Cornwall-on-Hudson, NY

New York Military Academy 3

Posted February 10, 2015
The school is certainly in a slump and is in need of a facelift. Many of the buildings have exceeded their lifetime and were not taken care of the past couple years because of incompetent maintenance directors. The state of the facilities has turned a lot of people away from the school and its a shame. The school is on beautiful property, however there is way to much property to maintain with its current state. I would disagree that the school is no longer marketable. The current administration and president have been working to turn the school around and frankly the school would have closed if he did not step in. NYMA certainly has an uphill battle, however it will require more than one person to step up. It will require current staff to step out beyond their job descriptions to help promote the school and get it going in the right direction as well.
3 people found this helpful

New York Military Academy 1

Posted February 05, 2015
This school is a complete dump. There are more academic offerings down the street at the local public middle school (fact). NYMA has no money and has closed its doors twice in the last five years. Thats a sign that the school is no longer marketable. The self-promoted president of NYMA calls ALL the shots and is inexperienced and incompetent. Not a good mix. My advice is keep looking! There are many great schools across the river and into New England that deserve your attention far more than NYMA.

Posted March 21, 2014
I attended summer school for geometry the first year women were admitted. Was attending an excellent, very strict private all girls school. Once I got over the giggles of the unfamililar military tradition, my grade score increased 37 points, passing finals easily. It must have been my father who thought I would benefit from the discipline and he was right. Looking back, wished I spent all 4 years there. Great school and staff.

Posted November 23, 2013
I graduated in 1972. Things were rougher in those days but it was and still is a very fine school. Taught me a lot. I am a very proud graduate of this fine institution!

Posted January 29, 2012
My 2 sons both went to/are at NYMA, the eldest graduated in 2008,the youngest is a senior.So when my daughter was looking for a middle school,she wanted to go to NYMA.It is a coed school,but there is mostly boys.I however was not suprised at her choice,raised in a milatary family I am a navy pilot and my wife was an army officer before she died in combat.She is athletic,highly intelligent and a tomboy.She loves it.

Posted November 21, 2011
This is my son s first year at NYMA. I am extremely happy with the school so far. The teachers are great as well as the new Superintended . The school presents great opportunity to a student who needs structure to excel. Most kids do best under some structure, this school offers great balance

Posted January 25, 2011
I am a former cadet at NYMA, 1967-1974. I am very proud of what I learned there. I hope the school survives these trying economic times. They have always had top notch staff and like anything in life, you get out of it what YOU put into it. RIP Col. Castellano!

New York Military Academy 4

Posted July 22, 2010
NYMA has been the best thing wer have done for our son. His confidence self steem has improved tremendously. The staff is superb form Major Coverdale his staff the teachers the nurse everyone cares about the safety and welfare of your child to the max. I know my son is having an excellent education. During this summer he took the admission test for private schools and the results were amazing. Thanks NYMA

New York Military Academy

Posted April 12, 2010
The New York Military Academy was a perfect fit for me. Their guidance and constant reinforcement set me up for the future. I am graduating this year and am looking forward to pursuing my degree at one of New Jersey's best Universities. I was accepted to a number of excellent schools and I credit NYMA with enabling me to strive for excellence. I would sincerely recommend NYMA to anyone looking for a strict, college prep program. The faculty and staff are far more than committed and have done all within their powers to assist me. I am grateful for the New York Military Academy and appreciate its mission.

New York Military Academy 4

Posted June 17, 2009
I found the teachers and the administration at NYMA to be superb. My son just completed his first year.

New York Military Academy
78 Academy Avenue, Cornwall-on-Hudson, NY  12520
Last modified New York Military Academy is a Private school that serves grades 1-12
New York Military Academy Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 22 reviews. Top