East West School Of International Studies

Public | 6-12 | 616 students

We are best known for Asian Studies program.

Posted Thursday, July 24, 2014

I strongly recommend East West to my friends. This school is a bit small but well organized. My daughter is going to 8th grade in September will be taking SHSAT some where in October. If she can get a better high school, will be great. Otherwise she can stay in East West till 12 grade. Looking forward!

Posted December 15, 2013

My son and niece both attend East-West. They transferred from our zoned middle school which they hated because of bullying and overcrowding. Now at East-West, they love the school so much and most importantly, feel safe at East-West. This is so important to my sister and I who are both working moms. For our children to love school and feel safe is priceless. The administration, faculty and staff all contribute to this exceptional asset at East-West. We are so grateful! Thank you so much.

Posted August 12, 2013

My thoughts on the East-West School of International Studies. My reasons for attending East-West were simple, I wanted to learn Japanese, however as time drew on, reasons for attending became more complex as they do multiply. These were the reasons then become the very things that make you stay. This is because East-West isn t your average run of the mill high school. This school is small with close to if not more than 600 middle and high school students, densely packed on the top floor of a school building shared with a middle school, thus giving you the chance to converse with students who reside from various backgrounds. Yes, this school is incredibly diverse. Even amidst the teachers and staff most of them hale from different creeds and have their own unique way of teaching and working, however every one shares kindness and respect for one-another. This is an ever changing school with tons of unique people, possibilities, and opportunities.

Posted August 9, 2013

I am a East West alumni for middle school and currently an incoming senior at another school. I cannot say that I had some great times at East West, but what I can is say that the teachers are all who like what they do. The teachers are all extremely helpful and willing to stay after school to attend to the students. Some really great teachers left when my year graduated, but the principal, Mr. Sherman is still there. He is a great principal, and he really cares about his students. However, East West is an incredibly small school. This may seem like a small factor but it is actually a really big deal. East west has a middle school and a high school. This means that you will see the same people for 7 years. By the third year, I already wanted out. I can honestly say that I got along with everyone in my grade. Everyone was everyone's friend, but even then, seeing these people everyday for 7 years just didn't cut it for me so I left at the third year. Bottom line-- East West is a great school, small class size, but would only recommend people to stay for middle school. ( Unless you want to be stuck in the same environment for 7 years.)

Posted July 24, 2013

I have taken a few moments to sit back and reflect on what I have learned here at East-West. High School is the driving force, the transition from the person you once were, to the person you desire to become. No school accomplishes that more than East-West. I've grown to assert myself and stand firm to the ideas I believe in. I am now an independent, ambitious, curious and outgoing young woman. I am eternally grateful to my past teachers and to my principal, Mr. Sherman, who have helped shape me into becoming who I am today. My teachers have seen and influenced me to grow from a shy student to a confident, bright young woman. What I enjoyed the most about attending this school was making so many friends from different ethnicities. This only fulfills the idea of East-West being so international. We are a diverse community; I'm friends with Asians, Whites and Hispanics. They have all given me opportunities to learn about their cultures. East-West has never given up on me and has pushed me in doing the best I can by encouraging me to challenge myself. I will cherish the good friends I made here at East-West, and the unforgettable lessons I have experienced.

Posted June 15, 2013

This school is great,I like that they teach mandarin,japanese and korean.I love their clubs,but i think they should have a music class

Posted February 12, 2013

East-West isn't just a school, but a community as well. The teachers here at East-West are dedicated to what they do and will do anything in their power to help their students succeed. Being a small school, teachers get to know their students on a one-on-one level. By forming bonds with each other, the teachers get a better understanding of the student. What make's East-West so unique is our language program. While many other schools teach their students Spanish, Latin, or Italian the students of East-West get to choose between Japanese, Chinese, or Korean. Because these countries are economically growing and are turning into world leaders, we should focus on these languages so that in the future we are prepared to make long lasting connections. Alongside these classes, every summer East-West offers students the opportunity to travel to China, Korea, and Japan. If you are considering East-West, take it from someone who has been here for six years, it's a great school. There are so many opportunities East-West has to offer, it's only a matter of you taking advantage of it. Looking back at the past five years I've been at East-West, I really cannot complain.

Posted February 12, 2013

East-West is a small school with caring teachers who challenge you to do your best and support you when you're in doubt.

