No rating

The Masters School

Private | 5-12

Living in Dobbs Ferry

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $565,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,520.

Posted June 13, 2014

The Masters school has been an extraordinary experience for both of my kids. While it provides rigorous academic challenges, it maintains a strong ethical core. The school uses the Harkness Method, a method that encourages each student to express his/her point of view. Because it is the only day/boarding school in the nyc area, the diversity of the student population is unmatched.

Posted May 21, 2014

As a student at the masters school since 5th grade and a current upper school student I feel I know this school well enough to write a review. I came to this school originally to avoid the stereotypical blond white rich kid type that dominated my last school. Masters is very diverse and if that's something your looking for in a school it won't disappoint. However except for the nice students, I have very few nice things to say about the rest of the school. The teachers vary extremely in skill and experience, and there is mixture of older teachers and younger teachers with very few in betweens, which I feel furthers the dissonnect between the teachers. Also in the past few years there have been a lot of teachers leaving and a lot of new inexperienced teachers coming in. As an introvert my grades are reduced by up to 20% if I do not talk in class, and students who don't talk are given much worst scores than students who blather on about nonsense for the entire class. Unless your child is a Chatty Cathy who doesn't mind taking a gamble on their teachers, or is willing to teach themselves, I don't recommend this school.

Posted May 31, 2012

i have found Masters to be an excellent choice for my child. she strives tom be a success and so far she is on the right path. the classes are challenging and engaging. the teachers are wonderful. as a boarder the last two years she has matured, and will be ready for college when the time comes. i am ever so glad for the opportunity for my child to attend Masters

Posted December 22, 2010

What a relief when my child transferred to The Masters School! Unlike her previous school (Horace Mann), Masters provided my daughter with a ton of individual attention and recognition of outstanding academic achievements, a rigorous education, and some truly outstanding teachers. The school administration creates a great deal of community spirit and most of the students actually have good manners! The extracurricular activities are varied and on a high level, especially the theater program and singing groups. The school is well equipped and the grounds are lovely. The dining hall food is actually palatable! The college admission process was very helpful, accomplished without undue anxiety, and my daughter was accepted, early decision, at a top college. Will my grandchild attend Masters? She should be so fortunate!

Posted December 19, 2010

This is a school for verbal students who communicate easily with teachers and peers in classroom discussion. The quiet child is subtly ostracized by the community, especially the teachers, and we found this to be a very costly experience in terms of lost confidence and tuition. The faculty is extraordinarily unresponsive to parent concerns and promote an atmosphere of elitism. I found no accommodation for thoughtful, nonverbal students. There is a strong emphasis on fundraising and attracting new applicants. In my experience the old values of encouraging the individual on his or her own terms have vastly changed. The atmosphere is now pressured and striving, with a troubling absence of overall philosophic direction.

Posted May 11, 2010

Love The Masters School! Great staff, excellent curriculum & student focused. We are fortunate to be a part of The Masters School community.

Posted December 27, 2009

I don't understand the negative reviews because this is my first year at the Masters School, and going here is one of the best decisions I have ever made. The classes are great, the teachers are really nice and will always help you when you need it, the campus is beautiful, the food is great (I just had to put that in) and the kids are really nice. This is an amazing school and I recommend it to everyone.

Posted October 9, 2009

I go to this school, and I disagree with most of what has been said, this school is amazing, it gives you a chance to learn and grow and become a truly amazing person, the sense of community with the staff and students is unimaginable, and I could have never in my life found a more perfect school than Masters, I love it with all my heart, and i can honestly say that you can not find a single student here that feels any different than I do. Most of the students here are hard working and dedicated, we are an open group of people that are friendly with all people than come to visit, and come to join our community.

Posted December 21, 2008

I found that many of the teachers were new and inexperienced. Also, I found that many of my fellow peers were denied opportunities to take college level classes because of strict departmental rules. Students graduating from The Masters School often do not make it to colleges they would have if they were in a public school system. Also, the school administration imposes too much control over the student body to a point where parents side with the student.

Posted August 28, 2008

The Masters School is not for eveyone and everyone is not for it. I was a boarder and enjoyed my time there. I feel that the Harkness Method of teaching is was a great respite from the more ridgid ways of learning I had experienced. As far as broadening my horizons outside of academics I created unforgettable memories with a wide network of people: most of whom I still speak with today. Athletics were as good as a non-competitive, academically focused institution could expect. I do wish the photography studio had been invested in more. Finally, residential living was great. For the teenagers who can handle this type of experience, I say go for it. You'll never forget it.

Posted April 6, 2008

I was impressed with the education provided to me in the Masters Middle School. However, the high school is a place with extremely good and bad teachers. The high school administration tries to impose too much control over the student body, to a point where students and parents are distressed.There is also a lack of AP courses, a poor athletics program, and the arts program is starting to decay.

Posted March 25, 2006

The quality of the academic programs are unmatched. The school has an etensive campus that offers the best in music, dance instruction, sports inlcuding fencing, and extracurricular activities including an extensive art room and program. I am not sure about parent participation.

Posted May 9, 2005

The Masters School is centered around community. It has a great learning environement, utilizing the harknedd method and teachers are very open and friendly. Great student diversity and international population. Although not all sports are top notch, it gives all students a chance to participate in a wide variety.

Posted June 23, 2004

A wonderfully diverse school where the students are well prepared for the academic and social rigors of college. The administration and teachers are caring and involved. The only knock is the lack of a consistently strong athletic program, but the administration is working on that issue. My two children, a boy and a girl, have received a wonderful and enriching educational experience there.

Posted February 23, 2004

How sad that diversity and inclusion should be considered detrimental. Masters is a school that has moved into the 21st century. Not only are students provided with a quality education, but also a nurturing and supportive environment that celebrates individuality. The beautiful campus and extra-curricular activities should not go without mention. A truly wonderful school.

Posted August 19, 2003

The school has a beautiful campus and great teachers who are accessible and kind for the most part. The major short-comings are all about the administration of the school who are more concerned about fund raising and appearances for alums and investors than the overall happiness of the student body. Many boarders are often depressed while a lot of day students spend as little time as possible on campus. The Harkness table teaching allows for great class discussion and personal growth. In the end the school tries to enforce way too much control on the students, to the point of criticizing parents for allowing their children to do something if the school would rather they not.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted August 10, 2003

Once a well-respected girls school, The Masters School has gone down hill since its introduction of boys in 1996. 'Diversity' has overtaken the outlook of the school and less than worthy students have been admited because of their race or parents check book. If Masters intends on surviving into the next fifty years it would do well to tighten-up on discipline and try to hold on to the fantastic teachers from the old days.
—Submitted by a former student

Asian 13% N/A
Two or more races 3% N/A
Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander N/A 6%
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 0% N/A
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• NAIS
  • NCGS

• Computer lab
  • Library

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

49 Clinton Avenue