Ps Ms 147 Ronald Mcnair

Public | PK-8 & ungraded | 745 students

Posted August 17, 2012

I am a student at 147 I think the school is a good school. My brother was bullied in the school when I was in the 5th grade twice overt is boy. I love the school only when they do fun trips, shows and step. I am a lady rocket and love the school. I might go to a different school and i am not sure to stay or not but it is a hard decision. I like ms Beatty , ms cox, ms.mason, and ms.matz I love the school . The school needs more help on despline and about trying to give less hw cuz the give way too much on Fridays

Posted May 22, 2012

My child is in the first grade and was been bullied from the very beginning of the semester. I have reported the incidences to the appropriate person's when my child came home with bruises and they have done nothing resolve the problem. I was told different excuses, that they were short on staff and so forth.The Assistant Principal is very unprofessional and it was embarrassing how she spoke to me. I often wonder how these people are educating our youngsters. It was the biggest mistake to enroll my child in this school. The principal has no control. the city needs to step in and evaluate this school.

Posted June 13, 2011

The teachers have no control over these kids, especially the older ones and the Principal is never anywhere to be seen. It's horrible when the older kids in the middle grades run the entire school. I can't wait to get my daughter out of this place!

Posted October 21, 2010

One of the parents wrote find it interesting that the parents who have the most negative things to say about this school do not attend the PA meetings I have attended meetings and NOTHING comes out of them. It should not have to take outside programs like Project Hype to help raise grades. Not every child can participate and that is not fair to those who can t.

Posted April 25, 2010

I have a son in 8th grade at 147. This is a wonderful school. Security agents greet you at the door. There is a real sense of community in the school. Teachers are dedicated and the administration keeps the students in check. I was especially impressed by the use of technology in the classrooms. One teacher in particular uses a SMARTBoard and has a website for the kids to use at home. My only complaint is that the uniform code is not enforced by other parents.

Posted April 16, 2010

I think PS 147 is ok. I think more parents need to come to more PTA meeting and be more involved.I also think the principal need to pay more attention to the younger kids and they should move them into the main building. There also need to me more security around the school. My daughter attends this school as of now but I really think I will be taking her out when she gets older because I want more for her and I don't think this school has what to offer.

Posted January 13, 2010

The school is ok the principal needs to pay more attention to the middle school students as opposed to staying in the auditurium with the younger kids. she needs to be more aware of what happens on the outside with the other children swearing and so fourth

Posted November 5, 2009

My daqghter started P.S. 147 in her senior year and was previously a product of the private school arena. I must stay that I am truly impressed with the teachers at this school. I truly feel that most of them give 125% effort and time to the students. I receive telephone calls immediately when my daughter over steps her boundary or if she is socializing too much.

Posted October 4, 2009

I attend this school right now. I honestly think that this school is a very good school.The problem is that the principals are trying their best to make the school better, but most of the other students are not willing to cooperate. There needs to be more consequences for the students that cause commotions for them self individually. I also think that some of the staff should ease on the children in middle school with the homework. And then they have the nerve to complain when a student missed one assignment out of the truck load. I also have a feeling that by the time I graduate to high school , my back will be broken!!!!! This school needs lockers desperately. I know they are being delivered shortly, but it hurts me to see other students with book bags that weigh more than them. More info but It can't fit.
—Submitted by a student

Posted September 12, 2009

I am a parent of three and all of my children attended The Ronald McNair Schooll. My daughter graduated with honors from the school and went on to middle school graduated from there with honors and is now on the Deans list in college. My son is now in college also a graduate from the school. I also have a nine year old in middle school at P.S./M.S. 147 who I and my husband are working on him to follow in the footsteps of his siblings. This is a great school!! I find the priciple to be very sympathetic to the needs of the children as well as the parents. The teachers are very nice and are willing to talk to you about any concerns you might have about your child.

Posted March 23, 2009

My child, now in 5th grade has been attending since the 2nd grade. The staff is great. If I have any concerns or questions. my daughters teacher communicates with me via. email, notes or phone. I must say I would like my daughter to be challenged more. With the increase in student body it seems the teachers are overwhelmed at times. They are now a elementary/middle school and i'm just not convinced that they are equipt for this increase.

Posted February 11, 2009

I find it interesting that the parents who have the most negative things to say about this school do not attend the PA meetings or come out and speak to any of the leadership or request a walking tour to see why we have achieved an A and B level for this school when others are failing. They only come at arrival and dismissal and then complain about noise level. I love my school. It is not Perfect, however we are moving our levels 1's up and have excellent enrichment programs. Before you post a comment come to more than 1 meeting(besides when the kids are performing ). When Mrs Cohen came to this school it was on the needs improvement list.....how well could it have been run prior! She got it off the list within two years with the help of an awesome staff. Before you type show up!

Posted January 28, 2009

I moved my children to 147 because I couldn't afford to keep them in private school. Big mistake... I am ashamed of this NYC public school. Halls are filled with noisy students who clap, stomp and scream their way throughout the building. Teachers try to calm students down, but many students (especially upper grades) do not listen to authority. I was surprised & disappointed to hear the way that the principal speaks to the children. There a lot of yelling in the school.