Posted February 12, 2013

East-West School is a great school that challenged me academically and prepared me well enough to take the Specialized High School Admission Test and get accepted to Stuyvesant High School!

Posted August 31, 2012

I think this school is great. I say this because without East-West and its language options, I would have never gone to South Korea and Japan. I took Korean in middle school and other students, myself included, visited South Korea. We all had an amazing time; some of us didn t want to come back to the States. South Korea was a great experience. Now Japan was a life changing experience. The country is beautiful and the people are very respectful. Everybody there has respect for each other. My host family in Japan was very nice and they taught me some words and phrases, taught me how to use chopsticks better, joked with me, and they always had a smile on their face. They made me look at life differently. Japan changed my lifestyle. Because of South Korea, Japan, East-West, the teachers and my parents, I have been able to go to these countries and the fact that I can speak a little Korean and Japanese is even better. I can cherish this in my life. This is why I think this school, East-West School of International Studies, is a unique and great school.

Posted August 23, 2012

My daughter entered East-West in the 8th grade after she had experienced some difficulties with academics in her zoned middle school. She had struggled with math and English through 6th and 7th grade and fell behind with her grades. Unfortunately her school, which was enormously overcrowded, did not provide her additional support and she continued to flounder. She was fortunate enough to have been given a chance in the 8th grade at East-West. I say fortunate because every student at East-West is treated individually and given the full academic, social, and emotional support from the kind and dedicated staff. With this support she has made a true turn around and is now excited to attend high school at East- West. East-West holds high expectations for every child in the school while providing every child with the necessary support and guidance to help them graduate and get accepted to an accredited university.

Posted August 22, 2012

I have been given so many great opportunities and scholarships thanks to those in this school. I have grown a lot since my first year from being a 70 to 80 student in 7thgrade, in my senior year I became Class of 2012 Salutatorian. From not being involved in any clubs, I became a student that spent most of her after school time dedicated to clubs. From being someone whose heart pounded and palms sweated when presenting something to class, I became a student who can confidently speak in front of hundreds of people. From being any other student I became someone who students and teachers positively recognize. After experiencing everything I have and meeting some of the greatest teachers and friends in my life I am proud to say that I was a part of the East-West family for 6 years now. These people have always supported me, when I was at my worst of times, and the best of times. This is a journey I will always cherish and never forget. I couldn t have asked for a better experience. I am very grateful.

Posted August 6, 2012

East West School of International Studies is an Excellent School to attend. My son graduated from East West class of 2012 in June. Before coming to EWIS he had the hardest time adjusting with Junior High School. He was lost in a system with teachers who had no time or patience to deal with students individual needs. There was also a lot of violence and gang activity going on within the JHS. It was like sending my son to war. My son became very quiet and distant, his grades where horrible, he never wanted to go to school. I truly believe he would have dropped out of High School if he did not go to East West. Once my son began going to EWIS he became a completely different person. It was like a metamorphosis. He was provided with a safe environment to grow academically with social and emotional support that he truly needed to become the young man that he is today. The teachers are amazing! The Principal is the best! The entire staff treated my son as if he was their own. My son is a confident young man with high self esteem, he is now attending College. The graduation rate for this school is 99.% that in itself is a miracle. I Highly recommend EWIS!

Posted April 23, 2012

I cannot say enough about East-West. I highly recommend it for so many reasons, and quite frankly I feel that this is the absolute best place for my child to receive her high school education, ensuring that her college preparatory needs are being met. My lovely 15-year-old daughter is quiet and reserved, although brilliant in her own way and witty as can be. At home she shines as our star. Her school experience had not been anything like this until she arrived at your school. My beautiful daughter has made the Honor Roll three marking periods. She strives to do better and enjoys it. She has made the nicest bunch of friends from so many different cultures where no one shuts her out because we are not the same!! Friendships were made quickly here and school makes her happy! She never says, "I don't want to go to school today" anymore. This school has the most caring staff I have ever met, a principal who loves what he does, and students that are just as kind as my on child. I thank all of the staff, from the bottom of my heart, for helping my daughter shine. You are all wonderful at the many jobs that you do, and we are so much more fortunate to have you guiding our children!

Posted January 13, 2012

East-West is doing a great job preparing my children for high school. My daughter Priya is on the honor roll. She has grown as a public speaker because there are more opportunities for her to get involved. She was able to join the Student Government cabinet and act in the school play.

