Ps 144 Col Jeromus Remsen

Public | PK-5 & ungraded | 710 students

Posted July 2, 2014

I'm all for kids having fun, but in a school, I primarily want to make sure my child is learning well and establishing a good foundation for his future. so far, PS 144 has been amazing in that regard. the teachers and principal encourage parent participation and provide detailed feedback on my son's progress in class. They are always responsive to queries and guide me on areas that I can focus on at home to supplement his learnin in school. Other than reading, writing and math, they also have special science residencies, art, dance, and music lessons and also run a great after school program. The parents association is very involved and help out new parents with a strong support system. another great bonus is the great cultural diversity in the classroom here. In my son's class there are about 15 different countries represented and the parents are all involved in their childs education. In todays global times, I think these are the elements that prepare anyone for a strong future ahead, and I'm glad I gave up my son's G&T seat elsewhere to come to PS 144.

Posted May 14, 2014

my older boy is in the G&T class since 3rd grade. he love it here. my younger son join the same program in first grade. Both of their teachers are great, warm, reachable (email are welcome by both teachers), giving them attention and support. but the best of all is The Principle - Ms Schneider is the greatest scholar you ever meet. She is involved with classes, school events, supports knowledge, friendship and challenge. Our parent - teacher coordinate ALWAYS gives you an answer within short time and ALWAYS helps us with anything. PS 144 needs every parent to be involved in fundraising, bake sales, trips...etc . We love PS 144. Keep the good work and math circle.

Posted April 2, 2014

Is a great school, I recently moved to New York and enrolled my daughter in this school. The principal and teachers have advised me that my daughter is regularized. I have lots of support from the school regarding the integration

Posted November 6, 2013

My son just started kindergarten at this school and we love it. The administration is very open and engaged and parent participation and feedback are very welcomed. My son is already reading and writing and loves doing his math homework. The PA is very active and strong. This school is great!

Posted October 28, 2013

this school is very good, all teachers are nice, the teacher in fourth grade put many effort in math quick quiz which improved the students's skill. my son is in ESL now, their ESL teacher is good, nice and have sense of responsibility. My son has improved much in reading and writing.

Posted October 24, 2013

My son is in K this year. He absolutely loves his teacher and has great respect for her. It has been almost two months only, and I can already see great improvement in his writing and reading. The principal greets kids and parents as we show up every morning with big smile and hugs. She and the staff are very open to parents, their questions and input. My son and me are very happy!!!! Thank you PS144

Posted September 11, 2013

This school has good teachers and strong PA community, however, the school officials are rude and not willing to work with parents.

Posted August 1, 2013

PS 144 is a wonderful school to start with. The programs and the level of education is fair. It's can be great at times, and certainly above average. The level of education your child receives REALLY depends on who the teacher is. I have 2 kids in PS144, and it's been a mixed bag of teachers, some exceptionally great and some...well..don't seem to want to be there, other than for the paychecks. The administration is very good and caring. I definitely want to give them lots of credit, and probably a good reason why the school is in strong standings. The PA is strong some years and weak in others, and all depends on the leaders voted in, and the amount of parent participation. The whole experience can be a hit-or-miss, and it sort of hinges on who the teacher is, and the parents in the class. Depending on the mix, you could get a fantastic or really bad year.

Posted December 19, 2012

I can't say enough good things about this school. The PA is awesome! They are the engine for all of the extracurricular activities that make this school stand out above the rest! There are residencies in every grade; the kids participate in enrichment programs/cultural activities that are otherwise not provided by the DOE. The philosophy if the school is to educate kids be well rounded individuals rather than just focusing on testing on standardized testing. The school community is very nurturing and collective. Anything that I don't like about the school has to do with the current education mentality in this country rather than with the school itself. A happy and progressive parent

