Floral Park, NY

Posted October 04, 2013
This school is a disappointed for our family on multiple levels. The school needs improvement from academics to the administration. Anyone considering this school should review the 2013 assessment test results before making a decision.

John Lewis Childs School 3

Posted August 26, 2013
Overall, this is a school and district that care about students and the involvement of parents. The school has a tradition of excellent education and I believe the Board and Administration (Principal) are committed to achievement. That said, there is a total lack of focus on Science and it is extremely disturbing. All trends in the global and US economy point to STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math) being essential for future careers. Although my review states 4/5 stars for Teacher Quality and Principal Leadership, the School and District get ONE STAR for not aggressively addressing the Science issue. Many parents are very involved and are wonderful people who are invested in their child/children and they pitch in, give their time, energy and money and do a great job. The PTA is active and meets social needs and class projects but there is a greater need for an academic focus. Again, parents and the PTA could cause the focus change to more STEM courses and activities. Because of the lack of Science (STEM) and the super focus on the Common Core, the school is Average 3/5 stars.

Posted June 18, 2013
Very very pleased with what my daughter learned in First Grade. It seems all of the first grade teachers are excellnt and I've heard similar things about the second grade teachers. I am concerned about 4th and 5th grade as per the comments below.

John Lewis Childs School 2

Posted February 13, 2013
TERRIBLE for science and writing. Admin doesn't help. Concerns fall on deaf ears. Go to private school.

Posted February 07, 2013
UGH!!! Dont get the man teachers in 4th or 5th grade! If my now 2nd grader gets either either one, Im OUT! Don't get me wrong, there are some good teachers there, but there are some DUDS (a kind term compared to what I'd like to say), who will make your kid feel TERRIBLE about him or herself and others (esp 4th grade) who will just WASTE their time (esp 5th grade). If your kid loves singing they might hate it after the general music teacher gets through with them. The administration doesn't do anything about the many complaints they get about all of these things. The band teacher is tough but really good but you cant do band till4th grade. Only good thing I can say is that they do teach the kids to be nice to the special ed kids.

Posted February 04, 2013
I was so disappointed with the way the school and the district handled my kindergartner. I took him out, was able to send him on my own to another public school (the district refused to help) and he's doing extremely well.

Posted November 07, 2012
I love this school. The teacher's are excellent and teach more than just the ABC's. The student's are taught to be kind, considerate, respectful and courteous in class as well as in and around the hallways. The teacher's, administrators and staff are always pleasant and responsive to any questions or concerns that students and parents may have. They have been taught to give to the less fortunate through activities run by the school as well as the PTA. Keep up the good work!

Posted October 16, 2012
Highly disappointed with JLC. The principal was very unsupportive and unfriendly. As a mother of 2 one being an infant and a fulltime working mother I had asked for my daughter to be able to attend morning shift of pre-k. She said that because I did not write a note that she was unable to fulfill any request. This is not a rule or standard procedure and I was never notified of this process. She still refused to work with me after I told her my situation so sadly I had to pay for her to go to private school for the year on top of the fact I have been paying school tax for the past 7 years with no children in the school district until now.

Posted October 21, 2008
My son is in 5th grade and my daughter is in 2nd. I think it is wonderful. The kids are learning alot. The more advance students have the ability to goto special classes (PROBE). The teachers and administration listen and my kids haven't had a bad teacher yet! They have afterschool for parents who work. The only thing is they still don't have full day Kindergarden. Which is a problem. I'm paying for full day Kindergarden. I think it will be mandatory in NYS by 2010-11.

Posted March 08, 2008

John Lewis Childs School
10 Elizabeth Street, Floral Park, NY  11001
Last modified John Lewis Childs School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
John Lewis Childs School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 15 reviews. Top