Coram Elementary School

Public | K-4 | 1040 students

Sweep tile

Posted April 17, 2014

I don't know which was worse, the horror of finding out we were in the Longwood school district or this place. Very low income area with all the problems that go along with it. Very rude woman who sat at the front desk each day, needs an attitude adjustment. Send your kids to private school, we did.

Posted February 15, 2013

Absolutely wonderful school!!! Both of my children attend/ed Coram Elementary. One moved on to the Middle School this year and is an honor student. My youngest doing a wonderful job as well. They are always so motivated to work and do well. Love participating in all of the activities that the school offers. I have had wonderful experiences with all of the teachers. I am absolutely proud to say that my children attend Coram Elementary. Great place!!!

Posted January 12, 2013

The principals, teachers, the PTA and even the BOE work excellently to create and maintain a healthy academic climate for the children to thrive in both academically and socially. As a parent I am well pleased and can only wish that the principal, and teacher report cards this year would accurately reflect the level of excellence that they dedicate to educating our children.

Posted June 23, 2008

this is my son first year in school it has been a great year, his teacher was outstanding and the curriculum was great, he is in kindergarden and loves to read and writes reports about the books, he finish the year learning to add and subtract. esl program is great his teacher was awesome. very pleased with this school.

Posted June 28, 2007

my son just graduated from 4th grade coram elementary with a scholarship award and a great report card and nys testing average the teachers, and pta did a wonderful job

Posted May 15, 2007

I love Coram School and all it's teachers with the exception of the lunch menu and lack of nutritional choices. I understand that this occurs in most schools but, we must start the change somewhere and soon. Hot pockets and French Toast Sticks are not a nutritional lunch and we should be teaching our children better nutritional values. Why can't we have vegetables to dip daily, fresh fruit to snack on, salad choices daily and whole grain wheat breads and wraps. I would think that the parents would be willing to pay a little extra in price for alot extra in nutrition.

Posted May 22, 2006

Academic program in the third grade is wonderful. The teachers are very good. The extracurricular activities don't seem to be there, but I'm not sure how much can be done in the third grade. Overall, the atmosphere is conducive to learning, and my daughter has done very well this year after coming off a bad second grade experience in Maryland.

Posted April 7, 2006

academic programs are saticfactory with high student teacher ratio's.Good extracurricular activities. Low parent involvement.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted March 2, 2006

The school is very up to date with preparing our children for taking standardized tests (ex: giving dbq's in first grade!) with that said, i'm not sure what kind of life skills they are allowing my child to learn and practice. I guess it's the bitter dichotomy of the schools needs vs. The child's needs. The schools need good test scores, but life is not a series of tests outside of school. Life skills learned via hands on lessons or projects would be a much better approach. So far (kindergarten and first grad), i haven't seen any of this kind of instruction being used.

Posted May 1, 2005

Absolutely wonderful school. Teachers are outstanding, the curriculum is great. Our child has progressed wonderfully. In special Ed however, its not so great. Though, I must say, they have come a long way, and have improved a great deal in the past 3 years.

Posted January 28, 2005

This district often gets bad mouthed. I have nothing but praises about the school. Both my children attend and love it. I have been very pleased with the teachers and curriculum. The extra activities are great. Children participate in many diffferent activities. My children have become very proficient with the computer thanks to time in computer lab. Excelent music and art program. Children learn to play several instruments. I don't think I could be any happier than I am at Coram Elementary.

Posted May 18, 2004

My son goes to the Coram School and I've seen a great difference in his work. His Teacher works in groups and one on one. My son is in Kindergarden and he knows how to read, write, add, subtract, problem solve, and sound out words so he can spell them. The teachers at the Coram School are very involved in the childrens thoughts and ideas and really boosts their self-esteem. My daughter is 2 1/2 and I can't wait till she goes here I'm very proud of the work that the adminstration has done. Not only is the school great the PTA is also wonderful and does many great things for the children and families in the school district. Please if your child will be attending this school join the Coram PTA they are there for you and your child.

Posted February 23, 2004

I have been a parent for 28 years. Three of my children have already gone through the entire district and graduated. I currently have one in Coram elementary with another coming up. I have found Coram school to be better than a private school. The teachers are and always have been extremely supportive of all my children and willing to help them succeed in any way possible. I also was warned 30 years ago about Longwood school district not being that good. I have found that to be completely false. My oldest graduated from Stony brook with her bachelors degree and then with a master's degree from Fordham. My next daughter gaduates in a year from Stony Brook University and my oldest son is currently attending his freshman year in SUNY Cortland. They were provided an excellent education. Good enough to get into State University's which are very competitive. If the motivation to learn is there the teachers and district are ready to provide it.

Posted August 26, 2003

My son will be entering 1st grade and is eager to start another wonderful school year at Coram Elementary. Full time kindergarten really paid off. My son can read and excels in math. I was extremely pleased with the teacher, Mrs. Candy. She was enthusiastic and energetic. The assistant principal, Mr. Bossert, is a wonderful delight for the children and parents. He is usually at all school events and can clearly see he enjoys his job. The school maintains order and structure beautifully. Parents are welcomed to participate and join in many events. Being fairly new to the district, I am extremely pleased with Longwood!

Posted August 26, 2003

My son has attended Coram school special education for Kindergarten and first grade. I was sceptical about this school system as it was not rated well, however my experience has been excellent. He took the Terranova test for 1st grade with all marks in the 96-98%. He is on the third grade adademic level. The special education teachers are very hands on and very helpful if you are willing to be a parent that wants to help your child. Now he will be attending 2nd grade and was main streamed. Excellent work to those teachers!

Posted June 14, 2003

I have a young boy in this school (Kindergarten). I feel his experience has been very good and I was quite impressed with this school on many different levels. I had been forewarned by others that this school district was not rated that well, but I find that to be completely false thus far and I am hoping the remaining years will be as good an experience as the first.

Posted June 13, 2003

Very impressed with the accomplishments my daughter has achieved. She is reading, writing, adding and subtracting, and she is only in kindergarten. Full day Kindergarten really pays off, she loves Coram Elementary school and her teachers.

Grade level

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 31% in 2013.

207 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 34% in 2013.

208 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

Beginning in the 2012-2013 school year, the New York State Department of Instruction implemented new assessments designed to be aligned with the Common Core State Standards. The new standards for proficiency in these subjects are higher than in previous years and the percent of students earning a proficient score is expected to be lower as a result of this change. See this letter from New York's Commissioner of Education for more information on these changes.

In 2012-2013 New York used the New York State Assessments to test students in grades 3 through 8 in English language arts and math. The tests are standards-based, which means they measure how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of New York. The goal is for 90% of students to meet or exceed grade-level standards on the tests.

Source: New York State Education Department

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 30% in 2013.

209 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 36% in 2013.

209 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 88% in 2011.

192 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

Teacher credentials

Teachers with no valid teaching certificate 0%N/A0%

• MR. VAUGHN DENTON

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Targeted Assistance program (TAS)

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

61 Coram-Mt Sinai Rd