Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

My daughter has had a wonderful experience at this school. We look forward to her continuing through 8th grade.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly disagree

Very few good caring teachers left I think the gym teacher will be next at the rate they're going

The principal always has his face in his cell phone and is very unapproachable. He avoids dealing with issues, especially those that happen on the bus. His dean is useless. I pulled my child from this school and glad I did! I happened to read the articles about the principals twitter account and how bad he treats his staff! I was mortified! He has a potty mouth! What a joke!

Amount of homework: Disagree

Packets and worksheets and more worksheets! GOD! I don't know how I did it. This is one of the major reasons parents have take their children out of this school.

The principle Mr. Arkrum has worked very hard to filter out all staff members who chose to believe in a Union including the Union President. There are all new teachers with less than 2 years experience and are under Mr. Arkum rule!! There are no bad kids only bad behavior that need to be redirected. I like to know why bad kids don't deserve a place at that school? I know they are not special needs friendly. This school has a lot a things going on that are not very good including the principle!!

The principal and teachers of this school do care and Mr Ankrum has worked very hard this past year to filter out poor staff and bad kids that don't deserve a place there. Children are pushed and encouraged a lot but for their own good. Any child under Mr Ankrum's watch is safe and this can't be stressed enough. 5 stars for the principal. The staff that are efficient, have high energy and enjoy their work. No child gets left behind at this school!

I think that RCS is fantastic. With 70% minority student enrollment and zero disorder this school is the definition of unity, tolerance and diversification. I wouldn't want my child anywhere else. The teachers and students are held to a high standard which is why they continue to be successful.

What a disappointment. This was after school until the current administration ruined it for everyone. I would not recommend this school anymore. My grandchildren are upset everyday, wondering of their teachers will be "next" to lose their jobs. All of the best teachers have been let go due to being pro union. The principle is narcissistic and a power hungry BULLY. Awful. -Mary E. Dunne

We used to love RCS, but no longer. My older children attended and had a wonderful experience. The school was growing, adding new programs, and improving every year. When my youngest started last year, we started to see changes we didn't like. The new principal got rid of the best, most experienced, most creative teachers and hired a lot of brand new, freshly-graduated teachers in their places. Our favorite art teacher left at the end of last year, one of the music teachers left, and now the other music teacher has disappeared. It's true what another parent said---the best teachers seem to just vanish, and nobody is told why.

RCS is not a school I would recommend. It used to be a wonderful place, with caring teachers and a close-knit, family atmosphere. With the new principal, everyone is tested to death with an excessive homework load, and achievement scores, from NYSSMA to ELA and Math, are going DOWN. All that paperwork, and the students aren't learning! I would avoid this place like the plague, until they clean house in administration and make a fresh start.

Last modified Riverhead Charter School is a Charter school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.