Posted March 20, 2012

Previous reviewer: while I agree with you wholeheartedly about the quality of faculty and programming at 144, I hope you will take the time to develop a greater understanding of the role of the PA board. Among other valuable programs, our fundraising supports the art and science residencies that mitigate the lack of full DOE support in the visual and performing arts. The PA also supports the school's Penny Harvest and other community-oriented fundraisers, which certainly promote greater social consciousness. I agree that plastic or sugary treats are far from ideal, but these only make up a small portion of the fundraising efforts, and these incentives, unfortunately, seem to be the only means to entice some to donate. Those who have the financial wherewithal donate without premium, and I hope we may count you among them. As for the co-managed seats, note that these positions are time-intensive and with so many initiatives to manage, it is only fair that the unpaid responsibilities of these positions be shared. I hope you find the time to work with the PA and perhaps take on some of these responsibilities, attend meetings, and even suggest approaches you find less compromising.

Posted March 19, 2012

I love this school and the faculty. The only drawback is the PA. I've never seen a bumbling bunch of people in my life. They may have the best of intentions, but they are terrible at promoting civic-mindedness or health and well-being. Every event is inundated with Oriental-Trading-plastic-garbage toys. It's nauseating. The fund raisers use things like candy baskets and other unhealthy fare. I'll happily support this school, but I've taught my kids what quality and a healthy lifestyle are and I can't support what the PA does. Don't even get me started on the fact that they have and had a "co-president" and "co-vice-president". If you can't make the simplest of decisions (picking a leader), how can I trust you to make a decision regarding the development of hundreds of children? I'd love to give it 5 stars, but I honestly can't until a change of staff in the PA. Everything else about the school is awesome... I'd also get rid of the Ice-cream-Fridays (another PA thing, I believe).

Posted March 16, 2012

My son is in a special needs program here and has really made great leaps forward. The school has a warm and inviting feel, and the staff is consistently friendly and helpful. I have another son in PS101 nearby, and this is definitely the better of the two schools in my book.

Posted March 14, 2012

We transferred my son from PS 196 , Because of their teachers quality . I can not tell you how happy i am with my son's improvement . My son hated going to class when he was in P.S. 196. I had to fight with him to convince to go and it broke my heart when he screamed for me not to leave him there when I turn away. His school teacher had no patience for the kids . When my son started his Kindergarten in P.S. 144 , I could say he has improved & he is a lot more happier with his new teacher . The whole staff there is wonderful & the principal is really sweet and caring .

Posted March 5, 2012

The rating for PS 144 needs to be updated. The principal, Ms. Gluck-Schneider, is a wonderful, intelligent, and caring leader, who shows up at the morning line-up to greet the kids n parents with a warm smile. I pick up my 1st-grader at the after-school program at 6 pm, and she is sometimes there too. PS144 has inclusive and fun events for families. She interacts with the kids and parents openly and with a sense of humor. She personally answers emails from parents and I am very grateful to have a strong and fair role model for my child. My child has a PDD-NOS diagnosis. l called the school prior to the first day of school to get some information, and the principal answered the phone herself saying that the only people there were the janitors and herself. She asked who my child was and I explained that my child with an IEP will start the next day. Then, the principal asked, "What are her gifts and interests?" I felt ecstatic to have my child welcomed into a new school with open arms. Did I mention how great the teachers are? The CTT teachers and paras are attentive, detail-oriented, and caring! The PTA is also hard working and puts the children first no matter what.

Posted February 17, 2012

My son is in 2nd grade. He loves school and comes home happy every day. The difference between his desire to learn here at PS144 and at the Catholic school he was attending is astonishing. His teacher is caring, communicates with me should she have concerns or to share the good stuff too. The field trips and residencies are great. I admire the teachers and staff there (and principal) for striking the right balance between being focused on test scores and allowing students to engage in real learning. Well done.

Posted January 6, 2012

My daughter is currently in 1st grade and thus far, her and us as parents cannot say enough of the warm and caring atmosphere this school offers. The curriculum is also pretty demanding, but this is a good thing and have seen significant strides in our daughter's academic and social growth while attending this school.