Posted January 13, 2012

East-West is a great school. They provide opportunities for students to grow beyond academics. In his three years at middle school, my son joined the Model UN and the MOUSE Squad. He was able to visit the UN and watch a debate, as a middle school student!

Posted December 22, 2011

I have had a good time in the 4 years I have been at East-West. I was even given a scholarship to attend a free trip to Korea. I was exposed to a completely new culture and observed how others on the other side of the globe live their lives. Our teachers also traveled with us, one of them being Ms. Rhi, a Korean teacher, who helped us travel around Korea and guide us around its amazing cities. The teachers here at East West also made it worthwhile. Most of them offer tutoring and help on the subjects they teach. They really make sure that almost all the students pass each marking period. I graduate tomorrow and I can truly say that I am going to miss East-West. I have a lot of memories here which I cherish, and a lot more to make as I leave with the things I learned onto the road of success. Each step I take puts me closer to success and East-West was one of those important steps. Every step takes me up closer to success and there is no such thing as failure, just temporary failure disguised as success, we just have to have our eyes and mind open when it appears.

Posted December 22, 2011

As a first year science teacher, the support I received from the administration and fellow teachers was more than I hoped for. The administration provided a support group called the First Year Teacher Circle , in which we met to discuss various topics and concerns we had as new teachers. I was also a member of TEAM ELL, a professional learning group comprised of teachers from different fields. We met weekly with an ESL Coach to discuss how we can better support our English Language Learners and develop better practices. I received great mentoring support from the head of the science department inside and outside of the classroom and encouragement and advice from other helpful teachers which helped me accommodate to this school. I was able to go above and beyond by offering physics tutoring on weekends and supervising a student fitness club. To work with such a great group of people is a rarity. As a first year teacher, it is a privilege to work beside them in this unique school.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted December 22, 2011

None of the 800 or so days of my own high school career were as absorbing or revelatory as a single day observing what goes on at East-West, where the future is quite literally being invented in one of the most exciting and diverse neighborhoods in New York City. Although East-West is a relatively new institution, the school has already developed a distinctive, cooperative culture in which the ubiquitous anti bullying posters of the public school system seem decidedly out of place. When Principal Sherman raised his arm to quiet the auditorium for morning assembly, the air was instantly filled with the upraised hands of teachers and students alike, and the normal morning hubbub quickly subsided in a triumph not so much of discipline as of dedication to a common purpose. I came away from my day at East West convinced that its graduates will form part of a new generation of bright, well-informed, internationally minded New Yorkers from whom the city, the nation and the world can expect great things.

Posted December 22, 2011

I came to East-West, freshmen year, as a shy, not very out-spoken, antisocial individual. This all changed as I became more engaged with school activities and befriended many people. I graduated this year as the valedictorian. Through studying Asian language and culture, I became more aware of the world around me in terms of the global community. I m proud to say that, when saying hello in Japanese or Korean, one must bow. My experiences in East-West have taught how to be a leader in various clubs, mature as an individual, perform hours of community service as a humanitarian, become independent as a young adult and a better person in general. The East-West experience is unforgettable and will open many opportunities in the future with the all the skills and tools gained over four years. I left East-West as a completely different person, for the better. I was accepted into the Chinese Flagship Center Program at Hunter College, where I will be able to fluently speak Chinese after four years. I will be studying to pursue a career as an ambassador or diplomat to China in the future. If it wasn't for East-West, I wouldn't be where I am today.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 30% in 2013.

77 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 30% in 2013.

78 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

Beginning in the 2012-2013 school year, the New York State Department of Instruction implemented new assessments designed to be aligned with the Common Core State Standards. The new standards for proficiency in these subjects are higher than in previous years and the percent of students earning a proficient score is expected to be lower as a result of this change. See this letter from New York's Commissioner of Education for more information on these changes.

In 2012-2013 New York used the New York State Assessments to test students in grades 3 through 8 in English language arts and math, and in grades 4 and 8 in Science. The tests are standards-based, which means they measure how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of New York. The goal is for 90% of students to meet or exceed grade-level standards on the tests.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 31% in 2013.

86 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 27% in 2013.

88 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 33% in 2013.

88 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 27% in 2013.

87 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 69% in 2013.

