Riverhead Charter School

Charter | K-6 | 280 students

Sweep tile

Posted Monday, April 14, 2014

I have to disagree with the parent below who said that she thinks it is a good thing to have the principle run things "his way". I would think it would be better to run a school in a way for all concerned. TEAM WORK. I had a child at the school and I have seen the teachers go overboard for their students. My child was there for three years and in that time I never thought any of the teachers needed to be "cleansed". The school has the possibility of being very good but needs to work together for the good of all.

Posted Saturday, April 12, 2014

Mr Ankrum is an excellent Principal. He is more than fair in every way and wants things run his way - he is the Principal. This school loves kids and cares about their education. They do push kids forward as much as they can and we have seen our child come on a lot more since she has attended this school. Bullying is not tolerated at all and that alone speaks volumes!! There have been a lot of teachers leave but I firmly believe the school has been cleansed of all the trouble makers and poor quality teachers. The teachers that left that appeared to be good teachers were also probably treading on the Principal's toes and used to having their own way! Too many chiefs until Mr Ankrum arrived I would say.

Posted April 6, 2014

Let me just start off by saying my children are very fortunate to have such a wonderful school to attend. I have been nothing but pleased with everything about Riverhead charter school. I pulled my children out of the school district we live in because my oldest child was not having a good experience there. I am absolutely happy with the choice I made to put them in RCS . The school is still developing but it will only continue to exceed .Education and self growth are some of the top priorities this school offers for the children. All of the teachers have been wonderful . My youngest daughter couldn't read when she started kindergarten. After enrolling her into rcs that october she learned to read exceptionally wellwithin a few short months. I have nothing but great and positive things to say .Everyone I know and meet I recommend them . My children are learning so much . My son will also start kindergarten this September.I love that parents are welcome to voice their opinions and are able to be fully evolved in every aspect of their childs academics.

Posted March 31, 2014

I am seeing for myself & thru others that our reviews are being taken down! How sad that a select few individuals think they have the power to intimidate us as well as their coworkers! I applaud the teachers who are finally speaking out against their coworkers & administration! Investigations have been launched by several organizations & hopefully justice will be served. The background of the principal needs to be looked into closely, there are some serious allegations against him! The education of our children is the #1 priority here. We need teachers and administration that actually care & go over & above for the sake of the children. I wont deny that some of the staff that was let go needed to go but some great teachers were fired only because they refused to be bullied into going against their own beliefs. The inner workings of the school are the parents, as well as the publics business! I don't want my children being taught by someone who is afraid he/she is going to lose his/her job. When the teachers are being intimidated, threatened, bullied & shunned they can not perform their job to the best of their capability! Also, has the principal forgotten there is a dress code?

Posted March 18, 2014

I am very happy with my child's education from RCS. We have been at the school for 2 years now and yes there have been staffing changes but I trust the principal and board have my child's best interest in mind when making these decisions. If an employee is not working to the schools standards then they should be let go. My sons teachers have always been warm and welcoming. I receive phone and email responses quickly, even after hours and on weekends. I couldn't be happier with the school. My sons loves it there and always looks forward to going to school.

Posted March 15, 2014

As a proud parent of one alumni student and one present of RCS, I have nothing but positive things to say. Both my daughters attended RCS since kindergarden. My oldest daughter graduated two years ago and now attends our district school, only because at the time of graduation RCS only went up to 6th grade. Because of the education she received at RCS she is in all honors classes and remains on high honor roll throughout the quarters. My second daughter who currently attends RCS can run rings around other students in my school district (no offense). My last daughter will be attending RCS this coming school year 2014-15 and I only expect the best for her as well. My son who is only two years old will also be attending RCS when his time come. I recommend RCS to any parent who desires a great education for their child or children. Principal Ankrum is a great asset to the school!!! He provides nothing but positive improvements to the school as well as for his students. Keep up the good work RCS!!!

Posted March 13, 2014

As a parent, I feel that the inner workings of the school are none of the parents' business. All I am concerned about is the education of my child...about which I am very happy. I trust that all decisions are made for the good of the school.

Posted March 13, 2014

As an informed member of the RCS community, I can whole-heartedly state that RCS makes decisions based on what is best for students. To those who posted previously regarding teachers "vanishing" and "disappearing" -- yes, there have been staffing changes, but each of these changes was made because children were not receiving the instruction they deserve! Looking forward to the opening of the new building which will provide many amenities that RCS students have been dreaming of for many years: a library, art room, cafeteria/gymnasium, etc.. Great things ahead for RCS!

