Flushing, NY

St Mel School 2

Posted October 27, 2014
Great academics and lovely teachers, but the students are horrible. I've heard from many kids that they've been bullied and teased without being able to do anything. From my sources, the teachers try as best as they could to stop the teasing, but the students don't listen and do it behind their back. I would recommend this school for the education, but definitely not for social reasons.

St Mel School 4

Posted October 02, 2014
I totally disagree with the negative reviews. As in any other school, there are strengths and thetre are weaknesses. I currently have 4 children enrolled, each of which started in Nursery. My oldest will graduate this year. I can honestly say that Education is what YOU and YOUR CHILD put into it. The school environment is kind, nurturing, and loving. The families enrolled at St Mel's are what make it an amazing parish. Our new principal is "Not in his 20's" , as someone previously stated. (I would bet that persons child was asked to leave the school, hence the negative review) St.Mel's has become an academy this year. New, young, teachers have been hired for every grade. My children love their classes and their new teachers. There is minimal academic involvement by me at home because the teachers are actually doing their jobs & the kids know the study material when there is a test. Homework and projects are reasonable. Plenty of extra curricular activities to choose from. Very caring and loving classmates. I highly recommend the school. Both the Academy Board and the Faculty go above & beyond to help parents and students be happy at this school.

Posted August 16, 2014
They are changing the name and structure to St. Mel's Academy in an effort to change the image and negative reputation in the area. The academics area low and teaching quality substandard. To have a principal in his 20s leading other educators, without enough experience in the field speaks volumes regarding leadership. I agree totally with the below parent's review.

Posted August 10, 2014
AWFUL I would give it 0 stars if I could. The teachers don't teach the children anything, they're to concerned about wether your daughter has nail polish on. The teacher need to step up the academic work. The parents don't care. They let their child do whatever, but if their child complains that the work is to hard, the parents go right up to the principal to complain. I would not recommend this school to anybody.

Posted January 27, 2014
St. Mel's is a nurturing small school that provides a excellent academic education thru professional experienced teachers. My son is able to complete his homework by himself in 5-20 minutes. He loves all subjects and has fun in gym, art, music, and computer. If your child has a disability, this is an accepting school. The parish priest, principal, and teacher will take special interest in your child and do what they can to accommodate your child's needs. Even the other children are kind and tolerant. As a military brat, I have attended many schools along the east coast and abroad. I have never been a member of a clique or popular. By personal comparison, this school is very fair and treatment is unbiased.

Posted October 30, 2013
Love this school. I like that it's a small school. Everyone watches out for each other. The school year just started, give the principal a chance to prove himself before you say he doesn't have enough experience to run the school. He is very involved. I see him more than I saw the previous principal. This principal is planning on bringing in common core. If he does that, then this school will be even better. Good luck Mr. Stein. Hopefully you prove these negative families wrong, for the sake of the school.

St Mel School 3

Posted October 28, 2013
I put my daughter in this school, thinking that the smaller class sizes would be a plus. This school is not up to par with the curriculum. My daughter is in the third grade. There is such a difference in her work than the work of her friends in the public school system. ST MELS is significantly behind. I really wanted to give this school a chance but I may be transferring her out of it. As for the comments that if you are not one of their families, they are prejudice against you? I haven't seen this but in any school you go to there are cliques. Wether it's the children or the parents. You can't get away from that.

Posted October 27, 2013
I agree that if you are not one of their families you don't exist. the school is very prejudiced against certain families.The environment is not at all a Christian one.

Posted September 27, 2013
I am a former student and my children are now enrolled in this school. There is a great sense of family and security . As with any other institution we've had our ups and downs but if you do your part, you'll receive an excellent education!! There's a new principal, new teachers, and the pastor is on a mission to re-vamp this school. I highly recommend it, would never think of going elsewhere!

St Mel School 3

Posted September 05, 2011
If you are not one of "their" families, you are an outsider. The school is not welcoming, unless you are in the click. A whole school year can go by and wondered - who/where is the principal? With the scandal that was uncovered in January, only specific classes were informed. While the offender may not have had direct contact with entire school, information and updates should have been distributed to everyone. Parents shouldn't be informed through the news or only in the parish bulletin (again, their parishioners). In my eyes, the school is nothing special, compared to other parochial schools. I'm not saying it is a terrible school, but there is nothing especially great to boast about. I will end it this review on a good note - St. Mel School is financially more sound than other Catholic Schools and will stay in business for "their" students.

St Mel School