

Posted February 19, 2009
My son is currently a sophomore at Canisius and we had visited other New York Jesuit high schools before settling on Canisius (my husband's job permitted us to choose NYC or Buffalo) and after touring Regis, Loyola and Xavier in NYC, my son decided on coming to Canisius and staying in Buffalo, and he says that it was the best choice he's ever made. He has made some terrific friends that I have taken to become part of the family. The academics are rigorous, but only if you challenge yourself with AP and Honors classes. I am extremely impressed with the quality of the education the teachers provide and am very happy with the hiring of recent alumni to teach. I couldn't be more happy with the decision to send my son to Canisius, especially because it's a lot cheaper than some of the NYC schools! ;)

Posted February 16, 2009
I can't say enough to convey how happy I am with Canisius High School. The education my son is receiving is outstanding. The teachers and administrators stress the importance of education, exemplary behavior, and working for others less fortunate. My son loves Canisius, and I'm proud that he attends a school with a great tradition of excellence.

Canisius High School