Posted March 13, 2014

I am a proud parent of a Riverhead Charter School student whose child attended public school during the school year of 2011-2012. Last year (school year 2012-2013), I decided to enroll my child into Riverhead Charter School. Thus far, I have to say I am pleased with my child's success at RCS and I have nothing but positive things to say about the school. I have noticeably seen positive changes take place within my child, which I attribute to my child attending RCS. Having my child attend Riverhead Charter School is a choice, my choice. A chosen opportunity that allows my child to receive the benefits of a quality education designed to be based on private schools standards in conjuction with public school options. Riverhead Charter School is aiming to become a school of excellence. And, in time I do believe under the leadership of the principal Mr. Ankrum, his staff, and continued positive changes taking place within the school and staff, this school will achieve their goal. I would recommend RCS to any parent looking for a quality education in a school where their child is exposed to a diverse student body while learning. Signed......Proud Parent of a RCS Student

Posted March 13, 2014

RCS is an amazing school!!! Mr. Ankrum is a highly supportive administrator. While working with him, I have been continually impressed with his commitment to excellence. He is uncompromising in his efforts to provide quality education for his students and never loses sight of students and their needs. He is a person of high integrity who places students at the forefront of everything he does. Mr. Ankrum has strong people skills and has earned a reputation as someone who listens to and respects other voices and opinions.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted March 12, 2014

My daughter is a current student at RCS and my son graduated from RCS 2 years ago. When we first moved to Long Island my children attended there district school for 2 years. My children was in charter schools when we lived in NYC and they attended Sisulu Walker Charter School. I am a advocate of charter schools. When I realized that there was a charter school in Long Island I enrolled my children in RCS. I am very happy with my decision. My children have excelled much further being in the charter school then they would have if they stayed in there district school. The school is great, the staff is great, they give 100% every day. The teachers love the students and go above and beyond to make sure that the children excel. I see what this little school has done to keep children active, involved and constantly learning. This school understands that education is most important, not only through textbook learning. This little school that has no gym no auditorium takes the time to develop and expose there students in music, history, art, etc. My daughter has been NYSSMA, The Step team, Special vocal group, she learn to play musical instruments. I am very well pleased with RCS.

Posted March 12, 2014

RCS is a great school, I see how the school has evolved for the better within the past 2 years. The principal and the teachers have a sincere heart for the children. What I enjoy most about RCS is there is a standard that has been set and it is being accomplished. RCS believes there students potential and the staff of RSC makes sure that there students operates in there full capacity. The education of the RCS students are not taken lightly. RCS is about to open there new school this up coming school year RCS will have K-8th grade. I hope by the time my son goes to HS, RCS will have a HS. I wish there were more schools like RCS, we need more schools like RCS, a place of structure, a place of growth, a place for learning, a place of development. What RCS needs is more parent involvement. I am excited about the growth of RCS and I am proud to be a parent of a child that attends such a great school where kids needs are put first.

Posted March 12, 2014

I am a parent of 4 kids, and I have noticed the change in our education system. Many schools are not putting as much emphasize on education as I think they should. Homework is rarely given if given at all. Teaching methods are very mediocre and bland not bringing any excitement or joy to learning. But not at the Riverhead Charter School, this school is amazing. My nephew who goes to school in Queens who is in the same grade as my daughter, he is not as advanced as my daughter. My daughter can do power point presentations, her read reading capabilities is above her above her required reading level. This school is diverse and that is something that grasp my attention. The teachers are so wonderful with the students, they are so supportive and understanding as well as caring. I would recommend this school to anyone who wants to see there children grow in there academics. The Children needs are a priority at Riverhead Charter School.. RCS understands the importance of education and learning. What I enjoy most is the children get homework assignments during there breaks from school. That is just how important our children education and success is valued at RCS.

Posted February 26, 2014

I would caution anyone looking at this school. Something very sneaky and underhanded is going on behind the scenes. This school year started with a bunch of new-hires, mostly brand new inexperienced teachers. Then, my child's favorite art and music teachers disappeared and were replaced with novice teachers...very nice people, but I wonder what happened to their predecessors? Then, suddenly the Spanish teacher (a real Spanish speaker and very strong teacher) vanished and was replaced by a very young teacher (who doesn't even speak Spanish). Then, we came back from Christmas break to find a classroom teacher, a veteran with lots of experience and exciting ideas, vanished and was replaced. Now, another good teacher disappeared on Valentines Day. All of the ESL teachers got replaced, and the one we got assigned is terrible and has no parent-communication skills at all. My children are so upset. We love this school, but what is making all these great teachers leave? What is nobody telling us? They even replaced the excellent dean they had before with some guy who has no clue what he's doing and is awful.The new principal is very nice, but something is terribly wrong. I want answers.

