Carmel, NY

Kent Elementary School 1

Posted June 22, 2014
its horrible for learning and bullying. They are suppose to have a no tolerance for bullying but the moment you say anything then your poor kid gets bullied by the staff! I totally wished we could pay for another school district because they compare themselves to the local ones around but they cant compare apples to oranges. I am very disgusted and disappointed As far as parent involvement it is only encouraged if you are class room mom otherwise its under lock and key from start of school until the end

Kent Elementary School 2

Posted January 22, 2014
We moved to the CCSD school district over the summer and our daughter started at KES in the fall. We really tried to adjust as best as we could, but ultimately found the school to be lacking. Maybe it can be blamed on the new core standards, but we found our daughter school work to be dull and confusing at times. There are too many students per class and our requests to get a better handle on the curriculum and daily schedule where met with resistance from both the teacher and principal. I was also told by an administrator in a neighboring district that CCSD did not attend any of the (albeit limited) Core Standards training sessions by the state. My daughters teacher told us that they were just handed the new curriculum a week before classes started and were told to 'just figure it out'. Unfortunately I worry about how well this district is preparing its students. We have since pulled our daughter out and are sending her to a private school. We are all much happier.

Kent Elementary School 5

Posted February 24, 2013
I can honestly say that Kent Elementary School has far surpassed my expectations. My son is in Mrs. Cutler s first grade class and he loves it. She is wonderful!! She is an excellent educator and great communicator. My son had difficulty with reading when he began first grade and they immediately provided reading lab for him on a daily basis for extra support. Mrs. Cutler will send notes home and even call my husband or me to periodically provide feedback and progress or address a concern. Also, Mrs. Weisel, the Principal has called both of us regarding concerns and even just to tell us how proud she is of our son s improvement in reading. It really amazes me that a Principal could be so proactive and involved with the students. She hosts several events for the Parents and is easy to speak to. I work full-time and my mind is completely at ease knowing that my son is at KES getting the greatest care and education in this area. He is surrounded by dedicated educators that are kind, patient, and very professional. They also take the safety of the children very seriously which was one of my concerns beginning the school year. There is no doubt this is an A++ school.

Kent Elementary School 5

Posted February 14, 2010
My son is in the first grade but I can say that I am very happy so far,he had a very good teacher in the Kindergarden(Mrs.Douglas)and very good teacher he has now (Mrs.Patterson)My son is still taking about teacher from last year.He can wait until it's Monday so he can see his teacher,she knows how to talk to them and most important is that she knows how to make them to listen to her.I know is still early to say that but teacher is the biggest impact on your kids.I hope this will not change in future.I have a very good feeling about this school.Very nice staff.

Kent Elementary School 4

Posted May 13, 2008
I have 2 kids in the school and overall it's not bad. In each grade you can find at least 1 teacher that is great. The course study is handed down from the state so what matters are the teachers. They do have a non profit afterschool program and the PTO organized a great after school sports program. I would like to see more of an effort to teach above and beyond what is expected. I would also like to see some of the teachers that are no longer performing removed.

Kent Elementary School 1

Posted August 18, 2007

Posted February 15, 2007
I have a 7 yr old son at KES in Carmel, who is in special ed and what a nightmare.He is currently below a kindergarten reading level and getting the proper services for him has proved unsuccessful many many times. I am very unhappy with his teachers as well as the entire district. The program they are currently using,Fundations,from all the research that I have done seems that it is in fact very good,proven scientifically to be successful but it doesn't seem to be working. I'm starting to suspect it may be the teacher!

Posted September 15, 2006
As a parent of a child with a speech/language disability. I am very unhappy with the school district. They were unable or not willing to provide the support needed to remain in the district. She is now attending school in another district and doing exceedingly well. Transportation is a nightmare! Her program is over at 2:15pm and she as well as other handicapped children are left at the school until 2:45 while they wait for other children to be picked up from private school. A 10 minute commute takes over 1 1/2 hours. Careml is the only district with this problem. The other students are picked up on time.

Kent Elementary School 4

Posted January 08, 2006
The quality of academic programs at kes is probably average. It it depends upon the individual teacher. Obviously they follow the same program which I feel is pretty good but each teacher really can make a difference. Fortunately there are a lot of good teachers and my childrens learning experiences has always been very good. Sports, especially baseball, are big for this age in our district. All sports are run by the recreation departments and are additional fees. Music and arts are barely adequit. In the fourth grade each child plays about 6 different instruments throughout the year to see which one they would like to play in 5th grade. This I thought was a great idea and worked out well with my kids. Parents involvement is split. Some parents are really invovled and others take no interest or don't have the time. All and all my children have had a good learning experience at kes.

Posted May 09, 2005
This school offered an afterschool help program geared toward the ELA test for 4th graders. My daughter did better on that test because of it. However I feel that they have not done enough for math skill and that she has fallen by the wayside. The classrooms have 20 kids which I feel is too much. The music class teaches a variety of instruments so children can get familiar with which one they are most comfortable with and are able to choose the one for the 5th grade. I do wish that a foreign language would be taught at the age, but at this school it isn't. I do like the teachers my daughter has had, they all seem to have a passion for teaching. Overall I think it is a good school but does need improvements especially in the math help.

Kent Elementary School
1091 Route 52, Carmel, NY  10512
Last modified Kent Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-4. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Kent Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 11 reviews. Top