Posted August 16, 2014
They are changing the name and structure to St. Mel's Academy in an effort to change the image and negative reputation in the area. The academics area low and teaching quality substandard. To have a principal in his 20s leading other educators, without enough experience in the field speaks volumes regarding leadership. I agree totally with the below parent's review.

Posted August 10, 2014
AWFUL I would give it 0 stars if I could. The teachers don't teach the children anything, they're to concerned about wether your daughter has nail polish on. The teacher need to step up the academic work. The parents don't care. They let their child do whatever, but if their child complains that the work is to hard, the parents go right up to the principal to complain. I would not recommend this school to anybody.

Posted January 27, 2014
St. Mel's is a nurturing small school that provides a excellent academic education thru professional experienced teachers. My son is able to complete his homework by himself in 5-20 minutes. He loves all subjects and has fun in gym, art, music, and computer. If your child has a disability, this is an accepting school. The parish priest, principal, and teacher will take special interest in your child and do what they can to accommodate your child's needs. Even the other children are kind and tolerant. As a military brat, I have attended many schools along the east coast and abroad. I have never been a member of a clique or popular. By personal comparison, this school is very fair and treatment is unbiased.

Posted October 30, 2013
Love this school. I like that it's a small school. Everyone watches out for each other. The school year just started, give the principal a chance to prove himself before you say he doesn't have enough experience to run the school. He is very involved. I see him more than I saw the previous principal. This principal is planning on bringing in common core. If he does that, then this school will be even better. Good luck Mr. Stein. Hopefully you prove these negative families wrong, for the sake of the school.

St Mel School 3

Posted October 28, 2013
I put my daughter in this school, thinking that the smaller class sizes would be a plus. This school is not up to par with the curriculum. My daughter is in the third grade. There is such a difference in her work than the work of her friends in the public school system. ST MELS is significantly behind. I really wanted to give this school a chance but I may be transferring her out of it. As for the comments that if you are not one of their families, they are prejudice against you? I haven't seen this but in any school you go to there are cliques. Wether it's the children or the parents. You can't get away from that.

Posted October 27, 2013
I agree that if you are not one of their families you don't exist. the school is very prejudiced against certain families.The environment is not at all a Christian one.

St Mel School 4

Posted September 27, 2013
As for the former negative reviews, there is a new principal and new teachers. Father Gerard Sauer has a true mission to re-vamp this school and great things are happening here!!! I would definitely recommend this school. Both my children started in the Toddler Time program and are now in 3rd & 2nd grades. They are both doing wonderfully, they play soccer and baseball with the CYO teams and love it. Parents and Faculty here are so pleasant and willing to go above and beyond to help. The PTA committee really goes out of their way to make fun events for the children. It is a great environment!

Posted September 27, 2013
I am a former student and my children are now enrolled in this school. There is a great sense of family and security . As with any other institution we've had our ups and downs but if you do your part, you'll receive an excellent education!! There's a new principal, new teachers, and the pastor is on a mission to re-vamp this school. I highly recommend it, would never think of going elsewhere!

St Mel School 3

Posted September 05, 2011
If you are not one of "their" families, you are an outsider. The school is not welcoming, unless you are in the click. A whole school year can go by and wondered - who/where is the principal? With the scandal that was uncovered in January, only specific classes were informed. While the offender may not have had direct contact with entire school, information and updates should have been distributed to everyone. Parents shouldn't be informed through the news or only in the parish bulletin (again, their parishioners). In my eyes, the school is nothing special, compared to other parochial schools. I'm not saying it is a terrible school, but there is nothing especially great to boast about. I will end it this review on a good note - St. Mel School is financially more sound than other Catholic Schools and will stay in business for "their" students.

St Mel School 2

Posted April 06, 2010
My child just recently graduated from this school. He is now a freshman at Holy Cross. St. Mel did not do their job in properly preparing him for high school. Instead of telling the boys what kind of socks to wear or how to do their hair, or telling the girls that they cannot wear any nailpolish or make-up in highschool ( which is'nt true), they should be more focused on academics and PE. This school does not have a gym. Our children are going to be worked beyond words in a high school gym class. They are not doing their job!

St Mel School
15424 26th Ave, Flushing, NY  11354
Last modified St Mel School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8
St Mel School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 20 reviews.