Dobbs Ferry, NY

Posted August 01, 2014
Intellectual rigor in a school is hugely important to our family. In our searches, we learned fairly quickly that there were several schools where we could find it. What stood out about Masters, to us, was that along with true intellectual rigor, we could count on ethical and moral education as well, along with rich cultural opportunities and plenty of athletic options. Many schools will tell you that they re dedicated to the whole child Masters will deliver. This fall we ll attend our tenth Curriculum Night (akin to a back-to-school night) and I m confident I ll leave with the same feeling I ve had at the past nine: I wish I could turn back the clock and attend Masters myself.

Posted June 13, 2014
The Masters school has been an extraordinary experience for both of my kids. While it provides rigorous academic challenges, it maintains a strong ethical core. The school uses the Harkness Method, a method that encourages each student to express his/her point of view. Because it is the only day/boarding school in the nyc area, the diversity of the student population is unmatched.

The Masters School 2

Posted May 21, 2014
As a student at the masters school since 5th grade and a current upper school student I feel I know this school well enough to write a review. I came to this school originally to avoid the stereotypical blond white rich kid type that dominated my last school. Masters is very diverse and if that's something your looking for in a school it won't disappoint. However except for the nice students, I have very few nice things to say about the rest of the school. The teachers vary extremely in skill and experience, and there is mixture of older teachers and younger teachers with very few in betweens, which I feel furthers the dissonnect between the teachers. Also in the past few years there have been a lot of teachers leaving and a lot of new inexperienced teachers coming in. As an introvert my grades are reduced by up to 20% if I do not talk in class, and students who don't talk are given much worst scores than students who blather on about nonsense for the entire class. Unless your child is a Chatty Cathy who doesn't mind taking a gamble on their teachers, or is willing to teach themselves, I don't recommend this school.

The Masters School 4

Posted May 31, 2012
i have found Masters to be an excellent choice for my child. she strives tom be a success and so far she is on the right path. the classes are challenging and engaging. the teachers are wonderful. as a boarder the last two years she has matured, and will be ready for college when the time comes. i am ever so glad for the opportunity for my child to attend Masters

Posted December 22, 2010
What a relief when my child transferred to The Masters School! Unlike her previous school (Horace Mann), Masters provided my daughter with a ton of individual attention and recognition of outstanding academic achievements, a rigorous education, and some truly outstanding teachers. The school administration creates a great deal of community spirit and most of the students actually have good manners! The extracurricular activities are varied and on a high level, especially the theater program and singing groups. The school is well equipped and the grounds are lovely. The dining hall food is actually palatable! The college admission process was very helpful, accomplished without undue anxiety, and my daughter was accepted, early decision, at a top college. Will my grandchild attend Masters? She should be so fortunate!

The Masters School 2

Posted December 19, 2010
This is a school for verbal students who communicate easily with teachers and peers in classroom discussion. The quiet child is subtly ostracized by the community, especially the teachers, and we found this to be a very costly experience in terms of lost confidence and tuition. The faculty is extraordinarily unresponsive to parent concerns and promote an atmosphere of elitism. I found no accommodation for thoughtful, nonverbal students. There is a strong emphasis on fundraising and attracting new applicants. In my experience the old values of encouraging the individual on his or her own terms have vastly changed. The atmosphere is now pressured and striving, with a troubling absence of overall philosophic direction.

Posted May 11, 2010
Love The Masters School! Great staff, excellent curriculum & student focused. We are fortunate to be a part of The Masters School community.

Posted December 27, 2009
I don't understand the negative reviews because this is my first year at the Masters School, and going here is one of the best decisions I have ever made. The classes are great, the teachers are really nice and will always help you when you need it, the campus is beautiful, the food is great (I just had to put that in) and the kids are really nice. This is an amazing school and I recommend it to everyone.

Posted November 18, 2009

Posted October 09, 2009
I go to this school, and I disagree with most of what has been said, this school is amazing, it gives you a chance to learn and grow and become a truly amazing person, the sense of community with the staff and students is unimaginable, and I could have never in my life found a more perfect school than Masters, I love it with all my heart, and i can honestly say that you can not find a single student here that feels any different than I do. Most of the students here are hard working and dedicated, we are an open group of people that are friendly with all people than come to visit, and come to join our community.

The Masters School