87 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students45%

English language learners45%
Proficient in English75%
Non-migrant68%
Scale: % proficient or advanced

The different student groups are identified by the New York Department of Education. If there are fewer than 5 students in a particular group, the state doesn't report data for that group.

All Students45%

General population88%
Proficient in English85%
Non-migrant85%

Algebra II/Trigonometry

The state average for Algebra II/Trigonometry was 66% in 2013.

75 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 76% in 2013.

29 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 72% in 2013.

94 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English

The state average for English was 77% in 2013.

153 students were tested at this school in 2013.

French

The state average for French was 95% in 2011.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 74% in 2013.

127 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Global History and Geography

The state average for Global History and Geography was 71% in 2013.

133 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Integrated Algebra

The state average for Integrated Algebra was 73% in 2013.

225 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Italian

The state average for Italian was 98% in 2011.

Living Environment

The state average for Living Environment was 77% in 2013.

103 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Physics

The state average for Physics was 81% in 2013.

27 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Spanish

The state average for Spanish was 94% in 2011.

U.S. History and Government

The state average for U.S. History and Government was 80% in 2013.

85 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % passing

In 2012-2013 New York used the New York State Regents Examinations to test high school students in English, math, global history and geography, US history and government, living environment, chemistry, Earth science and physics. Students must take at least five Regents Exams in order to graduate. Scores of 65 and above are passing; scores of 55 and above earn credit toward a local diploma (with the approval of the local board of education). The goal is for all students to pass the tests.

Algebra II/Trigonometry

Proficient in English97%
Non-migrant96%
Scale: % passing

Source: New York State Education Department

In 2009-2010, this school was given a grade of "A" for the middle school level. The school received a grade of "A" for the high school level.

Progress Report Grades measure the school's contribution to student learning in three areas: School Environment, Student Performance and Student Progress. Schools can receive additional credit for achieving exemplary performance progress among high-needs students. Progress Report Grades range from A to F.

Source: New York City Department of Education

Master's degree and above 44%N/A39%

Teacher credentials

Teachers with no valid teaching certificate 0%N/A0%

Teacher resources

Foreign languages spoken by school staff Arabic languages
Chinese (Cantonese)
Italian
Japanese
Korean
Chinese (Mandarin)
Russian
Spanish
Tagalog
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Arts & music

• College prep programs/courses during the year
  • College presentations or information sessions
  • Community college courses
  • School-sponsored trips to college campuses
The NYC Department of Education asked parents, teachers and students about their school's learning environment. Results provide insight into school climate, such as whether the school is academically rigorous, safe, communicative and collaborative. Learn more

The information captured by the survey is designed to support a dialogue among all members of the school community about how to make the school a better place to learn. An overall category score is calculated for each respondent group (parents, teachers, or students) by averaging the scores of the questions within that survey category.

Category scores for each of the respondent groups are then combined to form overall category scores. Alongside the results for each school are the aggregated results across all NYC public schools, which are provided as a basis for comparisons.

Learn more about the NYC DOE survey »Close
Based on 836 responses

This school provides ... 1

A safe and respectful environmentWhat's this?

This score measures whether parents, students and teachers feel that the school creates a physically and emotionally secure environment in which everyone can focus on student learning.

8.0

8.3

8.4

7.6

8.6

8.0

Clear, useful communication about educational goalsWhat's this?

This score measures whether parents, students and teachers feel that the school provides information about the school's educational goals and offers appropriate feedback on each student's learning outcome.

7.6

8.5

7.5

7.8

Strong parent, teacher and student engagementWhat's this?

This score measures how engaged parents, students and teachers feel they are in an active and vibrant partnership to promote student learning.

7.1

6.9

6.8

7.8

High academic expectations for all studentsWhat's this?

This score measures how well parents, students and teachers feel that the school develops rigorous and meaningful academic goals that encourage students to do their best.

7.9

Parents19333%
Students61597%
Teachers2867%

12012-2013 New York City Department of Education School Survey

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school
  • MR. BEN SHERMAN
Best ways for parents to contact the school
Special schedule
  • Extended/longer school day
  • Part-time study
Is there an application process?
Fax number

• Tagalog
Extra learning resources offered
  • Career/college counseling
  • Remediation
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)
College preparation / awareness resources offered

Performing arts
  • Dance
  • Drama

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Student newspaper