Posted September 26, 2013

I am a new parent, with two children in kindergarten and I am deeply impressed about communication with the teachers. I can not compare with other schools or previous years, but I think is not much usual that the teachers encourage parents to call, email or talk in person as many times as they want, to work together in the child's needs, to make a great learning experience. Parent participation is welcome, and I personally received immediate response from the principal or teachers when I tried to reach them. This school allows parents to be really involved in their children's education. I'd like to see more programs offered in the near future.

Posted September 4, 2013

This school is poor. With a lack of any technology and sports programs, students are at a disadvantage. How can you run a school without working computers? Other local schools have smart boards, tablets, and computers. This schools has none of the above.

Posted July 3, 2013

My daughter completed 3rd grade at RCS, this is our 1st year here. I am nothing short of impressed & grateful for the education & support my daughter/family has received this past year! RCS instils respect for one self/others, morals & confidence in their students each day. The staff truely care about their students well being & education. They lead by example. My expierence with her teachers has gone above & beyond my expectations! From Sept-Dec she went up 5 full reading levels! I did not realize how much my daughter was not learning in public school until she became a student at RCS! The education she received was personally tailored to enhance her strengths & decrease her weaknesses. Our family went through some very painful changes this year. The schools social workers not only gave her the tools to handle our situation, they loved & nurtured her through it all. I am positive that if she was in public school this past year, she would have been lost on the mix. Principal Ankrum is an energetic, strong leader. He seems to connect beautifully with the students.I have witness my daughter become a strong student & a confident young lady at RCS. I look forward to another 5 years!

Posted November 9, 2012

This is a wonderful school. My daughter started the year in public school, which didn't last long due to the lack of education, arrogant teachers and to be desired environment she was in. After looking for schools we came across Riverhead Charter and decided to check it out since it was a longer school day, no tuition, smaller class sizes and seemed more personalized with an enrichment of classes as well. We did have our reservations though. Our biggest concern about the school was the rumors that it was "for bad kids" or had a high minority student body . Neither was true and the school is a wonderful blend of a multi cultural diverse student body with very dedicated teachers to boot. Thus far I am beyond pleased with the education she is receiving along with her wonderful teacher. Would recommend this school to anyone looking for a better alternative to public schools.

Posted October 21, 2012

I Graduated from this school last year and this school needs 5 stars. This school is very strict and teaches alot. They help people When they are having trouble. This school helped me get ready for Middle School. Although this school doesnt have high quality materials they have the best teachers ever! I been in this school through k-6 and i loved it. They also have strict rules so all staff and students are safe. i loves this school! Love, Taiviana :D

Posted August 12, 2012

The school is wonderful and the teachers amazing. My daughter started middle school ahead because of the education she received here. However the principal leaves room for improvement. Sadly if she doesn't agree with a teacher they are let go and many great teachers have been lost from RCS in the 5 years she is there. I will say Putting my daughter in this school is the best decision I even made.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 31% in 2013.

35 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 34% in 2013.

35 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

Beginning in the 2012-2013 school year, the New York State Department of Instruction implemented new assessments designed to be aligned with the Common Core State Standards. The new standards for proficiency in these subjects are higher than in previous years and the percent of students earning a proficient score is expected to be lower as a result of this change. See this letter from New York's Commissioner of Education for more information on these changes.

In 2012-2013 New York used the New York State Assessments to test students in grades 3 through 8 in English language arts and math. The tests are standards-based, which means they measure how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of New York. The goal is for 90% of students to meet or exceed grade-level standards on the tests.

The state average for English Language Arts was 30% in 2013.

32 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 36% in 2013.

32 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 88% in 2011.

34 students were tested at this school in 2011.

The state average for English Language Arts was 30% in 2013.

27 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 30% in 2013.

27 students were tested at this school in 2013.

The state average for English Language Arts was 30% in 2013.

22 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 31% in 2013.

22 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Asian 4% 9%

• MR. RAYMOND J. ANKRUM

Foreign languages taught
  • Spanish

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

Arts & music