Public charter
Calverton, NY

Posted October 29, 2014
The principle Mr. Arkrum has worked very hard to filter out all staff members who chose to believe in a Union including the Union President. There are all new teachers with less than 2 years experience and are under Mr. Arkum rule!! There are no bad kids only bad behavior that need to be redirected. I like to know why bad kids don't deserve a place at that school? I know they are not special needs friendly. This school has a lot a things going on that are not very good including the principle!!

Posted June 22, 2014
The principal and teachers of this school do care and Mr Ankrum has worked very hard this past year to filter out poor staff and bad kids that don't deserve a place there. Children are pushed and encouraged a lot but for their own good. Any child under Mr Ankrum's watch is safe and this can't be stressed enough. 5 stars for the principal. The staff that are efficient, have high energy and enjoy their work. No child gets left behind at this school!

Posted June 12, 2014
I think that RCS is fantastic. With 70% minority student enrollment and zero disorder this school is the definition of unity, tolerance and diversification. I wouldn't want my child anywhere else. The teachers and students are held to a high standard which is why they continue to be successful.

Posted June 08, 2014
What a disappointment. This was after school until the current administration ruined it for everyone. I would not recommend this school anymore. My grandchildren are upset everyday, wondering of their teachers will be "next" to lose their jobs. All of the best teachers have been let go due to being pro union. The principle is narcissistic and a power hungry BULLY. Awful. -Mary E. Dunne

Posted June 06, 2014
We used to love RCS, but no longer. My older children attended and had a wonderful experience. The school was growing, adding new programs, and improving every year. When my youngest started last year, we started to see changes we didn't like. The new principal got rid of the best, most experienced, most creative teachers and hired a lot of brand new, freshly-graduated teachers in their places. Our favorite art teacher left at the end of last year, one of the music teachers left, and now the other music teacher has disappeared. It's true what another parent said---the best teachers seem to just vanish, and nobody is told why.

Posted June 05, 2014
RCS is not a school I would recommend. It used to be a wonderful place, with caring teachers and a close-knit, family atmosphere. With the new principal, everyone is tested to death with an excessive homework load, and achievement scores, from NYSSMA to ELA and Math, are going DOWN. All that paperwork, and the students aren't learning! I would avoid this place like the plague, until they clean house in administration and make a fresh start.

Posted April 06, 2014
Let me just start off by saying my children are very fortunate to have such a wonderful school to attend. I have been nothing but pleased with everything about Riverhead charter school. I pulled my children out of the school district we live in because my oldest child was not having a good experience there. I am absolutely happy with the choice I made to put them in RCS . The school is still developing but it will only continue to exceed .Education and self growth are some of the top priorities this school offers for the children. All of the teachers have been wonderful . My youngest daughter couldn't read when she started kindergarten. After enrolling her into rcs that october she learned to read exceptionally wellwithin a few short months. I have nothing but great and positive things to say .Everyone I know and meet I recommend them . My children are learning so much . My son will also start kindergarten this September.I love that parents are welcome to voice their opinions and are able to be fully evolved in every aspect of their childs academics.

Posted March 31, 2014
I am seeing for myself & thru others that our reviews are being taken down! How sad that a select few individuals think they have the power to intimidate us as well as their coworkers! I applaud the teachers who are finally speaking out against their coworkers & administration! Investigations have been launched by several organizations & hopefully justice will be served. The background of the principal needs to be looked into closely, there are some serious allegations against him! The education of our children is the #1 priority here. We need teachers and administration that actually care & go over & above for the sake of the children. I wont deny that some of the staff that was let go needed to go but some great teachers were fired only because they refused to be bullied into going against their own beliefs. The inner workings of the school are the parents, as well as the publics business! I don't want my children being taught by someone who is afraid he/she is going to lose his/her job. When the teachers are being intimidated, threatened, bullied & shunned they can not perform their job to the best of their capability! Also, has the principal forgotten there is a dress code?

Riverhead Charter School 4

Posted March 18, 2014
I am very happy with my child's education from RCS. We have been at the school for 2 years now and yes there have been staffing changes but I trust the principal and board have my child's best interest in mind when making these decisions. If an employee is not working to the schools standards then they should be let go. My sons teachers have always been warm and welcoming. I receive phone and email responses quickly, even after hours and on weekends. I couldn't be happier with the school. My sons loves it there and always looks forward to going to school.

Posted March 15, 2014
As a proud parent of one alumni student and one present of RCS, I have nothing but positive things to say. Both my daughters attended RCS since kindergarden. My oldest daughter graduated two years ago and now attends our district school, only because at the time of graduation RCS only went up to 6th grade. Because of the education she received at RCS she is in all honors classes and remains on high honor roll throughout the quarters. My second daughter who currently attends RCS can run rings around other students in my school district (no offense). My last daughter will be attending RCS this coming school year 2014-15 and I only expect the best for her as well. My son who is only two years old will also be attending RCS when his time come. I recommend RCS to any parent who desires a great education for their child or children. Principal Ankrum is a great asset to the school!!! He provides nothing but positive improvements to the school as well as for his students. Keep up the good work RCS!!!

Riverhead Charter School
3685 Middle Country Road, Calverton, NY  11933
Last modified Riverhead Charter School is a Charter school that serves grades K-7. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Riverhead Charter School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 40 reviews. Top