Posted June 13, 2011

I am glad this term is almost over. I never saw a principal so obsessed with her self interest instead of caring about the children. She must have come from "The Academy" since any exhibit of professional experience is sorely lacking.

Posted November 29, 2010

PS 144 is a wonderful school a very good stuff. All my 3 kids went to this school their teachers were and still fantastic....because my grandson is now in PK (room 117) and the teachers are excellent and very nice with all the kids, my grand son is learning a lot for his age as a grandmother I am very happy ....

Posted May 11, 2010

The teachers are committed to each and every student - they go the extra mile for the students and the school. The level of participation of the teachers in the school and after school activities is amazing. A great team!!!

Posted May 6, 2010

Fantastic, caring, supportive teachers...who could ask for anything more!!!

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 31% in 2013.

109 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 34% in 2013.

113 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

Beginning in the 2012-2013 school year, the New York State Department of Instruction implemented new assessments designed to be aligned with the Common Core State Standards. The new standards for proficiency in these subjects are higher than in previous years and the percent of students earning a proficient score is expected to be lower as a result of this change. See this letter from New York's Commissioner of Education for more information on these changes.

In 2012-2013 New York used the New York State Assessments to test students in grades 3 through 8 in English language arts and math, and in grades 4 and 8 in Science. The tests are standards-based, which means they measure how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of New York. The goal is for 90% of students to meet or exceed grade-level standards on the tests.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 30% in 2013.

103 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 36% in 2013.

104 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 90% in 2013.

103 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 31% in 2013.

92 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 30% in 2013.

94 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students56%

General population73%
Proficient in English75%
Non-migrant71%
Scale: % proficient or advanced

The different student groups are identified by the New York Department of Education. If there are fewer than 5 students in a particular group, the state doesn't report data for that group.

All Students56%

English language learners20%
Proficient in English64%
Non-migrant59%

Source: New York State Education Department

In 2009-2010, this school was given a grade of "B" for the elementary school level.

Progress Report Grades measure the school's contribution to student learning in three areas: School Environment, Student Performance and Student Progress. Schools can receive additional credit for achieving exemplary performance progress among high-needs students. Progress Report Grades range from A to F.

Source: New York City Department of Education

Master's degree and above 63%N/A39%

Teacher credentials

Teachers with no valid teaching certificate 0%N/A0%
Source: NYSED, 2011-2012
The NYC Department of Education asked parents, teachers and students about their school's learning environment. Results provide insight into school climate, such as whether the school is academically rigorous, safe, communicative and collaborative. Learn more

The information captured by the survey is designed to support a dialogue among all members of the school community about how to make the school a better place to learn. An overall category score is calculated for each respondent group (parents, teachers, or students) by averaging the scores of the questions within that survey category.

Category scores for each of the respondent groups are then combined to form overall category scores. Alongside the results for each school are the aggregated results across all NYC public schools, which are provided as a basis for comparisons.

Learn more about the NYC DOE survey »Close
Based on 417 responses

This school provides ... 1

A safe and respectful environmentWhat's this?

This score measures whether parents, students and teachers feel that the school creates a physically and emotionally secure environment in which everyone can focus on student learning.

8.0

8.5

8.4

9.1

8.0

Clear, useful communication about educational goalsWhat's this?

This score measures whether parents, students and teachers feel that the school provides information about the school's educational goals and offers appropriate feedback on each student's learning outcome.

8.4

8.5

9.3

7.8

Strong parent, teacher and student engagementWhat's this?

This score measures how engaged parents, students and teachers feel they are in an active and vibrant partnership to promote student learning.

8.2

9.3

7.8

High academic expectations for all studentsWhat's this?

This score measures how well parents, students and teachers feel that the school develops rigorous and meaningful academic goals that encourage students to do their best.

8.7

RespondentsResponse rate
Parents36762%
Teachers5093%

12012-2013 New York City Department of Education School Survey

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

93-02 69th Ave