No rating

St Mel School

Private | PK-8 | 60 students

Living in Flushing

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $316,500. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,500.

Posted May 26, 2014

To become a principal, in my opinion, you need to have at least a decade of experience in education teaching. There is a maturity needed for the position in terms of professional and life experience. Being in your 20s is not it.

Posted January 27, 2014

St. Mel's is a nurturing small school that provides a excellent academic education thru professional experienced teachers. My son is able to complete his homework by himself in 5-20 minutes. He loves all subjects and has fun in gym, art, music, and computer. If your child has a disability, this is an accepting school. The parish priest, principal, and teacher will take special interest in your child and do what they can to accommodate your child's needs. Even the other children are kind and tolerant. As a military brat, I have attended many schools along the east coast and abroad. I have never been a member of a clique or popular. By personal comparison, this school is very fair and treatment is unbiased.

Posted October 30, 2013

Love this school. I like that it's a small school. Everyone watches out for each other. The school year just started, give the principal a chance to prove himself before you say he doesn't have enough experience to run the school. He is very involved. I see him more than I saw the previous principal. This principal is planning on bringing in common core. If he does that, then this school will be even better. Good luck Mr. Stein. Hopefully you prove these negative families wrong, for the sake of the school.

Posted October 28, 2013

I put my daughter in this school, thinking that the smaller class sizes would be a plus. This school is not up to par with the curriculum. My daughter is in the third grade. There is such a difference in her work than the work of her friends in the public school system. ST MELS is significantly behind. I really wanted to give this school a chance but I may be transferring her out of it. As for the comments that if you are not one of their families, they are prejudice against you? I haven't seen this but in any school you go to there are cliques. Wether it's the children or the parents. You can't get away from that.

Posted October 27, 2013

I agree that if you are not one of their families you don't exist. the school is very prejudiced against certain families.The environment is not at all a Christian one.

Posted September 27, 2013

As for the former negative reviews, there is a new principal and new teachers. Father Gerard Sauer has a true mission to re-vamp this school and great things are happening here!!! I would definitely recommend this school. Both my children started in the Toddler Time program and are now in 3rd & 2nd grades. They are both doing wonderfully, they play soccer and baseball with the CYO teams and love it. Parents and Faculty here are so pleasant and willing to go above and beyond to help. The PTA committee really goes out of their way to make fun events for the children. It is a great environment!

Posted September 27, 2013

I am a former student and my children are now enrolled in this school. There is a great sense of family and security . As with any other institution we've had our ups and downs but if you do your part, you'll receive an excellent education!! There's a new principal, new teachers, and the pastor is on a mission to re-vamp this school. I highly recommend it, would never think of going elsewhere!

Posted September 5, 2011

If you are not one of "their" families, you are an outsider. The school is not welcoming, unless you are in the click. A whole school year can go by and wondered - who/where is the principal? With the scandal that was uncovered in January, only specific classes were informed. While the offender may not have had direct contact with entire school, information and updates should have been distributed to everyone. Parents shouldn't be informed through the news or only in the parish bulletin (again, their parishioners). In my eyes, the school is nothing special, compared to other parochial schools. I'm not saying it is a terrible school, but there is nothing especially great to boast about. I will end it this review on a good note - St. Mel School is financially more sound than other Catholic Schools and will stay in business for "their" students.

Posted April 6, 2010

My child just recently graduated from this school. He is now a freshman at Holy Cross. St. Mel did not do their job in properly preparing him for high school. Instead of telling the boys what kind of socks to wear or how to do their hair, or telling the girls that they cannot wear any nailpolish or make-up in highschool ( which is'nt true), they should be more focused on academics and PE. This school does not have a gym. Our children are going to be worked beyond words in a high school gym class. They are not doing their job!

Posted April 28, 2009

I have 2 children in St Mel's and as I do like the school, I am disappointed that they don't offer any help if a child is struggling a little academically.The first thing they say is 'get you child evaluated'. What is that going to do if the school is not equipped to give your child the extra help. You're better off in public schools where they have these resources to help your child. Not only do I have to pay tuition, I also have to pay for tutoring. It's ridiculous!! The catholic schools want the money, but they don't help your child what so ever. Plus it has no gym and no extra activities. My children have to eat where they paly gym. That's unsanitary.

Posted July 30, 2008

I am going to disagree with some of the comments made that the St. Mel school lacks in education...first of all if you want to start comparing St. Mel with the public schools you should send your children to public school. I have 3 children, my son who is an '08 graduate, and now my son is entering the 8th grade and my daughter in the 6th grade. We have been part of St. Mel school for 11 years and I have to say that all my children excel academically...The school also provides a safe environment that I feel most public schools do not. I feel that there is no such thing as a peferct school, every school has issues..We came a long way and the school is now updated with smartboards, teachers have worked hard to help the children with whatever help they need. I highly recommend this school!

Posted May 27, 2008

I am going to disagree with the posting on 4/18/08. I see that many private schools inflate grades to make their schools look better. I have removed my children from this school because I felt that their education was subpar as compared to public grade schools in the area. The academics here leave alot to be desired. Why am I doing the teachers job after school with a 2nd grader, 3 hours of homework? That is the teachers job to teach. Not mine at home. Take a look at the ratings for the public schools in the area. All high. What are the credentials of the teachers? I felt my child deserved an honest & straightforward education. One he earned and was not given. You know what? My oldest child was accepted into Holy Cross also. He did it honestly and with hard work and actual great grades he truly earned.

Posted April 18, 2008

I currently have one graduate son (graduated with honors and with a scholorship to Holy Cross, Prep and offerings to Malloy) and another son in 2nd grade. I feel that BOTH my boys have greatly benefited from attending St. Mel's. The main reason why I sent my children to Catholic schools were for the MORALES that they would learn. I feel that a high ratio of students that come out of that school go onto wonderful things in life. Of course every school has things that need to be worked on, but for the most part I highly recommend this school!.

Posted June 27, 2007

I am a little disheartened with this school. It seems the teachers expect the parents to do the work after school. There are no extra curricular activities on an academic level. Do they not beleive in Arts and Sciences? But there is soccer. (sarcasm) The children are learning, but not at the same pace as other students in public schools in the area. Besides these obious drawbacks, everyone in the school I have met is friendly and helpful. I just wish the academics were just as important to the school as handwriting and religion.

Posted September 6, 2006

I have two children at St Mel's, and have been nothing but pleased. Small, safe, nurturing environment where teachers in all grades (and principal!) know the names of nearly every child. Two classes per grade. Afterschool program. A few drawbacks - no foreign language is taught. No accelerated program.

Asian 8% N/A
Two or more races 1% N/A
Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander N/A 6%
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 0% N/A
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Diane M. Competello
  • Coed
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Associations
  • NCEA

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Diocese of Brooklyn

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

15424 26th Ave