PK-8|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

Although there is a sense of community, the academics are lacking especially in the upper grades. My child has been repeatedly bullied at this school and nothing is ever done to effectively handle the situation. There is a major problem with bullying throughout the school. There are some very nice children who attend this school but unfortunately there are also some spoiled brats who think they can do whatever they please. The principal and staff fail to address certain issues perhaps due to monetary donations. This a great injustice to students and parents who want a safe learning environment. What are we paying for? I'm giving 2 stars for the sense of community among some of the families. If it wasn't for this, my rating would be 1 star.

Handles bullying effectively: Strongly disagree

Bullying is out of control in this school and nothing is done to rectify the situation.

Develops character: Strongly disagree

The principal and teachers ignore and the bullying that takes place in this school.

Teacher effectiveness: Disagree

Some teachers are good while others are extremely lacking.

It's the best. My kids have been at home since the day they started. I been in the school for 10 years now as a parent. Watched alot of great changes come our way. The children there are caring and kind and very smart. I couldn't of asked for any better. I was born and raised in Whitestone my whole life. I always thaught I was gonna move a little further away for a change. But st Mel's gave me all the reasons to stay. My theory In life is ,if your kids are happy and your wife is happy dont turn the page. I love what the school has done for my children. Thank you st Mel's.

Great academics and lovely teachers, but the students are horrible. I've heard from many kids that they've been bullied and teased without being able to do anything. From my sources, the teachers try as best as they could to stop the teasing, but the students don't listen and do it behind their back. I would recommend this school for the education, but definitely not for social reasons.

I totally disagree with the negative reviews. As in any other school, there are strengths and thetre are weaknesses. I currently have 4 children enrolled, each of which started in Nursery. My oldest will graduate this year. I can honestly say that Education is what YOU and YOUR CHILD put into it. The school environment is kind, nurturing, and loving. The families enrolled at St Mel's are what make it an amazing parish. Our new principal is "Not in his 20's" , as someone previously stated. (I would bet that persons child was asked to leave the school, hence the negative review) St.Mel's has become an academy this year. New, young, teachers have been hired for every grade. My children love their classes and their new teachers. There is minimal academic involvement by me at home because the teachers are actually doing their jobs & the kids know the study material when there is a test. Homework and projects are reasonable. Plenty of extra curricular activities to choose from. Very caring and loving classmates. I highly recommend the school. Both the Academy Board and the Faculty go above & beyond to help parents and students be happy at this school.

They are changing the name and structure to St. Mel's Academy in an effort to change the image and negative reputation in the area. The academics area low and teaching quality substandard. To have a principal in his 20s leading other educators, without enough experience in the field speaks volumes regarding leadership. I agree totally with the below parent's review.

AWFUL I would give it 0 stars if I could. The teachers don't teach the children anything, they're to concerned about wether your daughter has nail polish on. The teacher need to step up the academic work. The parents don't care. They let their child do whatever, but if their child complains that the work is to hard, the parents go right up to the principal to complain. I would not recommend this school to anybody.

St. Mel's is a nurturing small school that provides a excellent academic education thru professional experienced teachers. My son is able to complete his homework by himself in 5-20 minutes. He loves all subjects and has fun in gym, art, music, and computer. If your child has a disability, this is an accepting school. The parish priest, principal, and teacher will take special interest in your child and do what they can to accommodate your child's needs. Even the other children are kind and tolerant. As a military brat, I have attended many schools along the east coast and abroad. I have never been a member of a clique or popular. By personal comparison, this school is very fair and treatment is unbiased.

Last modified St Mel School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8