Posted January 26, 2008

The school is in constant state of chaos which makes learning difficult for the students. There is no procedure for discipline for minor issues except to call parents or suspend the child. Most of the teachers do not appear to be motivated to teach. More programs are needed for the students to become successful and well rounded.

Posted December 6, 2006

PS 147 had maintained higher than average test scores, with an orderly and achievement-oriented environment for many years under principal Dolores Nethersole. Both her detractors and admirers claimed that she ran the school 'like a parochial school' complete with uniforms. Since her retirement last year, the environment has shifted and the school is a no longer a good choice in that district
—Submitted by a former student

Posted November 2, 2006

thank you P.S.147 to make my brain smarter
—Submitted by a student

Posted February 18, 2006

I can honestly say that this school is great. They have lots of extracurricular activities that kids can enjoy.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted November 12, 2005

I feel that the teachers are not spending enough qualtiy time with the children to ensure that they know the work properly. It seems as if they rush through the work; this is how a lot of the children get lost. In the past couple of years, the school is now making the effort to provide more sports and extracurricular activites for the students. The students would be able to benefit from more music and art programs. The school does request a lot of parent involvement, but they do so without being conscious of a parents hours during the regular business week. They should make things available on the weekends so that working parents could attend and participate.

Posted August 2, 2005

Not a horrible school, but the administration (principal) does not stick to what she says she is going to do, which is probably why everything seems to be in turmoil all the time. The teaching staff however is wonderful and commited.

Posted November 18, 2004

I was recommended by a family friend about P.S.147. I am so disappointed with the schools policies and the way the principal keeps herself in isolation when a parent commes with a complaint. No one seems to care about the children in the classes. My child is coming from out of state and she isn't learning on the same level that she is used to. It really hurts me that I have to send my child there.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 32% in 2014.

57 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 42% in 2014.

60 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

Beginning in the 2012-2013 school year, the New York State Department of Instruction implemented new assessments designed to be aligned with the Common Core State Standards. The new standards for proficiency in these subjects are higher than in previous years and the percent of students earning a proficient score is expected to be lower as a result of this change. See this letter from New York's Commissioner of Education for more information on these changes.

In 2013-2014 New York used the New York State Assessments to test students in grades 3 through 8 in English language arts and math, and in grades 4 and 8 in Science. At present 2013-14 results are available only for English language arts and math. The tests are standards-based, which means they measure how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of New York. The goal is for 90% of students to meet or exceed grade-level standards on the tests.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 33% in 2014.

72 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 43% in 2014.

73 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 90% in 2013.

63 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 30% in 2014.

60 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 40% in 2014.

63 students were tested at this school in 2014.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 29% in 2014.

87 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 38% in 2014.

86 students were tested at this school in 2014.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 29% in 2014.

82 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 33% in 2014.

80 students were tested at this school in 2014.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 36% in 2014.

68 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 22% in 2014.

67 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 69% in 2013.

68 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Source: New York State Education Department

In 2009-2010, this school was given a grade of "D" for the elementary and middle school level.

Progress Report Grades measure the school's contribution to student learning in three areas: School Environment, Student Performance and Student Progress. Schools can receive additional credit for achieving exemplary performance progress among high-needs students. Progress Report Grades range from A to F.

Source: New York City Department of Education

Master's degree and above 67%N/A39%

Teacher credentials

Teachers with no valid teaching certificate 0%N/A0%
Source: NYSED, 2011-2012
The NYC Department of Education asked parents, teachers and students about their school's learning environment. Results provide insight into school climate, such as whether the school is academically rigorous, safe, communicative and collaborative. Learn more

The information captured by the survey is designed to support a dialogue among all members of the school community about how to make the school a better place to learn. An overall category score is calculated for each respondent group (parents, teachers, or students) by averaging the scores of the questions within that survey category.

Category scores for each of the respondent groups are then combined to form overall category scores. Alongside the results for each school are the aggregated results across all NYC public schools, which are provided as a basis for comparisons.

Learn more about the NYC DOE survey »Close
Based on 489 responses

This school provides ... 1

A safe and respectful environmentWhat's this?

This score measures whether parents, students and teachers feel that the school creates a physically and emotionally secure environment in which everyone can focus on student learning.

8.0

8.4

9.0

7.2

7.6

8.0

Clear, useful communication about educational goalsWhat's this?

This score measures whether parents, students and teachers feel that the school provides information about the school's educational goals and offers appropriate feedback on each student's learning outcome.

8.5

9.4

7.8

Strong parent, teacher and student engagementWhat's this?

This score measures how engaged parents, students and teachers feel they are in an active and vibrant partnership to promote student learning.

9.1

7.2

7.7

7.8

High academic expectations for all studentsWhat's this?

This score measures how well parents, students and teachers feel that the school develops rigorous and meaningful academic goals that encourage students to do their best.

8.3

Teachers2761%

12012-2013 New York City Department of Education School Survey

• MS. ANNE COHEN

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

Apply now