PK-6|Private

Bad
Good

This school and its staff is a hidden gem and a dying breed unfortunately. Where else can you get pretty much a personal tutor and one on one attention, due to the small classes. Its pretty amazing to have a teacher(s) individualize a students classwork based on that students abilities. That doesn't happen in public schools because of the large class sizes. One on one attention? what's that? I have the teachers cell phone number and can text her if I am running late! Yes, thats how personal this school is and very caring professional people. Its run like a family and the kids are taught values and respect for one another something you will not receive in a public school. I know because I am a public school teacher. This school is worth its weight in gold as far as I am concerned and I would sacrifice elsewhere if I had to in order for my daughters to receive this personalized education. You will not regret sending your little one(s) to OLM. :)

When I first arrived at this school, I was greeted warmly. The students come first. As for comments about fundraisers-it is a necessary evil. The school DOES have technology. 22 new computers and 1-6 have Smartboards. Even Pre-K visits the Computer lab. As for crossing the street, those that make negative comments are often the ones SPEEDING through town. The school now has a crossing guard 2 mornings per week. If the town would add the position into the budget as it does for the crossing guards at Cutchogue East and Southold SD, it wouldn't be an issue. Also, OLM should have a blinking light just as Cutchogue East, Mattituck HS and Southold (which isn't even on the Main Rd.) have. Not every student likes every teacher, not every teacher likes every student. Keep that in mind when making comments about staff as well. They give up their time, money, energy and are often going above and beyond with great sacrifice to themselves and their families. If you can do a better, go to school for 4 -6 years for a degree, take multiple state tests, and continuing education for the remainder of your career AND deal with parents who thinks their child is never responsible.Good luck with that.

I am so happy that I made the choice to send my children to Our Lady of Mercy. My oldest graduated from OLM a couple of years ago, and my youngest will graduate in a couple of years. The entire school community is so warm and welcoming. My children established great relationships with the teachers and even the principal! The class sizes are small, which I loved because my children got small-group attention that they would not have gotten in the public schools. My kids have made life-long friends from OLM. Whether you are religious or not, you can appreciate the level of respect that the children learn at the school because of the religious foundation. I have never met such a large group of respectful children. I was also really glad that the school requires uniforms. It is so much easier to buy a few uniforms than a lot of clothing that will only be "stylish" for a couple of months. If you are on the fence about sending your children to this school, I would recommend you at least go visit. I am so happy that my children were a part of the OLM community. We will miss it a lot when my youngest graduates.

Teachers, staff & principal really put their extra care into everything they do for their students. Adequate & proportionate class size give a more appropriate teacher to student learning ratio. Children in grades prek - 6, interact with each other throughout the school year. Students will learn to "teach" grade below & "learn" from grade above, by pairing up in certain situations. Students are taught faith based values, morals & manners, you don't always see taught or utilized by students in most school systems today. As for activities and clubs, O.L.M. has plenty to offer and they really do an outstanding job! I strongly recommend to any new family in the area or families already in the area, to call or stop by as the principal is happy to offer a day to shadow/visit the classrooms, to see if they would like to join the student body. Our Lady of Mercy is thriving & well!

The principal is not even certified. Very small school. The public schools are doing a good job.I decided I didnt want my child to be in a school which might close.

My son graduated from OLM 5 years ago. I went to their open house January 2012 and was blown away by the technology! Skyping with other Catholic schools for lessons! The "all purpose" room downstairs is amazing! The new computer lab upstairs was impressive. I loved what the 6th grade students did as the display for the open house. Veteran teachers were also there to show off their classrooms and talk to potential parents/students! It's not the school I remembered...it's better! Cheaper than some pre-schools and so many after school clubs! Golf, twirling, newspaper, arts, and let's not forget fall track!

My children love this school! They come home happy and their backpacks are just fine. They feel sad about leaving their teachers for the summer, but they look forward to having the next year teacher. During the last week, the kids switched to their new teacher for a few minutes in their "new" grade. They use the computers in their classroom and in the Computer Room upstairs. They love going to the Cutchogue library across the street. I agree with the last comment. The quality of education and the great moral character of the children is why I send them to OLM, not the uniforms, which are not expensive if you buy the gently used ones $5.00, or the weight of the backpacks! Really ?!

These last two comments are very interesting. Heavy backpacks and expensive uniforms......... The quality of the education was the reason my kid goes to this school. But good luck to you with lightweight backpacks and no uniforms..

thanks so much to the previous post! I went to the open house and was extremely dissapointed. Cross the BUSY street to get to the library and the gym?? NO technology..at all?? Yes, i did notice they are struggling and i heard from alot of parents that fundraisers are their main concern. I also saw right through the principal, and heard lots and lots of negative things about her. I appreciate letting me know... i would be so upset if we spent $$$ on uniforms ..only to be unhappy. Especially when the uniforms are monogramed with the School logo. Good luck to you and God Bless!

OLM is an excellent school that offers a strong academic program that follows Christian ways. The children are taught about respect, discipline, caring for others. I have two children in the school presently and one that graduated and went on to McGann Mercy. My children are excelling in an environment of love and warmth and are being instilled with the love of learning and good discipline to succeed.

Last modified Our Lady Of Mercy Regional School is a Private school that serves grades PK-6